Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 708777 times)

Henry_

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1853 on: September 11, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Interesting post on the 'Latest News' thread, linking the arrival of Costa Coffee with the recent sad closure of Toast.  The proprietor of Toast suggests that his cafe's 'demise at the hands of Costa is a perfect, albeit small scale example of what happens when the national brands move in to a town..... Beware Marple, ASDA will come and the town will change drastically.'

But this analogy doesn't work.  For a start, the national brands are already here - the Co-op, Iceland, Boots, Superdrug.   And anyway, change is not necessarily a bad thing.  Costa Coffee will undoubtedly have provided stiff competition for other local coffee shops, and I'm sorry to lose Toast.  But by the same token, Asda is a supermarket, and the main threat it will pose is to the other supermarkets.  Would we really shed many tears over those?  

6 September 2012 - A warning to us all!

Well known, and unfortunately now ex-cafe restaurant owner, Dan Stringer of Toast, is quoted as saying:

"I think Marple residents need to be VERY clear about what they want. Toast's demise at the hands of Costa is a perfect, albeit small scale example of what happens when the national brands move in to a town. That's not to say Toast didn't make mistakes, but when a business's core income stream is affected so much it's very very hard to survive."

"Beware Marple, ASDA will come and the town will change drastically."

I'm not sure if the last sentence is Dan Stringer's or not. It reads like MIA. Again there is an assertion that Marple people need to make a decision as a single group. It's like when local councillors and MPs talk about Marple being against Asda, and of how amazed they are at the unanimity of opinion in this respect. The reality of course is a lot different.

Dave

« Reply #1852 on: September 11, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
Interesting post on the 'Latest News' thread, linking the arrival of Costa Coffee with the recent sad closure of Toast.  The proprietor of Toast suggests that his cafe's 'demise at the hands of Costa is a perfect, albeit small scale example of what happens when the national brands move in to a town..... Beware Marple, ASDA will come and the town will change drastically.'

But this analogy doesn't work.  For a start, the national brands are already here - the Co-op, Iceland, Boots, Superdrug.   And anyway, change is not necessarily a bad thing.  Costa Coffee will undoubtedly have provided stiff competition for other local coffee shops, and I'm sorry to lose Toast.  But by the same token, Asda is a supermarket, and the main threat it will pose is to the other supermarkets.  Would we really shed many tears over those?  

wheels

« Reply #1851 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
You could be right Duke but the people in B & Q, Homebase etc don't seem to get wound up and there's a hardware shop that I sometimes use in Manchester and you know what they don't seem to get wound up either. They come over and ask you the most outrageous things, such as..."can I help you"? When you ask them where something is they actually show me and they don't look at me as if they don't like me, all in all they seem quite pleased to see you.

Big Shed, I'm not trying to dissuade you from going into you local hardware shop, far from it if you enjoy the experience and you feel made welcome. Its just that I don't enjoy and I don't feel welcome so I won't be joining you.     

Again your right Simoneand I wont be going either. Its not for traders to make you feel as unwelcome as many of the Marple traders do.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1850 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
You could be right Duke but the people in B & Q, Homebase etc don't seem to get wound up and there's a hardware shop that I sometimes use in Manchester and you know what they don't seem to get wound up either. They come over and ask you the most outrageous things, such as..."can I help you"? When you ask them where something is they actually show me and they don't look at me as if they don't like me, all in all they seem quite pleased to see you.

Big Shed, I'm not trying to dissuade you from going into you local hardware shop, far from it if you enjoy the experience and you feel made welcome. Its just that I don't enjoy and I don't feel welcome so I won't be joining you.     

thebigshed

« Reply #1849 on: August 28, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »
I have never felt less than welcome in our local hardware store.  I will always use it in preference to travelling to Stockport unless absolutely necessary.

amazon

« Reply #1848 on: August 28, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
Wheels, Duke,

If you are both referring to the same hardware shop as I am and I think you are then I've stopped going in it. They make me feel as if they don't want my business so I don't give it them. If you you ask a question say for example ..."where are you're 2 inch nails"? They growl at you and "point you in a direction". Unfortunately they are not the only business in Marple who don't seem to want my business, so I don't give it to them either. I'd sooner travel for a pleasant experience than stay at home for an unpleasant one. 

Some (not all of them) of the businesses in Marple don't understand simple things such as; convenient opening times  and please thank you and smile.       

Bang on Simone I feel and am made to feel exactly the same. There are a whole range of traders in Marple like that and like you they do not get my business.

Well they are always pleasant to me, maybe you are giving off egregious vibes.  Don't take this the wrong way but you can sometime wind people up a bit.

No matter what people say Duke you nearly always disagree .

Duke Fame

« Reply #1847 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
Wheels, Duke,

If you are both referring to the same hardware shop as I am and I think you are then I've stopped going in it. They make me feel as if they don't want my business so I don't give it them. If you you ask a question say for example ..."where are you're 2 inch nails"? They growl at you and "point you in a direction". Unfortunately they are not the only business in Marple who don't seem to want my business, so I don't give it to them either. I'd sooner travel for a pleasant experience than stay at home for an unpleasant one. 

Some (not all of them) of the businesses in Marple don't understand simple things such as; convenient opening times  and please thank you and smile.       

Bang on Simone I feel and am made to feel exactly the same. There are a whole range of traders in Marple like that and like you they do not get my business.

Well they are always pleasant to me, maybe you are giving off egregious vibes.  Don't take this the wrong way but you can sometime wind people up a bit.

wheels

« Reply #1846 on: August 28, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
Wheels, Duke,

amazon

« Reply #1845 on: August 28, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Wheels, Duke,

You've hit the nail right on the head there Simon.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1844 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
Wheels, Duke,

wheels

« Reply #1843 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
I am not sure that people would stay to shop locally for other items unless the local traders inprove their offering in terms of price and customer service. I would still cycle to homebase for some screws as they don't make me feel as if I am a nuisance for entering their store.

The list is endless.

That has to be the worst example ever. We have a hardware shop here that offers better everything than homebase / B&Q etc

Well their not serving the market Duke as I would sooner cycle to Homebase.

Duke Fame

« Reply #1842 on: August 28, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
I am not sure that people would stay to shop locally for other items unless the local traders inprove their offering in terms of price and customer service. I would still cycle to homebase for some screws as they don't make me feel as if I am a nuisance for entering their store.

The list is endless.

That has to be the worst example ever. We have a hardware shop here that offers better everything than homebase / B&Q etc

amazon

« Reply #1841 on: August 27, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

The list is endless.

I know what you mean .

wheels

« Reply #1840 on: August 27, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

The list is endless.

alstan

« Reply #1839 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Thank you, Unionman, for a very interesting post.

This is a joint application for both the Hibbert Road and Buxton Lane developments and ASDA would obviously have a considerable interest in the prompt and efficient completion of the Buxton Lane site since they would be unable to start their own development until Buxton Lane is completed, something which I think I have seen confirmed elsewhere on this forum. You are probably right about a lack of necessary experience within CAMSFC, although plenty of professional experience is always available at a price, and in view of this, I would have thought it quite likely that ASDA might well manage the Buxton Lane development themselves, using their own project management resources both internal and external. They must have huge development experience available to them.

I don't agree that the proposed development would "drastically" alter what is, in reality, a suburban dormitory town. The size of the development seems large enough to meet the needs of Marple people but not so large that it would attract many others from outside the area, given that there are larger Asda at Stockport (4m) and Hyde (4m), plus large Tesco at Stockport (4m) and Hattersley (7m), Morrisons at Bredbury (4m) and Sainsbury at Hazel Grove (4m), not to mention Aldi at Romiley (3m) and Waitrose at Poynton (7m). What it may well do, however, is persuade what I suspect is the the great majority of Marple people who travel out of the town every week to shop locally, perhaps buying their hardware, DIY materials, toys, outdoor gear, and many other products in Marple instead of making what are, at the moment, very short detours from their favoured supermarket to B&Q, Argos, Toys R Us, Homebase, etc, etc.