A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: The Devvy  (Read 31808 times)

simonesaffron

Re: The Devvy
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
Regrettably Dave, the death bells have been ringing for the Devvy for quite some time now.

The problem with most pubs now is that there quite simply is no business case for them. Even those where there is one, there is scant reward for a lot of hard work. How many pubs in the Marple area have closed in the last ten years. I can think of at least 5 without concentrating. There is surely more to come.

I went in the Royal Scot last Sunday evening there were 4 customers in total and that included my friend and I.   

Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
Exactly.  Can't you just see a little estate of upmarket housing crammed into the car park and garden?   :(

corium

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
The latest news from the Devonshire Arms is not good.  Darren and Louise left a couple of months ago.  Since then there has been a succession of temporary managers put in by the brewery.  Robinson's are advertising for new tenants (see https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/run-a-pub/pub-vacancies/devonshire-arms), but the word is that there is very little interest.

This is a landmark pub in the heart of Mellor, which in the past (between the mid-1980s and 2011, when John Longworth left) has been very popular and successful.  If it went the way of the Travellers Call and the Lane Ends it would be a real disaster for the village.   :-\

Agreed but such a disaster for Robbies given the size of the site & thus the development potential? I only say this given what I have heard about at least some of the reasons behind Lou & Darren's departure.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
The latest news from the Devonshire Arms is not good.  Darren and Louise left a couple of months ago.  Since then there has been a succession of temporary managers put in by the brewery.  Robinson's are advertising for new tenants (see https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/run-a-pub/pub-vacancies/devonshire-arms), but the word is that there is very little interest.

This is a landmark pub in the heart of Mellor, which in the past (between the mid-1980s and 2011, when John Longworth left) has been very popular and successful.  If it went the way of the Travellers Call and the Lane Ends it would be a real disaster for the village.   :-\

gazwhite

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »

We all paid a visit last Saturday - great chips and very keen hosts.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »
Further update: after two licensees have come and gone within two years, new tenants have recently taken over at the Devonshire Arms, which had become almost moribund in recent months.  Darren and Louise seem a cheerful and enthusiastic couple, and things may be looking up at the Devvy at last.   :)

sgk

Re: food standards
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/council/stockport-metropolitan-borough-council/businesses/type/140807/takeaway-sandwich-shop

Quite horrific reading in some cases where no improvements have been made.

Yep.

Golden Flower opposite the Co-Op gets zero points out of 5, urgent improvement necessary, recorded 14-Mar-12 and still same 30-Aug-12. 

And to think I've eaten from there in the past.  I'll go elsewhere until they smarten up.

Bluezorro

food standards
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

Harry

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »

Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »
Update - Tony from the Hatters left the Devvy, and was succeeded by a couple who I believe came from near Blackpool, who have been running the pub for the past few months.  However, I understand that they will soon be leaving.  See http://www.myrobinsonspub.com/vacancies/vacancy/79

Lets hope someone comes along who can restore this landmark pub to its former excellence.   

u360213

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »

Happy to report Tony is doing a good job thus far.

Beer is consistently good, wine has decent choices at sensible prices. Good rioja for £12.

Of particular note its the newly appointed chef. Had a fantastic roast on sunday, good quality and terrific value at £7 something! The other half had an excellent fish and chips which was tasty and non greasy.

its a  first visit and time will tell but we may finally have an alternative to the Hate & Hounds which we feel has become a little overpriced of late.

Recommended.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
I gather that the new licensee at the Devvy is to be the present landlord of the Hatters.  Or is it landlady - I haven't been in the Hatters for a few years.   :(

Tony has been the landlord at the Hatters since Mark and Anita Singleton moved to the Ring o' Bells. He keeps a good pint and always has Dissy Blonde on, which is my personal favorite Robbies brew. Hope that doesn't change!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

moorendman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
AS far as I know that is the case. He takes over on the 1st April. Lets hope it's after noon.  ;D

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
I gather that the new licensee at the Devvy is to be the present landlord of the Hatters.  Or is it landlady - I haven't been in the Hatters for a few years.   :(

Dave

The Devvy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
Just letting everyone know that John Longworth, licensee of the Devonshire Arms in Mellor, will shortly be leaving for pastures new - namely, New Mills Golf Club.  John and Liz have been running a good pub there for the past 13 years or so - they'll be missed.    :'(