Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Linked Events

• Hustings @ Marple Methodist Church: April 23, 2015

Author Topic: Hazel Grove Hustings at Marple Methodist Church [Thursday 23 April 2015]  (Read 22100 times)

Duke Fame

Well, it was a little dull wasn't it? I know it's in a church but the god related questions weren't really the issues of the day.

I think it needed to allow more banter from the floor.

I was surprised how well the ukip chap did. I disagree with him on immigration and the EU but made good points. William wragg has a good self deprecating SOH which is unusual for politics. Lisa smart was professional but lacked a sense of fun, Michael used his experience of working an audience- shame about the policies. The Green guy was a bit like the leadership, not so strong on figures. 

wheels

Unlikely he needed a parachute for Hazel Grove. The 375 bus would have been adequate. You must be thinking of a different candidate!

No definitley not. Had to be parachuted in at the last minutes when Labours selected and prefered candidate announced she could stomach the party no longer

Disgusted of Marple

It is purely and simply about who we want to represent this constituency in the house of commons. The current system does that well.
Couldn't agree less. Thousands in this constituency will vote for Wragg or Smart rather than the candidate they would prefer but who "can't win here". That is a direct result of FPTP and single-MP constituencies.

It's also worth remembering that we are not voting for parties; we are voting for individuals. That's why is is good to get the chance to have the candidates together so we can see and judge them.
Couldn't agree more. Here's hoping it makes a difference.

Disgusted of Marple

I would like to ask the Labour candidate how it feels being parachuted into Hazel Grove

Unlikely he needed a parachute for Hazel Grove. The 375 bus would have been adequate. You must be thinking of a different candidate!

wheels

Good post and welcome Condate

Condate

Maybe we could suggest some questions on here. Here's mine...

It appears that FPTP will, for the second successive election, fail to deliver it's primary objective of a majority government. Worse still, judging by the comments on this site, millions of voters will be casting their votes based on who they don't want to see elected rather than who they support. Is it time to adopt a more equitable voting system?

This election, like all general elections is not about who forms the government. It is purely and simply about who we want to represent this constituency in the house of commons. The current system does that well. It's also worth remembering that we are not voting for parties; we are voting for individuals. That's why is is good to get the chance to have the candidates together so we can see and judge them. No other system is as good as the present one. The only improvement to be made is to ensure that constituencies are arranged along sensible boundaries. Currently, I think the constituencies are too large and most cover areas which do not really belong together. Changing this would of course mean more MPs, but I think that is a price worth paying to have MPs who represent more logical areas.

wheels

I would like to ask the Labour candidate how it feels being parachuted into Hazel Grove very much at the last minute as Labour very much second best candidate. The candidate who won the original selection Cllr Laura Booth left the Labour Party due to their bullying and intolerance towards the disabled. So whats it like being considered second best even by your own party is what I would like to ask the Labour candidate as I think the internal termoil they are in locally says a great deal about them.

Disgusted of Marple

I recall the LibDems were proposing STV rather than the inferior AV prior to the 2010 election. Another one that Mr. Stunell and his crack negotiating team didn't quite pull off.

wheels

We, the people, were asked our opinion on this back in 2011 and we voted 68:32 against.

You know very well what was presented  to us was not PR and the Tory backwoodsmen worked to undermine the referendum.

Melancholyflower

the key word in the question is "equitable" Bowden. AV was an alternative vote, not an equal one.

Bowden Guy

We, the people, were asked our opinion on this back in 2011 and we voted 68:32 against.

Melancholyflower

I wholeheartedly support Disgusted's question. Seriously this should be asked.

wheels

Oh I like that Disgusted. +1

Disgusted of Marple

Maybe we could suggest some questions on here. Here's mine...

It appears that FPTP will, for the second successive election, fail to deliver it's primary objective of a majority government. Worse still, judging by the comments on this site, millions of voters will be casting their votes based on who they don't want to see elected rather than who they support. Is it time to adopt a more equitable voting system?

If we could start with the Labour candidate who's party have supported electoral reform since Ramsay MacDonald was a lad but failed to deliver it despite spending 30 years in government since then. Mr Taylor - Is there a certain irony with your situation here in Hazel Grove given that Labour have been the main beneficiaries of the two-party system for the last 40-odd years?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Hazel Grove Hustings at Marple Methodist Church [Thursday 23 April 2015]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
The organisers of the Hustings at Marple Methodist Church on Thursday 23rd April have confirmed that it is open to the general public and the more promotion it gets the better.

It takes place at Marple Methodist Church on Church Lane starting at 7.30pm.

They are asking "Please hand in your questions for the candidates in writing before 7.15pm at the Church on the night."

Two more possible hustings opportunities to see the candidates in action are:

Dialstone Lane Methodist Church: Sat 18th April: 10.00am Dialstone Lane Methodist Church, 161 Dialstone Lane, Offerton, Stockport SK2 7LQ
Churches Together in Marple: Thurs 23rd April: 7.30pm Marple Methodist Church, Church Lane, Stockport SK6 7AY

I've emailed the Marple Church to see if the general public are welcome to attend and will let you know the response.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website