Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: where are the youth clubs?  (Read 7126 times)

Marplian

where are the youth clubs?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 12:45:55 PM »
Just on Friday i was sat at the bus stop outside Hanburys, when a women aged mid 30's pulled up in a new range rover. She went in Bargain Booze and then when she came out handed alcho pops to children (who were clearly underage!! ) Where's the justice in trying to abolish youngsters drinking on the streets!?!

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 11:03:11 PM »
Hi

As far as I know there are quite a few youth clubs around the marple area but they seem to not be judged as 'cool' anymore by the local youths. What the solution to this is I don't know!

I'd suggest that the popularity of the church isn't what it once was and as many of the youth schemes are run by church groups many decide to stay away and do their own thing (whether that be hanging around in Memorial park or whatever)

The other problem is that at many of the youth clubs can start at a fairly young age (I think around 8...but I'm not sure) so evidently many 15 year olds would not be too happy with spending their friday nights surrounded by young children.

There does need to be something to keep them off the streets though.

Glynis C

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 11:41:46 AM »
I can remember in the 60's and 70's when I went to the Methodist Church Youth Club and also dances at the Albert School building on Church Lane. Drama with Gilbert and Sullivan musicals. Kept us out of mischief. I think the problem today is that we used to find things to do without tv and computers .Living in Australia we have similar problems, but we are lucky that there are a lot of activities that kids can get involved in but they have to want to participate. Having been back to Marple last summer I have seen such a change. I don't know what the solution is.

orangewhip

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 12:53:08 PM »
on friday, at 7:00pm, I saw a group of at least 10 kids wandering around the memorial park?  why doesn't marple spread some of it's affluence into youth clubs?