Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Electricity Supplier, meter readers  (Read 2504 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Electricity Supplier, meter readers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »
I had a bit of an "issue" with npower.. they started to transfer our services as a result of a short advertising phone call to my husband.  we received a letter which they refused to discuss with me as I was not the person who they had supposedly set up an account with.. person on the other end actually put the phone down on me in the end "because they didn't like my attitude" and yes none offensive very polite but... irritated understandably
rang our supplier Scottish power.. simple they just put an immediate stop on any account transfer request.. they said npower would have to request transfer from them and as I'd said I didn't want to go yet then they could stop it...
As i understand it without that transfer from the existing supplier they cant do it regardless of how many times they call at your door so....

eeyore21

Re: Electricity Supplier, meter readers
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
we had someone call a couple of weeks ago. i also told him i was happy with british gas. he carried on saying what he had to say untill he got to the point of "how do you pay". i told him by card at the pay point shop with that he pulled his face and left. they haven't been back since maybe thats the way to go a little white lie.

alan@marple

Electricity Supplier, meter readers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »
A couple of weeks ago two salesmen called at my house from EON. I told them that I was happy with my supply of Gas and Electric from British Gas and that I was not interested in changing my supplier.

This morning 2nd September, following a card being put through my door an EON Meter reader called to read mine.

I sent him on his way and subsequently telephone British Gas to voice my concerns. I was told to not let them read the meter as that would be deemed to be an acceptance of service. The of course would follow a considerable amount of correspondence.

So it just seems to emphasize the point that one should always ask to see ID and that all members of the household know who suppliers are.

Here's a precis of  the email that I have sent to them

2nd. September 2008

Dear Sirs,

This morning a meter reader from Eon called at my home, requesting to read my electricity meter, this was following an eon card dropped through my letter box.

The reader said his name was XXXXXXXXX
Although he was wearing a name badge, he did not produce any form of identity.

I am not, and have never been a customer of EON and I have not subscribed to any inquiry from your company.It is not my intention to change from my current provider British Gas.

For your information within the last month EON salesmen have been doing  a door to door canvass in this area and did call upon me and I told them that I was happy with my contract with British Gas.

Will you please ensure that I receive no more unsolicited calls or communications and I would welcome your comments with regards to your salesmen's calls and the request to read my meter.

Should it transpire that you have a document said to contain my signature, then it is fraudulent and I would wish to receive a copy of it in order to report the matter to the appropriate authority.

Your earliest reply would be appreciated

Yours etc.