Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: New shop at Rose Hill  (Read 93503 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: New shop at Rose Hill
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »
I'm going to let Mel have the last word on this - topic closed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

rosehillstores

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
I honestly find you people unbelievable,these are in effect cowardly comments carried out by people who hide behind pseudonyms commenting on things you have read here! you have no way of knowing whats fact or fiction.and not one of you took me up on my offer and came in and introduced yourself .my son does not work in the shop he does not get payed he occasionally helps out because he wants to ,grow up! petty to say the least. NOW FOR THE LAST TIME lets get this straight you have two businesses one totally law abiding who employs nine local people and one who by there own admission has opened just to put us out of business who exploits workers and the local children and who is under investigation by the police,trading standards and licencing which none of you found deplorable, as a parent i find it sickening as do the majority of our community who speak to me and tell me so daily and despite what you say we are here for good its our family home unlike, your friends who where trying to sell the shop last month perhaps they will go to marple bridge not that id wish it on you

amazon

« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
Ithink mell usedto be in the bridge .and whats wrong with the standard of people in marple bridge .

bluebelly

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
just like to say thanks to the member of staff at the spar who let my son use there phone the other day.the people at the spar should move down to the bridge,were there would be awarm welcome, were desperate for a spar.plus a better standered of people

marpudlian

« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2011, 12:57:32 AM »
According to http://direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/ParentsRights/DG_4002945 , the youngest age any child can work is 13 years old, with the exception of children involved in:

television
theatre
modelling
similar activities

marpudlian

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »
Have both shops actually tried talking to each other? ??? This could remove any animosity and resolve some issues such as access to the carpark and whether the barricade and Mel's wife swearing (:o) actually happened.

Or perhaps Premier could take over Spar and knock the shops into a large one, while still allowing Mel and his family to live upstairs. This would have large savings - fewer staff would be needed for example.

Or could Spar move to Marple Bridge? There are no other similar shops so they would have no competition.

marplex

« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »
there is plenty of scope for two shops selling regular items of grocery to be very close to each other. Competition is healthy

The fact that adjacent shops sell the same things isn't a reason for one to be shut down.

I totally agree with these statements but clearly Mel does not agree

Quote from: rosehillstores
only enough money for one shop

When it comes to business Mel is clearly a card short of a full deck. He has clearly never heard of Economies of Agglomeration - to describe the benefits that firms obtain when locating near each other ('agglomerating'). Clusters attract more customers than a single store could alone and therefore using this principle both stores can be more successful together than on their own.

Then you have the 80/20 rule that any retailer should know and this rule states that 80% of your turnover will come from 20% of your products. Now if Spar and Premier sell a different set of products for that top 20% you can have a situation where customers will shop at both stores and are less like to travel to a supermarket and both stores benefit. I think I shall charge Mel for this advice!

But this won't work because of Mel's attitude which is this town ain't big enough for the two of us and it's a battle till the death.

Quote from: rosehillstores
the gloves are off

Mel does not seem to realise that every time he sounds off to customers about the goings on that he putting them off visiting either store. Not to mention when he intimidates the customers for shopping at Premier. Here are a selection of comments from this topic:

Quote from: Tina
do feel uncomfortable when I see him do that. It's about peoples freedom of Choice at the end of the day

Quote from: Cripes
it's one thing offering support but quite another when you are bullied/shamed into it.

Quote from: stockport road
To the point that , now - Its putting me off going in at all

Quote from: Country Life
I must admit in a way his task of making people avoid the shop has worked as if I see him outside again I'll be avoiding the shop as I don't want to be questioned and made to feel guilty for where I want to shop.

So when Mel says "only enough money for one shop" this is clearly not true. If one shop closed and the other made it into one large shop it would do a lot more business than the two stores do currently. Where Mel is concerned "shooting yourself in the foot" comes to mind.

heather

« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »
and dont  forget we could allways re open the mines and send them down there

Miss Marple

« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
If I had my way I would have all children of a similar age shovelling slack instead of just expecting constant handouts !

Why not just push them up the chimneys. And while we're at it, we could stop all benefits and reopen the workhouses. That would save the country some money.
I'm warming to you Harry !

Harry

« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
If I had my way I would have all children of a similar age shovelling slack instead of just expecting constant handouts !

Why not just push them up the chimneys. And while we're at it, we could stop all benefits and reopen the workhouses. That would save the country some money.

Miss Marple

« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
I read through all 12 pages of this topic again last night and was again surprised at what has been happening over the last year or so: Illegal immigrants, barricades, underage sales, police raids, blocked access, shop staff allegedly swearing at people and all kinds of rumours. It is like a soap opera!

Also, Mel has admitted that his 10 year old son works in Spar, is this even legal??  :o
. Now I can see another business opportunity !  I wonder if Mike Le Han would be interested   ;)
There has always been illegal immigrants in Marple ask any of the large care homes.  And it wasn't all that long ago that a group of Chinese illegal immigrants were found living in a house on Carver Rd or Edwards Way I think they had something to do with the nail bar on Stockport Rd.  And as for Mels son working in the shop earning I suspect pocket money I see nothing wrong with that.  If I had my way I would have all children of a similar age shovelling slack instead of just expecting constant handouts !

Miss Marple

« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
as long as it's not Tesco yeah?

(just trying to keep up)
. Yes ! I forgot about that ! Thanks  :P

marpudlian

« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
I read through all 12 pages of this topic again last night and was again surprised at what has been happening over the last year or so: Illegal immigrants, barricades, underage sales, police raids, blocked access, shop staff allegedly swearing at people and all kinds of rumours. It is like a soap opera!

Also, Mel has admitted that his 10 year old son works in Spar, is this even legal??  :o

hollins

« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
If everybody in Marple suddenly decided to shop in Spar then its shelves would rapidly be emptied. Similarly if they all decided to shop in Premier Foods. On that basis there is plenty of scope for two shops selling regular items of grocery to be very close to each other. Competition is healthy - the Co-op is a pretty good of example of where it is lacking in the centre of Marple; (Iceland, please extend your opening hours - I promise I would shop there if you opened in the evening!)

As far as my limited memory takes me, these two shops in Rose Hill used to be a Post Office and an Off-Licence, so I don't think that either of the current shops is exactly an ancient fixture in Marple.

If you walk down a street in Manchester you will see 4 shops in a row selling mobile 'phones. If you walk through the Arndale Centre then every second shop seems to be selling clothes. The fact that adjacent shops sell the same things isn't a reason for one to be shut down.

Of course where a grocery store is really needed is Marple Bridge ... (sorry, I'm sure somebody has already written that).

It might be better for shopkeepers to concentrate on their retail business rather than casting aspersions on their competitors in online forums. That way they may be able to develop their own individual specialities, we will visit both and everyone will be happy.

Tricky

« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
as long as it's not Tesco yeah?

(just trying to keep up)
meh