Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Jolly Sailor  (Read 37805 times)

Denise

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2002, 09:49:34 AM »
Hi Harry

Got totally lost on that website you gave for Stockport.  Where exactly are the planning reports?

Harry

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2002, 10:41:24 AM »
Henrietta is correct about the access and planning permission. In a council report dated February this year I noted that a previous application to build 13 mews houses was refused. One of the reasons was 'the proximity of the site access to the Stockport Road/Station Road junction was dangerous and harmful to highway safety'. I can only presume that the prospective developer is to argue that 41 retirement flats will produce less traffic than 13 mews houses.

Interestingly the other reason for refusal, according to this council report, was that 'Area Committee were concerned at the loss of car parking which would arise from the redevelopment of this site'. Surely this is not a public car park, it belongs to whoever owns the pub. I could have understood this argument if it had been brought up in reference to the Bowling Green application. That was a public car park. Looking through previous council reports, this was noted but was not considered an issue. I wonder why?

If anybody wants to look through council reports, covering such things as planning permission, they are available via www.stockport.gov.uk  They make interesting reading, partly for what isn't there.

Henrietta

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2002, 11:17:54 PM »
Am I being a bit dense? What about vehicular access? Surely they won't/shouldn't get PP on those grounds alone.

As a "side-saddle lady" (my Email address) I welcome the news that the mounting block is to be saved. There aren't enough of them around. But surely the historical point of it is that it is attached to the pub - placed there for the convenience of the patrons. Anyway as someone said elsewhere, the demolition men will doubtless smash it up "by accident" and then "apologise".

Sad that the Jolly Sailor is set to go the same way as the old forge. (On the corner of Cross Lane where the old "new" flats now are). Once it was too late to do anything about that there was a terrible to-do about loss of Marple's historical heritage. Likewise Marple Hall and other landmarks. ':angry:'

alastair

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2002, 10:37:37 PM »
It was a major option for the bowling green but not for jolly sailor we couldnt afford the property

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2002, 08:18:52 PM »
I agree that pub to flats is a detrimental move-retirement flats? with fast food outlets and offlicenses adjacent? sounds like a poor combination. Another pub would have been ideal for this part of town; I like the idea of a youth/drop in centre as a  valid alternative-its not an option i have heard discussed around town. As usual I suppose it comes down to profit and not community enhancement.

laser blue

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 04:12:07 PM »
Isnt it a shame that we are about to lose what is arguably the oldest pub in Marple, yet another piece of Marple`s history gone for ever.

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 09:56:36 PM »
now, if the churches had got their act together like I told them to, there could be an excellent youth drop in centre, non-alcoholic bar and cyber cafe

Howard

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 08:29:25 PM »
I CANNOT believe that we're having MORE retirement flats. We're becoming the Eastbourne of the north!

Can you imagine the elderly residents of these flats trying to cross the road between their flats and the chippy? There has to be a serious danger there unless some kind of trafic control is put in.

alastair

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 07:11:15 PM »
It is about time a final decision was made re:jolly sailor
BUT NOT MORE B*****Y RETIREMENT FLATS

I cant believe Marple needs anymore of those things and as for more car's be careful retiree's and cars LOL

Anyway am sick of Marple being the retirement capital of Manchester its my home town bring back the life it used/NEVER had

Peter

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 05:13:54 PM »
Just what Marple needs more retirement flats, presumably accompanied by 41 more cars to clog the roads!!!
Yes the horse mounting steps are listed and I think enough people have made the council aware of this fact to ensure that they are saved. I'm in full agreement with you about the pub though it would have been much better left as the same use but once the pub company realised that they could make a lot more money from redevelopment the Jolly never stood an earthly.

Harry

Jolly Sailor
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 12:49:50 PM »
According to a notice fixed to a telegraph pole outside the Jolly Sailor, it is proposed to build 41 retirement flats on the site. I suppose that new flats will look better than a derelict pub but it is a shame that it wasn't re-opened as a family restaurant or something similar.

Did somebody once mention that the stepped horse mounting block (or whatever its called) was protected. I wonder if it will survive.