Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Compstall Mill Development  (Read 17420 times)

Dave

Re: Compstall Mill Development
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
As a commuter who has been coping (until very recently) with the Compstall Road traffic jam for the past twenty years or so, I have a lot of sympathy with those who oppose further housing in that area.

But what's the alternative?  Certainly not restoring it as a 'Styal Mill' type visitor attraction - given the colossal upfront restoration costs, followed by the high running costs, anyone who suggests that this could 'bring in revenue for the local council' really is in la-la land!   ;)  Just ask the National Trust.....

The fact is that there is a shortage of housing.  Planning restrictions on green belt land mean that suitable sites are extremely difficult to find.  'Brownfield' sites such as former mill buildings are therefore preferred.  People have got to live somewhere.  It's as simple as that. 

The way to tackle traffic congestion is by improving public transport, not by leaving people homeless. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
 ;D Well Belly !!  I would turn it into a living museum on the same theme as Style Mill.  If the mill was in America we would be paying crazy money to take a look inside.  I grew up in Compstall and the mill was the main employment for the villagers both my mother and father both worked there alongside all my aunts and uncles and near enough the whole village.  My mother and father worked alternate  shifts  6am-2pm  2pm-10pm they would pass me over to one another before clocking in at the lodge. I wasn't the only child waiting with one or other parent to be passed over in 1958 there were quite a few of us under school age children waiting for the switch.  The smell and the sound of the weaving and spinning machines could be heard all over the village.  It was interesting to watch all the weavers lip reading because the noise was so high.    So Belly I am not saying we should return to those times because for the ones who worked in the mill at that time life was hard and they certainly earned their money.  What I am saying is that sometimes history and  heritage should be put before profit. If the mill was turned into a living mill and marketed well it would bring in revenue for the local council and protect and preserve our heritage and the Andrews family history.   ???

Belly

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
;D   I take it Belly you live in LA LA Land then not on Compstall or Stockport road  :-\? The development at Strines is not finished so add that increased traffic to the one main road through Compstall and Marple and I will have to leave home for work even earlier than the hour I allow myself to get into Stockport town centre Mon - Fri.  At this rate I will be leaving for work before I have arrived home.  KEEP IT REAL !!!

I note that you ignore my question. What do you propose to be done with  this large industrial site. It won't simply disappear into a hole in the ground and needs to be re-used.

Miss Marple

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
 ;D   I take it Belly you live in LA LA Land then not on Compstall or Stockport road  :-\? The development at Strines is not finished so add that increased traffic to the one main road through Compstall and Marple and I will have to leave home for work even earlier than the hour I allow myself to get into Stockport town centre Mon - Fri.  At this rate I will be leaving for work before I have arrived home.  KEEP IT REAL !!!

Belly

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:50 PM »
Sorry about that, I have just started a new topic before checking out if it was already on this site.  My daughter lives in Compstall and has just received her letter today about the proposed development.  She is concerned due to the amount of traffic she has to contend with everyday just trying to get to and from work.  Before moving into Compstall she used to live on Compstall Rd and the volume of traffic coming past her cottage was unbelievable.  She only lived there 3 years and in that time she had to contact the council twice to attend to the tarmac from the road that had come up over the pavement.  She was advised by the council that it was caused by the volume of traffic that used that road.  So a additional 121 houses with 2.2 cars will just make the situation worse.  I have just emailed Andrew Stunall and asked him what he intends to do about this and will be asking local councillors to become actively involved before its to late.  I am sure the Mill site is a conservation area or is that just if it does not get in the way of finances

Re: traffic. Whats your solution to this then. The site is a large industrial facility which the owners could, if they could find an end user, simply open up again on a much more intensive basis and therefore contribute a higher level of traffic and probably lots more HGV's.

Something must be done with the site and its not just an option to let the area continue to decline. I doubt 120 houses is really going to make any noticeable difference to the traffic levels if they are really that bad in the first place.

Tricky

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »
Parts of the mill ARE in pretty bad shape,  wonder if this is due to the developers being the landlords ?

Chadkirk mill was in a similar shape until investment a few years ago, now it's a clean and tidy place full of small businesses.

meh

amazon

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
Reply To Miss Marple .Part of Compstall Mill IS LISTED BUILDINGS .THE LODGE FOR ONE BUILDINGS SIDE OF RIVER ARE NOT LARGE WALL NEAR ROAD IS .THERE IS QUITE A LOT LISTED I Know nobody likes change and more traffic .but parts of the mill are in pretty bad shape 

Miss Marple

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
Sorry about that, I have just started a new topic before checking out if it was already on this site.  My daughter lives in Compstall and has just received her letter today about the proposed development.  She is concerned due to the amount of traffic she has to contend with everyday just trying to get to and from work.  Before moving into Compstall she used to live on Compstall Rd and the volume of traffic coming past her cottage was unbelievable.  She only lived there 3 years and in that time she had to contact the council twice to attend to the tarmac from the road that had come up over the pavement.  She was advised by the council that it was caused by the volume of traffic that used that road.  So a additional 121 houses with 2.2 cars will just make the situation worse.  I have just emailed Andrew Stunall and asked him what he intends to do about this and will be asking local councillors to become actively involved before its to late.  I am sure the Mill site is a conservation area or is that just if it does not get in the way of finances

Tricky

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »
meh

amazon

Re: compstall mills estate.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
Here's a link to the planning database but there are no plans or drawings to view at the moment:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=36566

I've sent an enquiry asking when the plans will be available on-line.

PS - I've also merged all the historic threads about Compstall Mill into this one.

5to7 days from today for smbc website so it says on letter we have had today .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: compstall mills estate.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
Here's a link to the planning database but there are no plans or drawings to view at the moment:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=36566

I've sent an enquiry asking when the plans will be available on-line.

PS - I've also merged all the historic threads about Compstall Mill into this one.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

compstall mills estate.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
Being involved with compstall cricket club .To day we have had letter from smbc     re      compstall mills estate
planing application .DCO42236 THIS CAN BE VIEWED AT BREDBURY LIBRARY INFORMATION Letter to long  to type all  out .some of it includes 121 residential units commercial units boat house hydro/electric power generator .car parking etc . the plans can allso viewed on stockport website 5.7 days from today .2 july. any comments should be made in writing within the required time 15-7-2009 .Hope this info is helpfull to some of you .

amazon

compstall mill
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
I BELEIVE THE DEVELOPERS FOR COMPSTALL MILL HAVE PULLED OUT OWING TO THE CURRENT FINANCIAL SITUATION .

Belly

Re: Compstall Mill Redevelopment Proposals
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:41:52 PM »
If I remember rightly we tried arguing the parking issue during the Jolly sailor development.  THey havent got 1 parking space per flat either..... think if its for the elderley theres different clauses that come into play. 

However agree need to see planning permission closely b4 coming to a conclusion.

If noone is willing to develop it in any other way then....
well its not the prettiest thing in the world at the mo is it?

Parking for sheltered accomodation and / or specific retirement homes does indeed have different parking standards. And yes it is less than 1 space per dwelling. Which is generally fair enough as that type of development does generate a lot less traffic than normal residential dwellings.

Lisa Oldham

Re: Compstall Mill Redevelopment Proposals
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
If I remember rightly we tried arguing the parking issue during the Jolly sailor development.  THey havent got 1 parking space per flat either..... think if its for the elderley theres different clauses that come into play. 

However agree need to see planning permission closely b4 coming to a conclusion.

If noone is willing to develop it in any other way then....
well its not the prettiest thing in the world at the mo is it?