Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: The Marple Website  (Read 11500 times)

heather

Re: The Marple Website
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
well said lisa

Barbara

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
Lisa you have said all that I have been thinking for some time, in a very well put together post.  Well said.

amazon

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
Takes a bow, I was the composer ( is that the right word ) of a certain Pigeon Poem :)

I did try to find it ...... :(

I prefered this site when it was light hearted the Pigeon poems were great :)
                 coo .

Howard

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
Well said, Lisa.

This is an amazing forum for which Mark gets little recognition and it's all FOR FREE (at least for the users - Mark still has to fund it). You're right in that it's often the very new people (perhaps those who are used to commenting on YouTube or Facebook where there is little or no moderation) who are often the most strident. This has been a very well-mannered forum and I really hope it stays that way. Even when we disagree, for example Lisa and I over mobile phone masts on this thread, it was generally polite.

An online community develops its own personality and I'm not entirely sure I like the new mood that comes through. However, I do welcome the inclusion Marple residents who are new to the forum but are using it for other discussions as well as the supermarkets debate. Without this issue they wouldn't be here.

Dave

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Well said Lisa.   :D

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
Bloody hell!!! sorry mark :D

I'm adding my bit too!

Mark you're amazing... you have a job and a family and have for as you say 12 years run almost singlehanded what as far as i am concerned is one of, if not THE best community website in the country and certainly in this region ( and thats NOT JUST this forum by the way!). I know this because I've done a lot of snooping around community websites trying to find business.. they're mostly rubbish!! hardly updated.. no active forums etc..

On top of that I have used the forum package that Mark uses and though they are all straight forward its a tedious, irritating and long winded job checking and editing posts..especially when as it is now it is so active..
But he does it without complaint and alongside the website and all the community projects hes heavily involved in ( have you forgotten the loo fight? the memorial park upkeep and projects?) and his work and of course the MANY websites he runs ( not just the MIA one is free I guess!!)

To accuse the website at this point of being one sided is ludicrous.  Especially considering its really just in relation to whats on the forum not the site.  Mark can't control it and he can't be here at your beck and call 24 hours a day.. unless we want to start paying him??

I also, along with other regular users, ( I've been a member for 10 years now i think!)  do not visit so much now.. I hate the tones you use with each other and the lack of respect that you have for this resource,on both sides of the supermarket campaigns.

Comments like I always get shouted down.. nope .. its a forum you cant shout at each other.. and certanly not shout each other down as all points can still be considered ...you put your points.. sometimes in capitals ( i dont find them threatening!) and the other person disagrees with you.. is nt that the whole point of being on opposing sides?

Miss Marples tone grates on me as much as the next person however if she disagrees with me I don't consider it bullying or threatening in any way .. sticks and stones and all that!! Its not nice or polite however in the long run your views have been put here and we will read both sides and consider each..

As for other peoples offensive comments.. I have watched... and noticed... its generally newbies!  People who are only here to talk about the supermarket but not actually associated with the MIA group( for those offensive on the NO campaign, don't know enough of the yes campaign people to say one way or tother for them)

So next time you do see an aggressive offensive comment.. note how long they've been a member and how many posts they have made.  this doesn't negate any reasonable points they might make here when not being offensive but it does maybe indicate that they are not aware of 1 how to use forums and 2 exactly how wonderful and friendly marple forum has been for many years b4 this nonsense started

Mark.. Cant you separate the forum out at all now?  so that they can argue the toss on a separate place so the rest of us don't have to watch?
Oh and for the additional record.. if this was my forum.. every single offensive remark the user would end up with a block ban without consideration or excuse.. so consider yourself very lucky!!

tina

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
wow thanks for finding it sgk.. How ironic we was talking about the ridge site then...only we thought it was houses ;)

sgk

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Takes a bow, I was the composer ( is that the right word ) of a certain Pigeon Poem :)

How could we forget it, here's the link -> A Little pigeons Nest!

Henry_

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »
It's a great site. Have read the pub guide with great interest for some years.

tina

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

I prefered this site when it was light hearted the Pigeon poems were great :)

Rachael

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
I endorse the praise for Mark - he does a sterling job with the website, which is a valuable resource for Marple.  At times it must be a full time job.  I think everybody should cool down and wait until they have some real evidence of what is really going to happen before sounding off in such unpleasant language!  (And they should use the spell checker!)

It would be a great loss if we lost the website because of all the mudslinging going.

Right, said my piece, now OVER AND OUT  (Sorry Alison!) :D :D

alison

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
ouch - capitals - pass the asprin! ;)

Seriously though, Thanks for the support - you bring the cookies, I'll bring the herbal tea!

Alison

Smithy166

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:47 PM »
Hear Hear to both admin and Alison!
Mark is being very lenient all things considered, and that is something EVERYONE should be greatfull for! Other forums I've been on would have banned people for simply mentioning the words "flame war"!
Now, hows about some nice, normal, non-class motived, non touchy, calm discussion. I'll even provide some nice home made cookies and organic fair trade tea! and baking is something I don't normally do!  :P

alison

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
hear hear admin.

The website has got increasingly snipy over the last year from some posters and I'm loathe to contribute most of the time. It used to be a nice place, with poems about pigeons if I remember rightly!) This isn't just since the supermarket issue, and I do understand that some people have strong feelings on that issue (unlike me who is firmly on the fence!).

I was really disappointed when some of the digs started being directed at our admin - he has put so much time and effort into building up this website into a valuable resource for the local community, and has always been fair in my opinion. It would be such a disappointment if he decided it just wasn't worth the aggro.

Can we please start playing nicely again - and stop typing in capitals to make a point - it gives me a headache ;)

Alison