Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: The Oddfellows  (Read 46003 times)

Dave

Re: The Oddfellows
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
Looking at the menu I think £12 for a burger and £12 for fish and chips is pushing it more than a bit!
We went along to the Oddies again last week.  I'm not normally a great consumer of burgers, but I had the home made lamb burger, and honestly, it was delicious - the best burger I've ever eaten anywhere.   :P  At £12 it was a bargain! 

Dave

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
I agree with Duke.  The Oddfellows food prices are not excessive for a place of that quality. If you check the Oddies' nearest competitor (foodwise), the Hare and Hounds at Mill Brow, you'll see the prices are very similar.  No doubt they keep a close eye on one another.

Now the price of beer at the Oddies - don't get me started on that.........    ::)

Duke Fame

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »
went there the other friday, well worth a visit .
great food and a very friendly welcome. will be back soon

Looking at the menu I think £12 for a burger and £12 for fish and chips is pushing it more than a bit!

£12 fish & Chips is reasonable, it cost about £5 for take away and £4 to make it yourself

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:10 PM »

bluebelly

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

Cripes

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:37 PM »

Dave

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Had a good meal there a couple of evenings ago. The bar was crowded and, as others have reported, it can get extremely noisy when there are so many people in.  The food was good and fair value - although I still maintain that £3.30 for a pint of bitter is too much for round here    :'(.
One improvement is that they seem to have stopped doing this: 
There is a discretionary 10% service charge added which also includes any drinks taken as part of the meal (including beer). That is a bit naughty.

bluebelly

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
the oddies has had a good review in todays metro,
well done guys

Duke Fame

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »

For Sale sign has gone and work is going on inside.

Rumours abound so I wont speculate but if the rumours are on the right track it is good news for this special little pub.

Fingers crossed!
                             Know the people that have bought it . [ will give it six months ]

So, how do you like your egg? Poached or on your face?

Dave

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
...but I do wish they would open at normal times.  We dropped by about 7.00 on Sunday evening and the door was firmly locked!   >:(

Djmell

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »
Went for a meal for the first time this week at the Oddfellows and can report that the food was fantastic!

I couldn't swear to it, but it certainly appeared that every element appeared to be made from fresh - no frozen meals!

Nice to see that most of the tables were busy and also good to see a local business operating successfully.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Yep I had a great meal in there last night  cheap but not at all nasty !  I will be going again. Good stuff

Dave

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
It's taken a while, but we have at last got round to eating at the Oddies, for the first time since the arrival of the new management.  It was excellent.  The menu is not too long, but a sensible mix of interesting dishes (Scallops, braised ox cheek) alongside a few more predictable ones for the less adventurous (steak, fish and chips etc).  And the really good news is that it's not unduly pricy.  Starters at £6 or £7, most mains around £12 - this is pretty reasonable for this quality of cooking round here.  It was deservedly busy the night we were there, upstairs and down.    The only problem with the Oddies, we find, is that the bar can get very noisy when it's busy - a combination of a few locals on their seventh pint and a low ceiling which traps the boom of their voices!   But overall the new Oddies is warmly recommended.    :P

Duke Fame

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Interesting that they are closed Sunday evenings and all day Mondays and Tuesdays.  Maybe this reinforces the concern that they do not plan to run it like a proper pub? Still, it's early days, and let's hope they can make it work this time.   :P
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]

I'm surprised that you want to draw attention to such a negative post, although alarmingly you seem quite proud. Let's hope they prove you wrong.

im not really icant tell you the reason why i dont think it will be work . maybe when it closes .

Lordy, that's a encouraging line. I think what did for Phil beforehand was the rent shot up after a year and he only really started to get going in the last 6 months of his tenure so never got to a stage to prove it as a going concern. I understood the current owner's bought the place so i'd not think that was an issue.

I know some were put of by his [Phil's] eccentricity but for myself and the Duchess of fame, that was part of the charm and of course, when he was on his game, he was an excellent chef.

I went in over Christmas for a quick bite. I had a steak which was excellent and good value, the Duchess had a cheese and onion pie which was acceptable but rather overpriced for a simple dish.

The pint I had was very nice + reasonable.

I can understand it not being open on a Monday + Tuesday, they have to have a break at some point and because most visitors have to drive, they are not going to sell a lot of Beer on those days and let's be honest, Mellor-dwellers are the sort to spend every day propping up the bar.

amazon

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
Interesting that they are closed Sunday evenings and all day Mondays and Tuesdays.  Maybe this reinforces the concern that they do not plan to run it like a proper pub? Still, it's early days, and let's hope they can make it work this time.   :P
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]

I'm surprised that you want to draw attention to such a negative post, although alarmingly you seem quite proud. Let's hope they prove you wrong.

im not really icant tell you the reason why i dont think it will be work . maybe when it closes .