Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Sorting office Marple  (Read 40457 times)

mikes

Re: Sorting office Marple
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
The postmen and women are having a meeting to decide weather to start industrial action about going to green lane stockport ,surly if a firm realocates and you keep the same job its up to you to get there .or find another job .

whether

amazon

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
That may be your definition.  But ultimately a company can do what it wants as long as it obeys by the laws of the land.  A company can - if it wants - treat its customers absolutely appallingly if it wants to.  It can pay its staff a pittance, whilst rewarding those at the top massively if it wants.  And sometimes it will even make good profits.
The postmen and women are having a meeting to decide weather to start industrial action about going to green lane stockport ,surly if a firm realocates and you keep the same job its up to you to get there .or find another job .

andrewbowden

« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »
The primary duty of any company is to behave honourably in making a profit. Any decent company would rather shut down than fail in its moral obligations to its customers, just as any honourable man or woman would rather resign and if necessary live in relative poverty than be part of a company which behaved dishonourably. Of course a viable business must make a profit, but that is only one part of its job. If it can't make a profit in an honourable manner, it shouldn't be in business.

That may be your definition.  But ultimately a company can do what it wants as long as it obeys by the laws of the land.  A company can - if it wants - treat its customers absolutely appallingly if it wants to.  It can pay its staff a pittance, whilst rewarding those at the top massively if it wants.  And sometimes it will even make good profits.

Condate

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
The primary duty of any any PLC is to deliver shareholder value.  The Royal Mail is not a social enterprise.  It has no obligations to make your life particularly easy.

The primary duty of any company is to behave honourably in making a profit. Any decent company would rather shut down than fail in its moral obligations to its customers, just as any honourable man or woman would rather resign and if necessary live in relative poverty than be part of a company which behaved dishonourably. Of course a viable business must make a profit, but that is only one part of its job. If it can't make a profit in an honourable manner, it shouldn't be in business.

Harry

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
  Not unreasonably, people may assume that any organisation using the name of our monarchy must surely belong to the nation.

Like the Royal Oak or the Royal Scot?

Dave

« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
Indeed, but I suspect that this is not yet widely understood yet. After all, the Royal Mail was only privatised four years ago, after a mere 500 years of public ownership!

I think the lack of understanding may well be because of the name.  Not unreasonably, people may assume that any organisation using the name of our monarchy must surely belong to the nation. 

andrewbowden

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
The old one in the centre (near the theatre) closed years ago. The new one is at Green Lane - a fair walk from the centre and a pain to get to by car. This is why I'm very annoyed at the closure. Can see no benefits apart from greater profits for shareholders.

The primary duty of any any PLC is to deliver shareholder value.  The Royal Mail is not a social enterprise.  It has no obligations to make your life particularly easy.

mikes

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
...Can see no benefits apart from greater profits for shareholders.

Nothing wrong with that.  These profits eventually get fed back into the economy.  If there were no profits the economy would not grow.

Cyberman

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
Even though now I have moved out of Marple i use this service in Yorkshire - there is a 70p charge to use this service, when you collect from a post office.
But I also thought stockport sorting office closed along time ago???
The old one in the centre (near the theatre) closed years ago. The new one is at Green Lane - a fair walk from the centre and a pain to get to by car. This is why I'm very annoyed at the closure. Can see no benefits apart from greater profits for shareholders.

pirate Princess

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
If that's the case, it will actually be a better solution for the majority of people - the current collection times at the sorting office are not very user friendly.

Even though now I have moved out of Marple i use this service in Yorkshire - there is a 70p charge to use this service, when you collect from a post office.
But I also thought stockport sorting office closed along time ago???

andrewbowden

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
That's basically Doddle (https://www.doddle.com/) although it's not free.  And they wouldn't need the whole site.  Just a shop.  But to make it work you need a critical mass of customers to pay for the shop.  I used to live near a branch.  It closed down.

Some years ago, someone did try doing parcel pickup from pubs but I don't think that runs any more, probably cos no one used it.

Basically most people get parcels delivered to home, neighbours or workplace.

mikes

Re: Sorting office
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
Somewhere I can pick up internet orders for free regardless of the company that transported them....

+1 ^^^^

ringi

Re: Sorting office
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »
Somewhere I can pick up internet orders for free regardless of the company that transported them....

amazon

Sorting office
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
What would you like to see replace the sorting office at Marple .When it closes in jan feb 2018 .

andrewbowden

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
You either tell them online, or you phone up.  It's straight forward to arrange.  Done it myself a few times.