A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Joseph Gibbons Railway Clerk Marple.  (Read 4909 times)

Pegg

Re: Joseph Gibbons Railway Clerk Marple.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
I have just posted my letter regarding George Pegg - then read yours!  I have taken Henrietta's suggestion and sent a query to the Butterley email address myself.

Thanks both!
Pegg

valbar

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Thank you for the very useful information, much appreciated. Val

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Joseph Gibbons was born in Oxford in 1850 he married Mary Gough in Chester in 1876. The 1881 census shows Joseph to be working as a Clerk in Locomotive and Carriage Company. The 1901 census Joseph is still a railway clerk living at 87 Varna St South Manchester. Joseph died in 1905 at 3 Mellor View Marple aged 55 occupation Railway Clerk. Does any one know if there are any records of railway employees for either Marple, Rose Hill or Strines stations.
Try searching for the records of the old, pre-nationalisation railway companies. For instance Marple came under the umbrella of the Midland Railway in 1876. It might be worth contacting the Midland Railway Trust at Butterley (email midland.railway@btconnect.com ) to see if they have any records or can suggest where you might find info.

valbar

Joseph Gibbons Railway Clerk Marple.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
Joseph Gibbons was born in Oxford in 1850 he married Mary Gough in Chester in 1876. The 1881 census shows Joseph to be working as a Clerk in Locomotive and Carriage Company. The 1901 census Joseph is still a railway clerk living at 87 Varna St South Manchester. Joseph died in 1905 at 3 Mellor View Marple aged 55 occupation Railway Clerk. Does any one know if there are any records of railway employees for either Marple, Rose Hill or Strines stations.