Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Kingfisher Mill  (Read 2928 times)

Iona

Re: Kingfisher Mill
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:00:34 AM »
I wonder if there has been some confusion with the name of Kingfisher Mews, built at near the canal at Possett Bridge  (the site of the old Liberal Club, IIRC), not far from the site of Hollins Mill.

Yes possibly, for what it's worth I've looked at other photographs in the Stockport Archive and the titles/descriptions are very confused - not as well managed as Marple's!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
The same image is on the Virtual Tour with a series of other aerial shots and if you are a registered user you can see much larger versions. http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pid=3825

It's definitely the site of Hollins Mill  - I've never heard it referred to as Kingfisher Mill before and there is no mention of this in Historic Industries of Marple and Mellor, which is the 'bible' for this kind of stuff. So, a mistake I'm pretty sure.
I wonder if there has been some confusion with the name of Kingfisher Mews, built at near the canal at Possett Bridge  (the site of the old Liberal Club, IIRC), not far from the site of Hollins Mill.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
The same image is on the Virtual Tour with a series of other aerial shots and if you are a registered user you can see much larger versions. http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pid=3825

It's definitely the site of Hollins Mill  - I've never heard it referred to as Kingfisher Mill before and there is no mention of this in Historic Industries of Marple and Mellor, which is the 'bible' for this kind of stuff. So, a mistake I'm pretty sure.
I think I'm older than you, Mark, and new the Hollins Mill when it was working and no-one, including the people I knew who worked there, called it anything other than the Hollins

Iona

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
Thanks Mark, I thought it was most probably an error.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Iona

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
Thanks Mark, I did try to add the link yesterday but it didn't work. However I've  been back on the Stockport site and emailed it to you direct from there. Hope you can shed some light on it.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
Can you provide a link to the image?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Iona

Kingfisher Mill
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
I have just been looking at the photographs on the Stockport MBC image archive and found an aerial image of Marple that claims to show Kingfisher Mill before its demolition in the 1980's. However the building they refer to looks like Hollins Mill to me. Is it just a mistake or is there any connection?