Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Marple Technical Institute  (Read 4622 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Technical Institute
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
It would be great to see a scan of the certificate, however, I'm guessing that the Hilary you mention who has found the booklet could be Hilary Atkinson, chair of Marple Local History Society, so likely that the booklet comes from the Society's archives?

Anyway, if you are able to send scans as Rudolph requests, I could also share them with the present day owner of the house, who I know quite well, and I'm sure would be interested to see them too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Rudolph Hucker

Re: Marple Technical Institute
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:03:47 PM »
Research conducted by a former owner of the property suggests the following:

Originally built as a barn for Chapel House Farm around 1760.
Reference is made to the barn being used as a school from 1831 until All Saints Primary was opened in 1838.
From then until 1921 the barn was known as the Technical Institute - believed to have educated mill apprentices.
The earliest reference to it being a residence was 1871.
In 1919 Margaret Anne Young (* see below) sold the technical institute.
In 1921 the name was changed to The Bungalow.
The gardens (as they are now laid out) were probably established by a Mary Boothroyd, a keen gardener who lived there between 1934 and 1963
The property was completely renovated and re-roofed in 1979/80
It was re-named Bobbin Mill by the researcher, who bought the house in 1986

* The researcher believed Margaret was the widow of Edmund Turner Young, killed in action in Gallipoli in 1915, who they also believed was the owner of the Technical Institute in 1871. However Marple's Great War reference "Remembered" by Messrs Clarke, Cook and Bintliff (a fine read, copies are probably still available :-) supports that Edmund was killed in 1915 but that he was only aged 35, and furthermore was the son of Margarate Anne (and Col. Thomas Pilkington) and that they lived at The Mount in Marple. NB. Edmund's Grandfather was the Late Squire Turner of Marple [capitalisation as per "Remembered"] so it's fair to say the family link is plausible, even if not exactly as researched.

Goldie61, is there any chance you could scan the certificate, and the old booklet, and e-mail them to Admin so he can add them to the website archives??

Many thanks,

RH.

sgk

goldie61

Marple Technical Institute
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
Hi
I've recently come across a certificate of my fathers' from the 'Marple Technical Institute' in 1927.
Does anybody know anything about it? I see from the old photos it was on Waterside.
I wonder when it opened? or closed down?
The certificate was part of a three year Commercial Course - would this have been night classes?

I have been in touch with Hilary who has found an old booklet (like a syllabus), about it, but am putting out a plea for any other information or memories people might have.

many thanks