Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Friends of Marple REC  (Read 17139 times)

Victor M

Re: Friends of Marple REC
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »
Does not answer my initial question, what happened to the public consultation and who is going to prune the 75 trees?  Unfortunately it may have gone un-noticed by MESS but trees grow. One of the problems we have in Marple is that a lot of the great views are now spoilt by trees that have been allowed to outgrow their environment.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
Here's a report on the Community Orchard that MESS have asked me to pop on the site for them (Arthur's photos added now too).

MARPLE’S COMMUNITY ORCHARD
On Saturday morning the 25 March 2017 the sun shone brightly when MESS (Marple, Mellor and Marple Bridge - Energy Saving Strategy) planted 75 trees on the green between Oldknow and Arkwright Road. The Orchard is planted on land which is a ‘Community Asset’ and with apple, pear, cherry, plum and nut trees, all will be welcome to enjoy the fruit. 75 people sponsored a tree with many there in person to plant their tree. Some of the trees were planted in the memory of a loved one or to welcome a new member of the family or to celebrate an anniversary. It was a memorable day, bringing people together, many who had never met before in the shared interest of taking care of the environment.

To make the day extra special, his Worshipful Mayor of Stockport, Chris Gordon and his wife, Mayoress of Stockport, Dr. Margaret Gordon were in attendance. Chris said, “Having been involved recently in creating a Community Orchard in my own church and the success we have had, I am delighted to see another group setting up an orchard for the benefit of all.”

MESS was created 7 years ago with the aim of reducing Carbon emissions and to take good care of the environment. MESS members meet at 7pm on the second Monday of each month at Marple Fire Station. Anyone interested in ECO issues and how to make Marple an even better place to live can find out more from info@marplemess.org.uk (The same weekend MESS also launched its Switch to Green Energy campaign. Fliers are being delivered and are also available in Marple Library and from MESS). Come along to a meeting. They are a friendly group and you would be made very welcome. Maureen Matthews, Chair of MESS said, “When the blossom comes out, we will all marvel at our achievement and share the joy with all who live in Marple and who visit this lovely place”.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
I noticed today that the proposed Orchard (which I thought was on hold pending consultation with local residents) appears to have gone ahead. Can anyone tell me if:-
  • Did any local consultation happen, if it did I appear to have missed out?
    Who is responsible for any maintenance work like pruning (which I am lead to believe needs to be done annually) windfall collection etc?

And a mess it looks too. How are the council going to cut the grass now?

Victor M

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
I noticed today that the proposed Orchard (which I thought was on hold pending consultation with local residents) appears to have gone ahead. Can anyone tell me if:-
  • Did any local consultation happen, if it did I appear to have missed out?
    Who is responsible for any maintenance work like pruning (which I am lead to believe needs to be done annually) windfall collection etc?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
Sanya, where are we up to with this?

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
Hope they had a waterproof groundsheet!!

Cyberman

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
I noticed someone is camping on there this evening. Is this a trial of a new money-making scheme - use it as a campsite?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
It obviously makes sense to pool resources, so why not work together?
Here here!

Malcolm Allan

Re: Friends of Marple REC/Friends of Marple Orchard
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
Following on from "admins" comment, I'd be delighted to work with you both. I'm a member of 7 park friends groups in Marple and they are all successful but different. Some rely on just a few dedicated workers, who turn up every second month, another has 30 members or more and has a weekly session where 20 show up regularly. One is brand new and very vibrant but finding their way, another is a re-formed group recovering,  another has been going for something like 15 years, another raised a huge amount of money for new play equipment. There is no limit to what can be done and achieved. The ambitions for the rec can be realised! They all get additional support from various places, including grant funding and donations of plants etc. The point is they are all dedicated volunteers who give of their time freely and have the same purpose, which is to help the community by improving the green space for all. They are all lovely friendly groups and a joy to work with. These  two "new" groups here have far far more in common than differences. This is a great opportunity to improve the rec and turn it back into a great part of Marple for all to enjoy. I'm happy and ready to help, not just with talking but with actions too.   Malcolm

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
The only problem with starting a Friends of the Rec NOW is that there is a Friends of Marple Orchard already set up.   Who is going to do what?  FoMO have already talked about reinstating the playground, restoring the goalposts and reopening at least one toilet.

Yes,  the only problem is that 70 households around REC have knowledge about plans of starting the Friends of Marple REC and their agenda. 
Yes, majority of those 70 households never heard about Friends of Marple Orchard and never been approached by their representative.
When was this group formed? 

Don't search for problems @geoff-t  and @sanya ! Find solutions! You all want similar things and to make Marple Recreation Ground a better place for local people AND residents would be a wonderful thing. Get together - ask one of our local councillors like @Malcolm Allan or @CllrKennyBlair (or both working together) to facilitate a meeting between you. Work out how to harness the power of those 70 households and MESS to get the drainage problem resolved, reinstate the football pitch, reopen the toilets, install a new play area AND plant an orchard in a location and quantity that everyone agrees on!

This is a fantastic opportunity - TAKE IT!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

corium

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 01:27:39 PM »
I note Friends of Marple orchard have no web presence, and that MESS is suggesting on their website all enquiries go to them & that their website is the place to go for information. Is one possibly a subgroup of the other?

sanya

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
The only problem with starting a Friends of the Rec NOW is that there is a Friends of Marple Orchard already set up.   Who is going to do what?  FoMO have already talked about reinstating the playground, restoring the goalposts and reopening at least one toilet.
Yes,  the only problem is that 70 households around REC have knowledge about plans of starting the Friends of Marple REC and their agenda. 
Yes, majority of those 70 households never heard about Friends of Marple Orchard and never been approached by their representative.
When was this group formed? 

geoff-t

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:37 PM »
It obviously makes sense to pool resources, so why not work together?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »

@sanya @geoff-t Why not all get together then?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

geoff-t

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »