Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 710369 times)

Howard

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1043 on: October 22, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »

Cripes

« Reply #1042 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »
So where is the video them on the SMBC website?

Belly

« Reply #1041 on: October 22, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
That should be 'no other options in the sequential test'. Apologies for the typos - I typed this on the mobile and seen unable to scroll back to check what I have previously written!

Belly

« Reply #1040 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
Well said Howard. If we can't have reasoned debate where would we be?

On a different note, I find the comments of one of the ex-governors intriguing. He wants to see affordable housing on the site, and notes that one of his main objections to a supermarket is traffic. Let's be honest here, Marple's congestion problems are almost exclusively peak hour based, so another wodge of housing would only exacerbate those issues, as the new residents sought to travel in and out of Marple for work.

I really don't see a new Supermarket on Hibbert Lane having any discernible impact on this main traffic congestion during these peak times. It's very unlikely that people will choose to specifically travel into Marple to do there shopping at these times. To get a little bit technical here, studies have demonstrated that new Supermarkets actually don't create very much 'new' traffic at all, but most movements are either
1. 'pass by' trips - I.e. You were going padt the store and dropped in
2. 'diverted trips' - I.e. You were travelling close to the store and decided to drop in
3. 'transfer trips' - I.e. You now choose to shop in the new store rather than your previous shop (rather pertinent to Marple, where I suspect that most supermarket users currently travel out of the town)
4 'linked trips' I.e part of a chain, of other local trips

I'm sure the supermarket operator will run the argument that there is a good chance that the 'net balance' in traffic is unlikely to have a minimal impact on traffic flows in Marple as a whole. I think this argument has merit.

Of course the real crux of the traffic matter comes down to the Stockport road lights by travis perkins and church lane mini. I have no don't that work will need to be done here and my suspicion is that some propert purchase would be necessary to improve matters. This could be very interesting to see what transpires given that Smbc are so opposed.

In many respects the local traffic issues at the lights and the mini would be shared by the so called alternative site on the sorting office car park. It has to be said that this alternative is not at all attractive in traffic terms, given it's restricted access and the potential for knock on parking issues. In my view this could end up being the crux of the fight. I'm sure that the supermarket lot will be able to demonstrate a need for a new store, to me that is self evident, it may all come down to whether a realistic alternative exists. I remain unconvinced by the sorting office site and if an inspector was too, this could potentially lead him to have much more sympathy for retail development at Hibbert Lane. If I was MIA the potential for feasible alternatives is where I would be directing attention, if there are other options in the sequential test, Hibbert Lane may suddenly appear far more attractive in planning terms.

Tricky

« Reply #1039 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
I agree completely Howard.
meh

Howard

« Reply #1038 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
Miss M's relentless vilification of our college principal makes entertaining reading. However, is is entirely misplaced. Major issues such as the acquisition or disposal of land or property are the reponsibility of the governing body. They would not be allowed to delegate them to the principal.
And also Daves relentless vilifiication of Miss M and anything related to a large group of people who are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. ::)

I know you have a smiley in there but it doesn't read very well. I disagree entirely. Whether you agree with Dave or not I think it's obvious that he is almost the sole voice on this forum representing education and providing information around the legal framework within which the college has to operate. His posts come across as reasonable and measured to me.

sooty2

« Reply #1037 on: October 22, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
Miss M's relentless vilification of our college principal makes entertaining reading. However, is is entirely misplaced. Major issues such as the acquisition or disposal of land or property are the reponsibility of the governing body. They would not be allowed to delegate them to the principal.
And also Daves relentless vilifiication of Miss M and anything related to a large group of people who are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane. ::)

Dave

« Reply #1036 on: October 22, 2011, 09:14:28 AM »
As I've said before, I've got no connection with the college other that two of our children went there a few years ago. 'Selective'? Give me an example.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1035 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
I bet she's shaking in her boots with worry.   Whilst you are right in some of the things you say, I fear on others you are selective   Are you standing for governor by any chance or have any other interests  in CAMSFC     ???

Dave

« Reply #1034 on: October 22, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »

Smithy166

« Reply #1033 on: October 20, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
The video will be on SMBC web sight soon it is reported that they have had some technical difficulties ?  Now I wonder what that could be ?  Suspicious ! Me never  :-\
In all fairness the stockport website servers date back to the dark ages, so its not supprising they've gone bang  ::)

Miss Marple

« Reply #1032 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »
I think people will now see that MIA were right in a lot of things they were putting on the forum.  It is beyond belief that Ms Cassidy refuses to speak to our elected members or indeed know the answer to the elected members questions.   I am hoping against hope that this is not Ms Cassius swan song and that the plan is to take all education out of Marple  and build on the land available  at CAMSFC Cheadle
I also feel that it is appalling that Ms Cassidy can inform the media that she has spoken to all that wish to speak with her.
  I find it more than a little disturbing if Ms Cassidy can go to press stating what appears to be an untruth that she has spoken to everyone who has requested to speak with her.  If we are to believe what Dave Goddard and 6 elected members report that she is refusing to enter into any form of meeting then what does she think she is doing. 
This woman is in charge of our children's education, morals and values, what example is she setting for our children.  The YPLA or whoever need to investigate the person who feels that she can ride rough shod over government officials because at the end of the day the money CAMSFC receive like it or not is from tax
payer monies   I hope the YPLA/ education minister  will be investigating for the wellbeing of our students future morals

Miss Marple

« Reply #1031 on: October 19, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
The video will be on SMBC web sight soon it is reported that they have had some technical difficulties ?  Now I wonder what that could be ?  Suspicious ! Me never  :-\
. I take it all back as it is now on this and SMBC site and it's not been edited.  Just wish I had had my hair done  :-*

Miss Marple

« Reply #1030 on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #1029 on: October 18, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
Where would we start to look for the video on the council web site  ???