Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Memories of Marple!  (Read 35605 times)

thebigshed

Re: Memories of Marple!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »

4. The boating lake in the memorial park (where the kids play area is now)

Alison

I remember falling into the boating pond as a small child.  My Mum said they could hear my screams back home in Romiley.

Barbara

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
And Mr Proctor in the cobblers used to appear up from the cellar behind the counter - always reminded us of the demon king in the panto.  Also the barbers in the cellar just up from the Bulls Head - he had old brass firemen's helmets on display there, which used to fascinate our boys. (Haircuts were nothing to write home about though!) :D

amazon

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
One of the highlights for me was the cycle race which attracted lots of professional cyclist but of course the downside was it closed down all the main roads in Marple and as a teenager we wanted to head for the bright lights of Rommel but we were stuck until all the roads reopened.  Can someone remind me how often it happened was it every year I just can not remember.
Another was getting apples by going in the farm yard and climbing over the vets wall in the now car park on Hubert Lane
Another was planning how we could let the animals escape from the slaughter house behind Littlewoods butchers to save them from their fate.

. Tour of Britain one year it came down from gloss op lower fold through Marple I remember it well we had just moved in to lower fold and someone had as kip on the road just below Windsor castle the police were playing hell they wanted it moved they were not very happy that must be over thirty years ago .and Mrs Benson's shop on the corner of gloss op road she used to sell bit of every thing had  a dog called Tina it used to lick the cheese on the counter .no health inspectors in the days the old coop on the bottom lower fold that was still open but not as a coop .used to be a great iron mongers now were Ian man is another great deli shop now were the estate agents is gascoins .hams and all sorts hung up i inside great days could go on forever .

Lily

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Carnival Queen dances, in the winter, at Marple Swimming Baths.  I seem to remember that they used to board the pool over for the dance floor.  They also had a mirrored globe.

Miss Marple

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
One thing I find it hard to believe now is when buses used to go down Derby Way.
and Church lane had two way traffic ?

Miss Marple

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
I used to love it when my mum took me to the Copper Kettle cafe.  If my memory serves me right it used to be where the chinese take away is opposite the cinema.  I also remember the Ark cafe and the cafe over the top of what was Hanburys.  I also used to love going into the shoe repairing shop on Market Street which was around about where Helen Winterson is now.  The owner was a lovely man and the shop always smelt of leather. 

it was Mr Proctor in the shoe repair shop !

Blossom

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
One thing I find it hard to believe now is when buses used to go down Derby Way.

Blossom

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
I used to love it when my mum took me to the Copper Kettle cafe.  If my memory serves me right it used to be where the chinese take away is opposite the cinema.  I also remember the Ark cafe and the cafe over the top of what was Hanburys.  I also used to love going into the shoe repairing shop on Market Street which was around about where Helen Winterson is now.  The owner was a lovely man and the shop always smelt of leather. 

Lily

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
Thankyou, Ray, I'll have to go for a walk and investigate (weather permitting!!!).  I hope it's still there.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
DALE ROAD ON THE RIGHT JUST PAST TREETOPS (WAS CRIPPLE CHILDREN'S HOME) OPPOSITE NAB LANE. RAY

Lily

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
I'm intrigued.  Where's the Curly Wurly Tree?

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
One of the highlights for me was the cycle race which attracted lots of professional cyclist but of course the downside was it closed down all the main roads in Marple and as a teenager we wanted to head for the bright lights of Romiley but we were stuck until all the roads reopened.  Can someone remind me how often it happened was it every year I just can not remember.
Another was getting apples by going in the farm yard and climbing over the vets wall in the now car park on Hibbert Lane
Another was planning how we could let the animals escape from the slaughter house behind Littlewoods butchers to save them from their fate.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
I played on the curly wurly tree in the 1940s my children 1960s, grandchildren 1980s, not sure of the great grandchildren I will ask next time they call round. Ray

Henry_

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
Rave nights* on Fridays at Marple Liberal Club (The Libradome) in about 1991  8)

* Rave nights that finished at 11pm  :D

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
Dens behind the curly wurly tree!! 
The big den on seven stiles !!
Skol lager !  Best not tell you about that Barbara ;)

The low but huge planters on the main road that I always walked into when looking at boys!

Climbing up the steps by the jolly sailor and jumping off the other end every time I went past.. right up until I left to go to college!

Being sacked from the (as it is now) Rolling Pin just a yr or 2 before Dave and Viv came!

Please note I moved to Marple when I was 12 so not quite the same type of memories as REAL marple people ;) There'll be more!