Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Aron Thornley: Liberal Democrat candidate for Marple South and High Lane 2019  (Read 6795 times)

bat man

Hope you get voted in Aron.

Aron Thornley

Hi. My name is Aron Thornley. I am standing in the local council elections as the Liberal Democrat Candidate for Marple South and High Lane.  I thought it would be good to let you know a little more about me as you go out to vote in May.

I live in central Marple.  My two girls are aged 9 and 12 and attend primary and secondary schools in Marple. I have worked in various healthcare teams over the past 17 years including NHS teams. I have always enjoyed working with people from day to day whether they be colleagues or patients. 

I am one of three boys. My father and mother were both teachers for many years. My mother decided to follow her passion and went back to university in her 40’s to study Theology. She became a church minister.

My first love when I was growing up was playing and watching sport. I played cricket, rugby, basketball and football for many years but have stopped recently. I’ve taken up jogging instead. I don’t get much time to watch sport now. I most enjoy watching my two daughters train and play in netball and football teams.

I sung in various choirs when I was younger and then joined a band. We were together for 8 years; I was singing and playing guitar. I am a member of the Carver Theatre and my two girls attend Carver Juniors. Pantomime is my favourite time of the year. I’ve been involved with plays, musicals and pantomimes from the time I was at secondary school. I now sometimes help out with the backstage crew or on the bar at the Carver Theatre.

On a Sunday morning you will find me at All Saints Church in Marple. My children and I have some great friends at All Saints and feel very much supported within the church community. I help out with some of the young people there and, when I get time, at the youth drop-in on Thursday afternoons as well. I try to support PTA events at my daughter’s primary school as much as I possibly can. I am passionate about working with young people. I like to see young people being offered opportunities to learn and achieve as they grow. I managed a youth club for 3 years between 2011 – 2014.

My interest in politics has been informed by my own experiences of family, community and my workplace. I’ve got many friends and family working in both the public and private sectors. I believe that every individual should be given the opportunity to follow their dreams and strive to work in an environment that supports and nurtures their skills and endeavour.

One of the most special things about our local area is the many community groups that bring people together. We need to continue to encourage these groups in whatever way we can. Some of these groups are working with the most serious and concerning current local issues in Marple and High Lane and are full of individuals dedicated to their local communities. These groups deserve our ongoing political support.

Last, but not least, I believe it is important to think about how we look after our local environment. We are lucky enough to live next to some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK. This should inform many of the decisions we make as a community together including consideration for further recycling, ongoing discussion about emissions and house building, or simply just putting our rubbish in the bins and cleaning up after our dogs. We all want to keep this beautiful place safe for the future.