A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Manchester Evening News  (Read 3038 times)

Bowden Guy

Re: Manchester Evening News
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
The days of general newspapers must be limited. I work in a college and, during the past few years, I have NEVER seen a young student reading or carrying a paper. They do everything via their phones these days. Still a market for niche publications, though.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Ithink there has been a marked decline in the MEN since it was sold.

By being sold I meant the MEN group (Now owned by Trinity Holdings) not the product

mikes

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »
It's free in the city on Thursday and Friday

the rover

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

I thought it was sold Monday - Saturday!!!!!

wheels

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »

mikes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »
The web based version of the MEN Business News is very good.  They send two updates per day, one early morning and one around lunchtime, provides all the local business news worth having.   

Howard

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
I have made a decision to stop buying "The Manchester Evening News". In my opinion it has priced itself out and presents "yesterdays" news.

You're right about the yesterday's news, Alan. They publish the front page of the Manchester EVENING News on Twitter at around 7:30am every morning. However, they have the same problem that many newspapers are encountering. They have reduced circulation owing to competition from the free newspapers (e.g., The Metro) and the immediacy of the broadcast media. I suppose in addition that a generation has grown up expecting their news NOW and for free through new media upstarts such as Facebook and Twitter. The only way that the MEN publishers can get back the revenue from lost circulation quickly is to bump up the price and cut costs. the quickest way to reduce costs is to lose their most expensive resources who also happen to be their most experienced journalists.

The MEN is a great northern institution and I hope they will do something radical to save it. If you look at how the London Evening Standard decided to compete with free papers by supporting itself through advertising without too much of a corresponding drop in quality that might be a model that the MEN will investigate.

alan@marple

Manchester Evening News
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
I have made a decision to stop buying "The Manchester Evening News". In my opinion it has priced itself out and presents "yesterdays" news. Most of the news I get on the day it happens from local radio and TV.

I don't know whether it is given free in the city still, but that, I am sure, must have contributed to the ever increasing cost the the paper. I believe that the "Stockport Express" gives better value albeit it does carry over a lot from it's parent "M.E.N. 50p an issue-no thanks!