To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Rawlings Cottage  (Read 8294 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Rawlings Cottage
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
My mother and father were the last to live in the cottage before it was demolished around 1958.  The reason it had to be demolished was that the banking started to slide down into the farm yard and the cottage was deemed unsafe. :(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
The new image of Rawlings Cottage provided has now been uploaded to the Virtual Tour at:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-3740

Many thanks for this  ;D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
No, I can't provide contact details, however, I can pass on yours if you would like to PM or email them to me. I don't know Jack myself but my son does. Best option might be to send me an email that I can print out with your contact details and an introduction to explain to Jack your potential family links and what you'd like to discuss. That will give him the option to follow up your contact if he chooses to. I'm not certain he has email so suggest include address and phone number too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

froggatt21

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
I will provide the image.  I would like to make contact with Jack Froggatt, though I don't know if they are relatives.  Can you provide contact information?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
The cottage is definitely gone, although I'm not sure exactly when. Much of it's recent history is in this thread.

Here is a picture of the cottage with a couple outside http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-1369

If yours is different to this we'd love a copy to share with everyone on the Tour.

Incidentally are you aware that a Froggatt family still live in Brabyns Park? Jack Froggatt and his family live in the house / cottage in the woodland alongside the canal.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

froggatt21

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
My Great-Grandparents Edward and Sarah Froggatt lived in Rawlings Cottage in the late 1800s and / or early 1900s.  I would love to know more about the history of the place.

froggatt21

Rawlings Cottage
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
I have heard that Rawlings Cottage is no longer in existence.  Can anyone substantiate this?  My Great-Grandparents lived there in the late 1800's.  I have a lovely picture of them in front of the place.

Is there anyone out there who knows the history of the building?

Cycling Duk

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
 :D When I delivered Greengrocery with Schofields it would have been 1945 to 1948. I do remember Brabyn's Farm, But not any cottages other than the one up above the Sports Pavilion.

Miss Marple

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
Thanks for that information it is a lovely photo of the cottage.  My mother lived there up till around 1957-58 do you think you could have delivered to them.  I was told at a history meeting that there would have been lots of cottages in Brabyns not just Rawlings Cottage and the Pink House, do you remember anymore.

Cycling Duk

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
 :D Miss Marple,  I was responsible for at least one of the old photographs on the website, the one with the old couple stood at the door, They were some relation to my Mother and had the surname Hill but that is the limit of my knowledge. My parents are dead now or I am sure I would have been able to give you more information

When I was 12 years old or so I used to deliver Greengrocery from Schofields in Marple Bridge to the cottage on Friday nights.

When I was young a gang of us used to play regularly in the Dutch Barn which used to stand near Iron Bridge Cottage and if you remember there used to be a gate which was kept closed at the Iron Bridge, this had a row of perhaps 2" high spikes across the top, We were once chased by the irate farmer (Mr. Lowe ) who discovered us in the Hay Barn and he fired a shotgun over our heads, I think we nearly cleared the gate in our haste to get away.

Miss Marple

Rawlings Cottage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
 :-\  I used to live in Rawlings cottage, Rollings lane Ludworth  Brabyns Park.  The house is no longer there as it started to slide down the hill into the farm at the bottom and sadly had to be demolished.  Some of the old stones from the cottage still remain and I have made a rockery in my garden with some i collected from there.  Rawlings Cottage was the next house along after the Pink House heading towards Compstall.  There are a couple of lovely pictures on the Marple Web site but I would like to know a little more history about the house.  My mother paid her rent to Miss Hudson the owner of Brabyns hall.  The story goes that the rent man was over charging tenants for his own gain and over the years had made a considerable sum of money.  When it came to the attention of Miss Hudson she reimbursed the teenants for the extra money they had paid in rent and sacked her long serving rent collector.  The rent collector was ostracised by all in the village, he was later found hanged in Brabyns Park he had taken his own life due to the shame he had brought upon himself and family who lived in Compstall village.