Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Tesco will be good for Marple  (Read 14855 times)

Smithy166

Re: Tesco will be good for Marple
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
Miss Marple are there any other meetings arranged to discuss this further?

I attended the meeting in the park but think a general meeting to discuss who can write to who, and sort out groups to tackle the issues may be useful-better than us all acting independently?

I second that.
But more than just "who can write to who", I think we really should get organised, so, for example, have a team for publication design+manufacture. A team for PR (dealing with the press), a team for distribution of leaflets and publications, along with a team of people who could act as "MAR" reps in case of a high level meeting with the college. A team of people who have some form of legal knowledge would also be useful.

RWW

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 03:36:35 PM »
A new Tesco will be a benefit to Marple. It will bring more people to our town, jobs will be created, and most importantly, the near-monopoly that the Co-op currently enjoys will be ended.

Do you work for them?

Maria

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Miss Marple are there any other meetings arranged to discuss this further?

I attended the meeting in the park but think a general meeting to discuss who can write to who, and sort out groups to tackle the issues may be useful-better than us all acting independently?

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Has anyone contacted the co-op? A bit difficult at this stage as unclear of what to ask them.

Surely its ultimately in their interests to have a smaller store, albeit nearer, than an all encompassing superstore 5 minutes away.

yes I have and have invited them to meeting

acoustician

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
Has anyone contacted the co-op? A bit difficult at this stage as unclear of what to ask them.

Surely its ultimately in their interests to have a smaller store, albeit nearer, than an all encompassing superstore 5 minutes away.

Smithy166

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
A new Tesco will be a benefit to Marple. It will bring more people to our town, jobs will be created, and most importantly, the near-monopoly that the Co-op currently enjoys will be ended.
I'm sorry, but I strongly dissagree with your point.

Sure, it will bring more people to our town, but those people will simply shop at the tesco, then leave. Clogging up the already fit-to-bursting road network.

I can agree that jobs will be created, but those jobs are A. dead end and B. either minimum wage or near minium wage.

Although your final point that the Co-op has almost total control of shopping in marple is a correct. If however, we can convince the co-op to sell one of their sites to another supermarket then we will blow tescos argument of "monopoly" clean out of the water.

moonforest

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 06:00:37 AM »

The fat wallets at Tesco will have done their homework and they don't give a flying fig about the impact on our town and community....you can be sure of that. This thing would attract people from all the surrounding areas, at all hours. We're already living with serious traffic issues and the situation would deteriorate very quickly with a big store like that in such a central location.

moonforest

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »
That picture of Stalybridge is out of date i am afraid, there is new shops opening down that street. I think that Tesco will be good for marple, fair enough i live in Dukinfield, but my mum and dad do live near the college.  It will bring jobs in to marple, and also might give the coop a run for there money.

It would be interesting to know how long the Stalybridge precinct has looked like in the picture before any new shops attempted to open, how many shops have opened and............how long will they survive?

It's hard to imagine Market Street and Derby Way looking like that picture and it would be heartbreaking if we ended up with our shopping precinct in that state. But, of course, by the time it did it would be too late to do anything about it. No debate, no discussion and no going back!

Just a thought.....how much crime and vandalism would a deserted precinct like that attract, to add to our woes?

Cyberman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
I think people who believe that a new superstore will create jobs will be in for a shock. Yes the store itself will create jobs, the majority being low paid, part time and with little security. Balanced against that will be the loss or reasonably paid jobs as local businesses close. Supermarkets may claim to create jobs and provide an anchor for local shops but in reality this is not the case. Wealth will be sucked out of the area, away from local shopowners into the pockets of Tesco shareholders. The New Economics Foundation has some telling articles - please read them!

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/2010/01/07/why-tescos-arithmetic-doesnt-add-up
http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/2010/10/13/the-truth-about-tescos-anchor-claims

Susan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
That picture of Stalybridge is out of date i am afraid, there is new shops opening down that street. I think that Tesco will be good for marple, fair enough i live in Dukinfield, but my mum and dad do live near the college.  It will bring jobs in to marple, and also might give the coop a run for there money.

Maria

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
I live on Hibbert Lane and I am completely against a supermarket such as Tesco being built on the college grounds-I do however see your point on co-op having the monopoly in Marple-Surely pressure should be put on co-op to release the Hanburys site and have a Tesco/Sainsburys convenience store instead of a god awful superstore.

Mike

JMC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
'the near-monopoly that the Co-op currently enjoys will be ended. '

I think this is a key point. All the people who I spoke to in favour of a new Tesco mentioned this. What are the co-op doing with the Hanbury's site for example. It's not doing them any favours. It's actually a strong argument for Tesco if they sense people are fed up of the Co-op. People are struggling and low prices may swing it in some people's eyes. So any arguement to convince more people needs to address the key concern of people's apathy with the Co-op. The Co-op could do something too but i doubt it somehow.

NeilCorrie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »

If Tesco did get their way, and it somehow resulted in benefitting Marple I'll be both amazed and delighted.

Our friends in nearby market town Stalybridge didn't see it turn out that way.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, Tesco then wanted to make the store even bigger and build a multi-storey car park, some quotes from that meeting below.

Cllr Eileen Shorrock warned that Tesco would ‘know which boxes to tick’ in order to force through their plans and beseeched the audience to “make enough of an outcry to make sure it doesn’t matter, how many boxes they tick.”

Not one person spoke in support of Tesco while a barrage of complaints about Tesco’s influence on rubbish, traffic congestion, parking spaces and the rapid decline of the independent retailer in Stalybridge were all put forward.

"I lost my job the first time their plans were passed in 2000 and now due to the fact that I live opposite the present car park, I stand to lose my view across to the canal and possibly a lot of money in the value of my home. Tesco can not be allowed to do this to me and Stalybridge.”

marpudlian

Tesco will be good for Marple
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »