Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Park Car Park Charges  (Read 16057 times)

wheels

Re: Park Car Park Charges
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 04:41:58 PM »
Geoff well as a none car driver perhaps you could rent out your drive to commuters.  😂

wheels

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 04:37:52 PM »
What Northern have done is to reduce the difference between peak and off-peak fares at 4:30 - thank goodness.

I
In response to @wheels - there may be a problem if a councillor does not live / work / own property in the constituency, but only when they are up for election.  Thanks for asking the question.

Thanks Geoff useful to know nothing can be done about the Tory who no longer lives in Stockport MBC never mind Marple.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »
What Northern have done is to reduce the difference between peak and off-peak fares at 4:30 - thank goodness.

In addition there is 1 (one) place for a car to be parked at New Mills Central.  Inevitably I think there will be less rail users but also more parking on neighbouring streets like mine.  I personally do not have a problem - I want more rail users - but some may.

In response to @wheels - there may be a problem if a councillor does not live / work / own property in the constituency, but only when they are up for election.  Thanks for asking the question.

andrewbowden

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
To be clear, rail fares in Greater Manchester are regulated by Transport for Greater Manchester, and that's not the same as subsidising.  They also regulate fares for Glossop, Hadfield and Dinting.  Ultimately most fare control for regulated fares sits with the Department for Transport - witness a few years ago when the Department for Transport decided that off peak tickets would not be valid between 4 and 6:30pm.  Transport for Greater Manchester was not involved in that decision.

Transport for Greater Manchester do subsidise some fares - things like over 65s getting free travel on trains and trams, as well as buses.

Fares for New Mills are officially set by Northern Railway - and that basically means where fares are regulated, they are controlled by the Department for Transport.

Basically unless Northern decide to reduce the fares out of the good of their own heart, nothing will ever happen, because the DfT certainly isn't going to do anything.

Howard

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
Day return from New Mills Central to Piccadilly, travelling at normal peak hours: £10.40
Same ticket from Marple to Piccadilly: £6.60.

So it is quite a big difference - £3.80 per day = £19 per week.

That's extortionate! But there are cheaper car parks pretty close to the station. There's one round near the back entrance that is only £7 per day, and there are council car parks around Edgeley which are even cheaper.

Why not create an scheme for Stockport residents' (some kind of sticker/ID card/tag etc) obtainable with proof of address that allows them to park with a discount. Anyone outside Stockport (e.g. new Mills)  can park there but at a 200% hike.

ringi

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
A peak time toll on the road from New Mills would solve a lot of problems........

Dave

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
Whichever authority is responsible for ticket prices could ease this at a stroke.

Somehow I can't see TfGM subsidising ticket prices from somewhere outside Greater Manchester.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 07:01:18 PM »
Day return from New Mills Central to Piccadilly, travelling at normal peak hours: £10.40

I believe this is the key "metric" in all this. People who live closer to New Mills would rather drive to Marple to get cheaper rail tickets, on the basis that it costs less than £19 to drive c 40 miles.

Whichever authority is responsible for ticket prices could ease this at a stroke.

andrewbowden

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:20 PM »
Does this include the Marple Councillor that now lives in Hyde and has done for some time. Indeed living in a different LA is he even still qualified.?.....

Before I lived in Marple, I lived in London.  At one point there was a Ukip councillor in the borough, who actually lived in Wales :/

wheels

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
There are a few points I guess.

Lastly, but very importantly, we know the councillors will all make a big fuss about this ........

Does this include the Marple Councillor that now lives in Hyde and has done for some time. Indeed living in a different LA is he even still qualified.?.....

andrewbowden

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
Another alternative to paying £15 at Stockport would be to park in Marple, then get the bus ;)  (£3.90 PlusBus day ticket if travelling by train.)

I go to London regularly, and always leap on the 383/384 (I do live near the bus route.)

ringi

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Does anyone on this forum use the car park to travel by train?  And would you mind paying £2 per day extra?

At present, it is easy to get a space at Rose Hill, but if Marple cost £2 that may change.    There are a lot of near Rose Hill that will be filled of parked cars if Rose Hill started charger.....

Dave

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »
What is the difference in the price of a train ticket between New Mills and Marple.

I pay £15.50 a day to park at Stockport Station.

That's extortionate! But there are cheaper car parks pretty close to the station. There's one round near the back entrance that is only £7 per day, and there are council car parks around Edgeley which are even cheaper.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
There are a few points I guess.

I pay £15.50 a day to park at Stockport Station. Well, I don't any more I load up a backpack and run. I travel to London once or twice a week. Over fifteen quid is expensive, you could park all week for that at Marple. It's nowt compared to the train fare though!

What is the difference in the price of a train ticket between New Mills and Marple. I know several Miller's who will drive over and park in Marple because the GMPTE subsidy and free parking saves them quite a bit. If the parking levelled this up perhaps fewer would do it and the carpark would have more empty spaces. How many people drive for less than a mile, I expect quite a few.

Lastly, but very importantly, we know the councillors will all make a big fuss about this but ignore the simple fact that Tory cuts, decisions taken by our MP and his colleagues, have slashed all LA funding. If any Tory or Liberal councillor suggests this isn't the case they need shouting down. As Geoff rightly pointed out the Lab minority at Stockport are struggling to balance a shrunken budget and still need to find 18million! Do you think a labour council wants to do this?!

If it is the choice between an open library and functioning social care or free parking at the station then I know how i will vote in may!

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »
I take the point that all land has a value. 
The Trafford Centre has "free" parking and does well out of it.  It's not really free - the cost is folded into what the retailers and therefore shoppers pay, but it is free at the point of use.  District centres may be "cost sensitive" - officers words, not mine.  That is, not everyone is so public-minded.

Part of the problem is that the station car park would be free, but the overflow not which is inconsistent. 

Does anyone on this forum use the car park to travel by train?  And would you mind paying £2 per day extra?

(In case you missed them, these are the original proposals from last year, and they may be subject to change
http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s126778/Enc%204%20Increase%20in%20Parking%20revenues%20draft%20business%20case.pdf )