Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: River Goyt  (Read 6329 times)

Barbara

Re: River Goyt
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Oops - hope you made a swift exit!!  Cheers   :D

Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
I'd appreciate a tip off if possible next time you see them Dave. Like to try and get some photos.

Will do.  I believe that patience, concentration and a quick trigger finger are vital attributes.  Last autumn while walking the dog I stopped to chat to a guy who was poised there with camera and tripod, waiting for a fish to oblige.   While he was distracted by me, I saw a huge salmon leap up the weir (but he didn't ........ :'(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:38 PM »
We do indeed, and brown trout too. Later this summer and through the autumn, try the weir under the Roman Lakes railway viaduct. 

Yes I'd heard that was the spot to see them but no success so far. I'd appreciate a tip off if possible next time you see them Dave. Like to try and get some photos.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
I also understand that....we even have salmon jumping up the weirs (although I've not managed to spot them yet myself).

We do indeed, and brown trout too. Later this summer and through the autumn, try the weir under the Roman Lakes railway viaduct. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
To pick up on the point about pond weed etc., I think that you don't get much of this on the Goyt because it is fast flowing. I also understand that the condition of the river is far better than it used to be and that we even have salmon jumping up the weirs (although I've not managed to spot them yet myself).

Regarding the smell, it may be worth reporting that to the Environment Agency. If they were concerned after you'd described it to them I think they would look into it further.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Deniseam

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
We were taqking a walk around the far end of Brabyns near the river - the smell seemed to be strongest where there seemed to be a small stream coming into the river - I can't remember if it was before or after the confluence of the two rivers.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
Smell?  What smell?  The river used to be unpleasantly smelly at times, and would often be a strange colour as a result of chemical pollution.  But at the moment it seems to be cleaner than it's ever been, and there are plenty of fish in it.   (Mind you, my wife says I've got no sense of smell...........:)

Deniseam

River Goyt
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
Had a lovely walk by the River Goyt today and saw some people swimming in it.  That got me to thinking about what is the reason there is no vegetation in the river - pond weed, reeds etc?  What is causing the smell?  My kids were throwing stones into the river and their hands smelled bad after contact with the water.