Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: wells  (Read 4151 times)

RAY NOBLE

Re: wells
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
The cottage at the rear of the con. club was well cottage owned by stone mason Albert Goddard. Chapel House Farm had there own well at the right hand side of the farm buildings they stooped using it  because it became polluted. Hollins Terrace had a well in one of the front gardens about the middle house it was filled in 1960 when the houses were modernized by the council Vessey's were the contractors I was the plumber.  Ray

Diane Chew

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »
does anyone know of any natural wells in marple  talking to one of marple older folk she  mentioned two one at marple hall and one in one of the cellers in one of the houses at the top of hollins lane just curious

There was a well in the garden of the cottage which backed onto the Shepley Hall (the Conservative Club). It was filled in and I think it is now under the carpark of the Con Club.

heather

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
thoght of another one it was down seven stiles when there was allotments there

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:08:06 AM »
Oh well  ;D I suppose I better tell you what I know then, which is all from books as I'm not nearly old enough to remember  ::)

This is from "A History of Marple".........

Water came mainly from wells and pumps - hence Well Cottage and Pump Street. For the most part they were unsatisfactory. The well at All Saints' was polluted by rain water; the well at the Ring o' Bells gave water "as from a clay pit"; in Cross Lane the well was poisoned by sewage, and that at Rose Hill was forcibly closed. Although there was a pump at the corner of Andrew Lane at High Lane, boys sent to draw water often filled the buckets from the canal to save time!

So all this means that there were definitely wells at All Saints', the Ring o' Bells (wonder if Peter can tell us more about this?) Cross Lane and Rose Hill. There was definitely one at Marple Hall and there is a well at Mellor near the Old Vicarage that we dug out several years back. I'm sure there must have been many many more but that's all I know about.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

heather

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
i was told that also,come on admin do you not know any  more :)

the rover

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
Was there not a well across the road from All saints church down the steps, that was what I was told as a child?

heather

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
thanks wolfman, just remembered one was rediscovered on waterside  a few years ago :)

wolfman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
I believe there is one in a garden on lockside. Also one was capped under Littlewoods butchers years ago.

heather

wells
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »
does anyone know of any natural wells in marple  talking to one of marple older folk she  mentioned two one at marple hall and one in one of the cellers in one of the houses at the top of hollins lane just curious