To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Climate Action Now (CAN) Fund  (Read 1995 times)

Razzle24

Re: Climate Action Now (CAN) Fund
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 06:03:25 PM »
Do we know what the overall budget is for this project?

Although it’s a good idea - it’s being done against a backdrop of council tax increasing and services being cut, plus wasted money on speed bumps that are not environmentally friendly. (Stockport Council sends out very mixed messages on it stance on reducing air quality!)

Steve - do you think at this moment in time it is a good use of taxpayers money?

GM

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 04:15:07 PM »
I hope you were trying to say grass can combat global warming, not exactly true.

As all living plants do actually emit co2 during the night, without going down the rabbit hole. Yes they absorb co2, however over a full year this is pretty negligible when you take into account summer and winter etc.

Saying trees would be a better idea, as they store co2 within the timber. But again planting trees will never be the panacea solution.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »
I don't really see how wild flowers in boxes or on grass verges does anything to combat climate change.

You could argue it actually increases co2 or at the least co2 neutral.

Even Plants Can Contribute to Global Warming. Plants take carbon dioxide (CO2) out of the atmosphere to do photosynthesis, and thus help reduce the greenhouse gases warming the planet.

The above was taken from a live science website.

GM

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 03:15:34 PM »
I don't really see how wild flowers in boxes or on grass verges does anything to combat climate change.

You could argue it actually increases co2 or at the least co2 neutral.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 01:55:35 PM »
I’m aware of this thanks. I have stated in my application that any planting on verges etc will be only after discussion with council officers. Wildflowers on verges is something we have discussed in the past and they been broadly in support of it which is why I am still putting the application in.

I also made it clear that I still want the application to proceed as schools etc will benefit.

Kind regards

Steve

Razzle24

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:39:35 PM »
Steve you cannot use this fund for planting on public land.

Steve Gribbon

Climate Action Now (CAN) Fund
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 07:47:55 AM »
Good morning

At present there is funding available for local projects where the emphasis is on the reduction of greenhouse gases. This funding is available to anyone with an idea to help the environment. As examples- I have requested funding for flower boxes to be looked after by residents on the road where I live. Added to this is a request for £500 on wildflower seeds which I am hoping our community can use in a variety of areas. Additional funds have become available and potentially larger projects could be subject to increased grants.

Here is the link: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/stockport-climate-action-now-can-fund/who-can-apply

Good luck if you apply, all being well this could be a great project for where we live.

Kind regards

Steve