Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Marple Shops V Asda  (Read 45206 times)

Harry

Re: Marple Shops V Asda
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
The local shops will probably be thankful for the new Asda store, as it may provide one of the few places to park in Marple once Chadwick Street car park has gone.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
I'm happy to enlighten you, Miss M, from a post which I made a month or so ago:

I went shopping in Stockport this morning.  As usual, I parked at Sainsbury's (but you can also do this at Asda, of course), went in and picked up a few fruit and veg and a loaf to get my £1 refunded, and then strolled off to Comet, Argos, Marks and Sparks and the market to do the rest of my shopping.  

That's what we can expect when Asda comes to Marple - a proportion of Asda shoppers will use the opportunity to visit other local shops while they are here.  This increased footfall should provide a major boost to most local businesses.  Of course, there will be winners and losers.  The chief losers will be the Co-op, Iceland, Boots and Superdrug.  But they are big national chains who we don't need to shed many tears
for, do we
On  the other hand, the winners will outnumber those, and they will also be the small local businesses.  In Market Street I'm thinking of the hairdressers, the two jewellers, the picture framer, Alan's Paints, Harmony Decor, Crafty Ladies, Sew In, Helen Winterson, Bare Necessities, the opticians, the charity shops, Paul Howard, also Harrods car spares, and the tanning salon and the chippy in Derby Way - all the many businesses where Asda won't directly compete.

Dave by the time all these shoppers have walked round ASDA, loaded up their car how much time will they have to walk and browse in the small local shops ?  You only get two hours free parking on a supermarket car park.  Not much chance of enjoying a coffee in Toast, having a shampoo and set then choosing a pair of knickers from Bare Necessities is there  :-\

Ooh miss marples don't you mean thongs or something like that . It's a wonder that's not been censored .there websites not bad .either . Keep smiling  :D

amazon

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »
Dave i think the comparison of walking around the Coop to get a tin of beans compared to undertaking a mini marathon in a ASDA size supermarket is a little different don't you.  I can not speak on behalf of anyone else but when I have shopped at a large supermarket and walked round and round and  fell foul to their marketing ploy which is to get us to buy more than we really want/need I just want to get home.  I wouldn't think.  Oh I won't get my pound of tripe, two tomatoes , or a crusty cob here, I will walk over and support and  purchase it from my local shops.  Dave my friend you are deluded or retired, because when I go to a large supermarket I go after work when all local shops are closed and parking is at a premium

Research on supermarkets, however, will till you that their maximum demand period is Saturday & Sundays. I know this, because its the time periods highways consultants are always requested to assess when looking at a new store. Its also when I shop. I'm not retired, but I do have kids and the last thing I want to do after a hard days work, with needing to put the kids to bed,  is to go to a supermarket for a 'big shop'.

I really do think Dave has a point. I've just been to Tesco's for my main food shopping this week as I can't do a full shop at the Coop. But I have just wasted circa 50 minutes driving there and back. If I could use a local supermarket in Marple Town Centre, I would also use the other shops and probably re-use my lost 50 minutes for a coffee / bun, etc. I know I would.

I'm not going to speak for the rest of Marple, but for me a local supermarket would lead me to use Marple Centre more often. Thats no reason for me to support a supermarket scheme, but it is a reason for me to currently remain unconvinced that a store would definitely wipe out the other Marple shops.

Report on tv this week a lot of the shops are closing not through supermarkets but high rates and rents they are charged ,so yo can't blame everything on supermarkets .

Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »
Miss Marple writes:
I wouldn't think.  Oh I won't get my pound of tripe, two tomatoes , or a crusty cob here, I will walk over and support and  purchase it from my local shops. 
...but she seems to have missed my point.  It's not about tripe or crusty cobs!  The majority of local shops in Marple provide goods and services that Asda wouldn't provide - and indeed, the Co-op doesn't provide.  See my list of examples in reply 1 above.   

One thing we all agree on is that more people will shop in Marple if we have a proper supermarket here.  If more people are shopping in Marple, then those many local businesses which don't compete with the supermarket can only do better.  Can't they?

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
On Hibbert Lane ?

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Dave i think the comparison of walking around the Coop to get a tin of beans compared to undertaking a mini marathon in a ASDA size supermarket is a little different don't you.  I can not speak on behalf of anyone else but when I have shopped at a large supermarket and walked round and round and  fell foul to their marketing ploy which is to get us to buy more than we really want/need I just want to get home.  I wouldn't think.  Oh I won't get my pound of tripe, two tomatoes , or a crusty cob here, I will walk over and support and  purchase it from my local shops.  Dave my friend you are deluded or retired, because when I go to a large supermarket I go after work when all local shops are closed and parking is at a premium

Research on supermarkets, however, will till you that their maximum demand period is Saturday & Sundays. I know this, because its the time periods highways consultants are always requested to assess when looking at a new store. Its also when I shop. I'm not retired, but I do have kids and the last thing I want to do after a hard days work, with needing to put the kids to bed,  is to go to a supermarket for a 'big shop'.

I really do think Dave has a point. I've just been to Tesco's for my main food shopping this week as I can't do a full shop at the Coop. But I have just wasted circa 50 minutes driving there and back. If I could use a local supermarket in Marple Town Centre, I would also use the other shops and probably re-use my lost 50 minutes for a coffee / bun, etc. I know I would.

I'm not going to speak for the rest of Marple, but for me a local supermarket would lead me to use Marple Centre more often. Thats no reason for me to support a supermarket scheme, but it is a reason for me to currently remain unconvinced that a store would definitely wipe out the other Marple shops.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Dave i think the comparison of walking around the Coop to get a tin of beans compared to undertaking a mini marathon in a ASDA size supermarket is a little different don't you.  I can not speak on behalf of anyone else but when I have shopped at a large supermarket and walked round and round and  fell foul to their marketing ploy which is to get us to buy more than we really want/need I just want to get home.  I wouldn't think.  Oh I won't get my pound of tripe, two tomatoes , or a crusty cob here, I will walk over and support and  purchase it from my local shops.  Dave my friend you are deluded or retired, because when I go to a large supermarket I go after work when all local shops are closed and parking is at a premium

Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
Have you seen the other towns that Asda, Tesco and the like have moved into?

Yes, I've seen Glossop, and I've seen Buxton, and the shops there seem to be doing OK.  As always, good businesses will survive and thrive.  Marplexile makes a good point about Littlewoods being a 'destination shop' - just like Mettricks in Glossop, for example.

Dave by the time all these shoppers have walked round ASDA, loaded up their car how much time will they have to walk and browse in the small local shops ?  You only get two hours free parking on a supermarket car park.  Not much chance of enjoying a coffee in Toast, having a shampoo and set then choosing a pair of knickers from Bare Necessities is there  :-\

That's exactly what we do already in the Co-op car park - it will just switch to Asda instead.

marpleexile

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:15 AM »
Dave by the time all these shoppers have walked round ASDA, loaded up their car how much time will they have to walk and browse in the small local shops ?  You only get two hours free parking on a supermarket car park.  Not much chance of enjoying a coffee in Toast, having a shampoo and set then choosing a pair of knickers from Bare Necessities is there  :-\

Possibly not Miss M, but his point holds that *most* of the shops in Marple have nothing to fear from an ASDA (or Tesco, Morrisons, etc) because they don't compete. And those that do, such as Littlewoods, are destination shops that have already shown they can survive the pressure from Co-Op, Iceland, and the "out of town" supermarkets where the majority of Marple currently shops.

The four shops with the most to loose are the Co-Op, Iceland, Superdrug and Boots. I think the lack of visible support for MIA from the other local shops is a combination of a) there being nothing to oppose yet because no plans have been submitted and they don't want to beat their customers over the head with speculation, and b) the knowledge that their business won't be affected.

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:14:42 AM »

I went shopping in Stockport this morning.  As usual, I parked at Sainsbury's (but you can also do this at Asda, of course), went in and picked up a few fruit and veg and a loaf to get my £1 refunded, and then strolled off to Comet, Argos, Marks and Sparks and the market to do the rest of my shopping.  

That's what we can expect when Asda comes to Marple - a proportion of Asda shoppers will use the opportunity to visit other local shops while they are here.  This increased footfall should provide a major boost to most local businesses.  Of course, there will be winners and losers.  The chief losers will be the Co-op, Iceland, Boots and Superdrug.  But they are big national chains who we don't need to shed many tears
for, do we
On  the other hand, the winners will outnumber those, and they will also be the small local businesses.  In Market Street I'm thinking of the hairdressers, the two jewellers, the picture framer, Alan's Paints, Harmony Decor, Crafty Ladies, Sew In, Helen Winterson, Bare Necessities, the opticians, the charity shops, Paul Howard, also Harrods car spares, and the tanning salon and the chippy in Derby Way - all the many businesses where Asda won't directly compete.

Miss Marple

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »
Dave I fear you are deluded on this issue, people will do a one stop shop ! Have you seen the other towns that Asda, Tesco and the like have moved into? If you haven't ask Mary Queen of Shops who is currently trying to turn failing shops around due to large supermarkets moving in.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »

That's what we can expect when Asda comes to Marple - a proportion of Asda shoppers will use the opportunity to visit other local shops while they are here.  This increased footfall should provide a major boost to most local businesses.  Of course, there will be winners and losers.  The chief losers will be the Co-op, Iceland, Boots and Superdrug.  But they are big national chains who we don't need to shed many tears for, do we!    

On the other hand, the winners will outnumber those, and they will also be the small local businesses.  In Market Street I'm thinking of the hairdressers, the two jewellers, the picture framer, Alan's Paints, Harmony Decor, Crafty Ladies, Sew In, Helen Winterson, Bare Necessities, the opticians, the charity shops, Paul Howard, also Harrods car spares, and the tanning salon and the chippy in Derby Way - all the many businesses where Asda won't directly compete.

Miss Marple

Marple Shops V Asda
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:49:05 PM »
Can anyone enlighten me as to why some members of the MBF are so complacent to the fact that Asda may be coming to Marple.  Do they really think that they will survive ? It's about time they woke up and smelt the coffee and start working alongside MIA.  Can I ask what are they waiting for,  the JCBs  to move in ?  Walking through Marple you would not believe we had a major supermarket waiting to pounce and destroy our local shops. So can I ask where are your NO to a supermarket posters, where's the will to survive and what are you planning to do? Are you  just going to  sit back  and wait till it's too late. it's a nonsense !!