Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Private Children's Nursing Home Marple 1930's & 1940's  (Read 9880 times)

AnnieAnders

Re: Private Children's Nursing Home Marple 1930's & 1940's
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »
Thank you to everyone's great suggestions & possibilities, I'm off to look at them & to see if I can get some more concrete evidence.

Sorry for my tardy reply but I've not logged on in a while.......Thanks again & Regards...Annie.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »
Just thought - it couldn't be Brentwood could it? This was a "home for tired mothers" situated on Church Lane. There was a thread in the forum about this last year(?). It was a holiday and respite centre for deprived children and their mothers - usually from slum areas in Manchester.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
This is a long shot really but here goes - Does anyone know anything about the history or have any stories or information relating to a Private Children's Nursing Home in situated Marple, that was in existence in the 1930's & 40's & probably much later too. I'm sorry I don't know what it was called.

It may also have had some association / connection with a local MP & during this period (from abt 1938-1945) was run by an Effie Clancy....who may have been of Irish origin?.

All help however small much appreciated.

Thanks to all and Regards. Annie.
Could it be Nab Top sanatorium? From the 1920s to 1948 it was a tuberculosis sanatorium and it would have housed adults as well as childen. It closed in 1984 and latterly had been treating other chest complaints. The site is now occupied by a Barchester care home.

The following link will give you further information about Nab Top but even if Nab Top is not what you are looking for the website may help you in your search

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=1978&page=37#jump2management

Prior to the establishment of the NHS all hospital treatment, whether in private or local authority run hospitals was chargeable although the cost could be covered by charities, trade unions, etc., so it may be that the info you have about a "private" nursing home is a bit off

Hope some of this helps.

AnnieAnders

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
Thanks for your help......I don't think that Treetops can be the place I'm after as I was told it was definitely ' private nursing home'. The only other info being that there was some sort of association with a local MP & that the Matron (for want of a better word) was Ms Clancy. I saw the photo's you mention & the thread re Treetops, which is why I posed the question, as to if it could have been this place..............Kind Regards......Annie

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:44:18 PM »
Treetops was The Marple Children's' Orthopaedic Hospital on Dale Road - formerly a "Crippled Children's" Home originally built by the Cripples Help Society in 1912 - there are lots of photos on the virtual tour at http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/index.php?cat=29

We have a separate section for Treetops / Orthopaedic Hospital topics here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?board=22.0

I don't think Treetops was private in the sense that you paid for your treatment there. I think it was funded by charity and probably later became part of the National Health? It was the reference to "private" that stopped me mentioning Treetops in the first place in response to your original enquiry but perhaps that is what you are seeking.

If it is I will move this topic there - do you have any more details that may help to confirm?

Just by chance one of the folders I have from Marple Local History at the moment is the Treetops one, so I will start on that next for uploading to the Virtual Tour.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

AnnieAnders

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
Ray,

Thanks very much for replying to my posting & for the lead.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the Nursing Home I'm looking for was Maternity. I do think, however, that children were involved though but not babies. I've seen reference to Treetops, could this have been the place I'm looking for. My connection was with a children's nurse (or nursing assistant) there from 1938-1945. Effie Clancy was definitely in charge.

Thanks Again & Regards, Annie.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »
Annie. Holly Mount on Station Road facing Hollins lane was a private nursing home for mothers and new babies (maternity home). Hope that helps.  Ray

AnnieAnders

Private Children's Nursing Home Marple 1930's & 1940's
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
This is a long shot really but here goes - Does anyone know anything about the history or have any stories or information relating to a Private Children's Nursing Home in situated Marple, that was in existence in the 1930's & 40's & probably much later too. I'm sorry I don't know what it was called.

It may also have had some association / connection with a local MP & during this period (from abt 1938-1945) was run by an Effie Clancy....who may have been of Irish origin?.

All help however small much appreciated.

Thanks to all and Regards. Annie.