Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: A shop that does not open when I wish to shop might as well not be there…  (Read 15702 times)

Miss Marple

I think what would be nice would be for people to be able to have conversations off the forum that were not used against them on the forum .   It would appear that whatever a member of MIA says is turned around and in someway used against them.  This really needs to stop on this forum and on face book as it is becoming very childish and proves nothing.  The only thing people need to read regarding the MIA campaign is the facts part of the web which is monitored and reported by Admin that is the only way of knowing the true aims and objectives around the MIA campaign  What appears to be reported on the general forum is individual peoples views.  So let's all gain the facts from the correct source and the continual bun fight will hopefully cease. 

tina

I have read or heard it somewhere,don't know if it is true, that the co-op owns the building that houses m&co,travel agent and superdrug.Also the Dolce vita,it is possible as the buildings  were all co-op owned.

The co-op was in the building before it moved over to the Hollins. It was then made into 3 seperate shops and offices upstairs. I 'think' the co-op still owns the building

sooty2

I have read or heard it somewhere,don't know if it is true, that the co-op owns the building that houses m&co,travel agent and superdrug.Also the Dolce vita,it is possible as the buildings  were all co-op owned.

tina

I have read lots of the opinions of the 'yes' and the 'no' campaigners.  However, on balance I think it would be a good idea to have a new supermarket in Marple.  To the 'no' campaigners.....Is the issue one of a new supermarket in Marple or is it a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane? Some of the opinions from the 'no's' seem to suggest that it would be ok to have a supermarket in Marple but not on Hibbert Lane.

On another point - I am sure that CMSFC would not be selling the site if they didn't need the money and surely the education of our 16+ children is a pretty important factor in all this..............?

MIA's campaign is 'No to supermarket on Hibbert Lane'. There should be no ambiguity about this. MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. The issue with Hibbert Lane is that it is not within the retail zone, as laid down by the council and is just far enough away from the centre to draw shoppers away from other shops.

The 'Yes' campaign seems to be confusing people because they just say 'Yes to a new supermarket in Marple' so they are not actually in direct opposition with MIA. This seems to have been in their favour as, some people without all the background may choose to support the 'Yes' campaign believing that MIA must, by the very fact that they are saying 'No' to something, not be 'for' a new supermarket. This simply is not the case. The 'No' is to the location and potential size of store, based on the size of the plot.

As for the college needing to sell the land to improve educational facilities, MIA are not suggesting the site is not sold. The argument is that the college should be selling the site to an alternative developer that would be acceptable within the core planning strategy as developed by the council.

But in reality MIA are suggesting that M&Co move location to accomadate a supermarket or that the sorting office be removed and a supermarket put there. And why are they suggesting this? Because they have to provide a location within the retail boundry for the arguement to stop a development on Hibbert Lane. If they can provide this then the supermarket can not use it to their advantage. But if you read the many post's some no supperters say they dont want the increase in traffic, they dont want the small shops to close down etc etc, so to me personally means they don't want 1 full stop. The yes campaign was set up to say yes to a supermarket in Marple because they would like one.

As has been stated before Tina, it was the council who suggested that the sorting office could be seen as a suitable alternative to Hibbert Lane. MIA would support this but did not suggest it themselves. As for M&Co moving, that must just be one person's suggestion. If you read the MIA website, you will see that none of these ideas are quoted. Yet again, people are confusing ideas, suggestions and opinions of individuals who post on this forum, with what it is that MIA are actually saying.

MIA believe that a reasonable sized supermarket within the retail zone will bring more shoppers into the heart of Marple and not draw them away, as a huge supermarket outside the retail zone would. A reasonable sized store would simply improve choice for local residents and not bring more shoppers from the surrounding areas so traffic would not increase on the scale that it would if there was a large, out of town type store.

I really hope that I've made this clear, not just to you, but to anyone else who reads this because so many people don't seem to 'get' what it is that MIA is trying to achieve! It seems to be getting lost in the individual bickering, personal opinions and allegations of scaremongering and exaggeration!  ;)

Without  sounding rude I will try to explain myself a little better. When I was at the rally the other Saturday I was told by 2 different MIA members that M & Co should move across the road to the Handburys building and a supermarket take its place and also use the offices upstairs. I've not made it up, it was said by 2 people at different times in the same afternoon.
I really am tired of all the arguing what is going on. Can we not just agree to disagree?

Henry_

I have read lots of the opinions of the 'yes' and the 'no' campaigners.  However, on balance I think it would be a good idea to have a new supermarket in Marple.  To the 'no' campaigners.....Is the issue one of a new supermarket in Marple or is it a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane? Some of the opinions from the 'no's' seem to suggest that it would be ok to have a supermarket in Marple but not on Hibbert Lane.

On another point - I am sure that CMSFC would not be selling the site if they didn't need the money and surely the education of our 16+ children is a pretty important factor in all this..............?

MIA's campaign is 'No to supermarket on Hibbert Lane'. There should be no ambiguity about this. MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. The issue with Hibbert Lane is that it is not within the retail zone, as laid down by the council and is just far enough away from the centre to draw shoppers away from other shops.

The 'Yes' campaign seems to be confusing people because they just say 'Yes to a new supermarket in Marple' so they are not actually in direct opposition with MIA. This seems to have been in their favour as, some people without all the background may choose to support the 'Yes' campaign believing that MIA must, by the very fact that they are saying 'No' to something, not be 'for' a new supermarket. This simply is not the case. The 'No' is to the location and potential size of store, based on the size of the plot.

As for the college needing to sell the land to improve educational facilities, MIA are not suggesting the site is not sold. The argument is that the college should be selling the site to an alternative developer that would be acceptable within the core planning strategy as developed by the council.

The Yes campaign is based around this facebook page and is quite categorical on this. Please read the first sentence of the page Description. http://www.facebook.com/yesmarple#!/yesmarple?sk=info

What about the people that don't use Facebook and have simply seen the posters or read the newspaper article?

There are people who don't use facebook?  :o I've read some pretty mad things on here but that takes the biscuit!

Anyway, I don't think there is any ambiguity in the newspaper article: http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1460023_yes-group-join-battle-over-new-marple-store-plan The posters were intentionally short and snappy but I see your point on those. New ones are being worked on. Having said that the 'Save Our Community' slogan on MIA's posters is overly jingoistic and inciting fear in my humble opinion.

Belle Star

I have read lots of the opinions of the 'yes' and the 'no' campaigners.  However, on balance I think it would be a good idea to have a new supermarket in Marple.  To the 'no' campaigners.....Is the issue one of a new supermarket in Marple or is it a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane? Some of the opinions from the 'no's' seem to suggest that it would be ok to have a supermarket in Marple but not on Hibbert Lane.

The Yes campaign is based around this facebook page and is quite categorical on this. Please read the first sentence of the page Description. http://www.facebook.com/yesmarple#!/yesmarple?sk=info

What about the people that don't use Facebook and have simply seen the posters or read the newspaper article?

Henry_

The Yes campaign is based around this facebook page and is quite categorical on this point. Please read the first sentence of the page Description. http://www.facebook.com/yesmarple#!/yesmarple?sk=info

mum_of_2

I have read lots of the opinions of the 'yes' and the 'no' campaigners.  However, on balance I think it would be a good idea to have a new supermarket in Marple.  To the 'no' campaigners.....Is the issue one of a new supermarket in Marple or is it a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane? Some of the opinions from the 'no's' seem to suggest that it would be ok to have a supermarket in Marple but not on Hibbert Lane.

But in reality MIA are suggesting that M&Co move location to accomadate a supermarket or that the sorting office be removed and a supermarket put there. And why are they suggesting this? Because they have to provide a location within the retail boundry for the arguement to stop a development on Hibbert Lane. If they can provide this then the supermarket can not use it to their advantage. But if you read the many post's some no supperters say they dont want the increase in traffic, they dont want the small shops to close down etc etc, so to me personally means they don't want 1 full stop. The yes campaign was set up to say yes to a supermarket in Marple because they would like one.

As has been stated before Tina, it was the council who suggested that the sorting office could be seen as a suitable alternative to Hibbert Lane. MIA would support this but did not suggest it themselves. As for M&Co moving, that must just be one person's suggestion. If you read the MIA website, you will see that none of these ideas are quoted. Yet again, people are confusing ideas, suggestions and opinions of individuals who post on this forum, with what it is that MIA are actually saying.

MIA believe that a reasonable sized supermarket within the retail zone will bring more shoppers into the heart of Marple and not draw them away, as a huge supermarket outside the retail zone would. A reasonable sized store would simply improve choice for local residents and not bring more shoppers from the surrounding areas so traffic would not increase on the scale that it would if there was a large, out of town type store.

I really hope that I've made this clear, not just to you, but to anyone else who reads this because so many people don't seem to 'get' what it is that MIA is trying to achieve! It seems to be getting lost in the individual bickering, personal opinions and allegations of scaremongering and exaggeration!  ;)

Its the contradictions i and many others are confused with. If a supermarket were to build in the 'retail zone' (not like there is anywhere for it) would MIA still argue about increased traffic, shops suffering etc? There is no suitable place in marple up for sale other than hibbert lane.
he growing population of marple need a DECENT sized shop not a tiny express shop where prices are just as bad as co-op as it is classed as a convenience store.
It has also been mentioned somwhere on this site that MIAwould be hppy to have a suoermarket..if it didnt sell (wait for it) newspapers, flowers, clothes etc....
 any of you counted the amounf newsagts in marple? They seem  to be doing pretty good!!
The reason us 'yes campaigners' say yes to a supermarket in marple is because we beleive nomatter where it could be built MIA would always have something to complain about.
I understand a lot of shops shut at 5-5:30pm...which is fair enough as the people working in them are doing regular job hours like yourselves....but we do need another cheaper than the co-op, decent sized shop that is open for longer to save tired people travelling (dangerous!) and people with little moneget moreaffordable things so ybe theyan afford to splash out on a cafe lunch one in a while

Belle Star

tina

Belle Star

I am sure that CMSFC would not be selling the site if they didn't need the money and surely the education of our 16+ children is a pretty important factor in all this..............?

Yes!  It's not just an important factor, it's what it's all about, and it's good to see this recognised at last

Totally agree, when my sons leave school I would like them to continue their education in Marple. A updated college is what is needed for our future generations

MIA has never suggested that the college does not sell the land. They should not be able to sell for a purpose that is not acceptable to the local planners simply because the proposed buyer has enough money to fight SMBC until they get their way.

tina

I am sure that CMSFC would not be selling the site if they didn't need the money and surely the education of our 16+ children is a pretty important factor in all this..............?

Yes!  It's not just an important factor, it's what it's all about, and it's good to see this recognised at last

Totally agree, when my sons leave school I would like them to continue their education in Marple. A updated college is what is needed for our future generations

Belle Star

Dave

sgk

The staff in the Co-Op are also very unhelpfully, when I asked them for change for the parking meter they just refused to help, giving some excuse about not being able to open the tills.

Similarly, I had to ask for car-park change last weekend.  Had to just wait for them to serve another customer, assistant explained that they can't simply ring through a "no sale", it's a security thing. 

I rather hope that anyone getting a point-blank refusal for change would speak to the manager.

(The fact that the Co-Op cares so little about me as a customer that they wish to waste my time with a parking meter etc. is another issue…)

As I understand it, the car park simply doesn't belong to the co-op.