A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Learning from Uganda web site  (Read 5314 times)

mark tracey

Re: Learning from Uganda web site
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
really good educating web site.will be visiting it again.well done to all involved

Cbrinsley

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
I have just viewed the new Learning from Uganda website and think it is fantastic!
A great resource to schools and also to anyone interested in Uganda and the work the charity Helping Uganda Schools does out there.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
i see in the budget that once again overseas aid is ringfenced against the current round of cuts.
sorry charity begins at home for me.

Its not charity its an obligation we have undertaken along with the rest of the world rich nations. Its an indication of our civilisation as a nation that we don't question helping the world very poorest nations. It is also help that is tied to contracts for many of our businesses.

red666bear

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
i see in the budget that once again overseas aid is ringfenced against the current round of cuts.
sorry charity begins at home for me.

wheels

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
Clearly we would not agree, I would expect our children no matter how young to be made aware of the dreadful human rights record of the Ugandan Government. I would certainly be very upset as a partent if my child were not given the full facts.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »
Does it show/tell the reader that being gay isnow punishable by death un Uganda and theat their human rights record is on of the worst in Africa

Thank you for your question Wheels. If you had taken the time to read the site you would be able to see that it doesn’t mention these issues specifically, and I don't personally think it should.

But I will put it to the charity HUGS that they should consider including something about it – perhaps in the notes to the teacher - working in the country with local people I'm sure they are better aware of these issues than you or I and maybe they have considered it already, I don’t know. Maybe they will respond directly to your enquiry if they feel it appropriate to do so.

The aim of HUGS is to improve the lives and education of young people in Uganda – and, although I’m not qualified to say so, I would expect that this is something that would improve the situation in that country in the long term on all fronts if the next generation is better educated.

The new site itself is created as an educational resource for primary school children and younger in this country. It is a gentle introduction to the fact that there are people in other countries whose lives are very different to our own. I have grandchildren of this age, in primary school and younger too, and I have shown them and read to them the Learning from Uganda stories. They have been fascinated to see how different the lives of these children are but they don’t fully comprehend what those differences really mean and they are not ready to learn about the issues that you refer to. I would object most strongly (and I’m sure their parents would too) to anyone wishing to educate them about gay and human rights in any country at this stage of their lives.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
I'm please to announce the launch of a new web site for Marple Bridge based charity Helping Uganda Schools.

http://www.learningfromuganda.org.uk/

It's called Learning from Uganda and it's a web based teaching aid for both students and teachers who may be interested in learning about Uganda and Africa.

It has stories, video and pictures, and lots of information about the country and its people and culture.

It was created for HUGS Trustee, Denise Ead, who produced the wealth of material on the site based on the charity's work in Uganda.

Arthur Procter helped to create the videos from a bundle of short clips provided by the charity.

I hope that our local primary schools will be interested in using this resource to help our children learn about other children's lives in different cultures. 

Does it show/tell the reader that being gay isnow punishable by death un Uganda and theat their human rights record is on of the worst in Africa

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Learning from Uganda web site
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
I'm please to announce the launch of a new web site for Marple Bridge based charity Helping Uganda Schools.

http://www.learningfromuganda.org.uk/

It's called Learning from Uganda and it's a web based teaching aid for both students and teachers who may be interested in learning about Uganda and Africa.

It has stories, video and pictures, and lots of information about the country and its people and culture.

It was created for HUGS Trustee, Denise Ead, who produced the wealth of material on the site based on the charity's work in Uganda.

Arthur Procter helped to create the videos from a bundle of short clips provided by the charity.

I hope that our local primary schools will be interested in using this resource to help our children learn about other children's lives in different cultures. 

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website