Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Sorting office  (Read 23666 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Sorting office
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
Why indeed!

I can envisage a situation futuristically where there will be no shops, nor bookstores nor banks nor chemists et al.

Neither will there be any postwoman nor tailors nor fishmongers.

There will just be one central warehouse somewhere. It will be a huge colossus of fabricated material perhaps where the memorial park used to be. When we want anything, no matter what, we will order it from the comfort of our own home it will of course be more convenient and needless to say it will be cheaper. We won't have to go further than our i - pads to identify and supply all our wants and needs. If you don't have an i pad you will of course be the lowest of the low and you will be excluded from society or whatever society will have become.

There will be no need for human contact of any kind as all this can and will be done electronically. It is something that we all have to look forward to.     

Dave

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
Ah, but if you establish a good, friendly relationship with your postman it pays dividends - he'll leave the parcel in a pre-arranged safe place or with a trusted neighbour.

We have lived at our present address for about 25 years, and before that we lived just down the road.  For much of that time we had a very friendly relationship with the postwoman who delivered at both of those addresses, and as Henrietta suggests, it was very useful to have that personal contact.  However, now we now seem to have a different postperson every week, and I'd be very surprised if there isn't a similar arrangement where Henrietta lives.   :(

wheels

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:48 PM »
Ah, but if you establish a good, friendly relationship with your postman it pays dividends - he'll leave the parcel in a pre-arranged safe place or with a trusted neighbour. And most internet sellers have a space where you can put alternative delivery locations.

I only use the internet for things I can't buy in Marple. Why have all the hassle of Amazon deliveries when we have a brilliant bookshop in Marple which is open all day Saturday, where they don't mind you browsing and where you can hide from your partner or kids for an hour or so. If they don't have what you are looking for they will order it for you and the last time I used this facility there was no extra charge or P&P involved

Why would anyone want to do that when they can order from Amazon at a fraction of the price and get it quicker than the bookshop can.

Why would anyone buy anything in a shop when you can sit at home and do it.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
I think this arrangement (and the Amazon collection boxes which have been at the Coop for some time now) is mainly for people who are out at work all day, and who can't (or don't want to) go to the sorting office during their very limited opening hours to collect undelivered parcels.  And even if you are at home in my experience the postperson sometimes puts a 'sorry you were out' card through the door without even trying to ring the bell![/   >:(

If the Internet retailer uses a courier it's even worse, as the courier's office is usually much further away.  
Ah, but if you establish a good, friendly relationship with your postman it pays dividends - he'll leave the parcel in a pre-arranged safe place or with a trusted neighbour. And most internet sellers have a space where you can put alternative delivery locations.

I only use the internet for things I can't buy in Marple. Why have all the hassle of Amazon deliveries when we have a brilliant bookshop in Marple which is open all day Saturday, where they don't mind you browsing and where you can hide from your partner or kids for an hour or so. If they don't have what you are looking for they will order it for you and the last time I used this facility there was no extra charge or P&P involved

amazon

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
Whenever I pick something up from the Amazon lockers at the CO-OP, I land up buying something from the CO-OP that I would not have make the effort to go there to buy otherwise.

Getting an item shipped to the Amazon Lockers is at least 1 day quicker the having it shipped to my home address and there are no issues with me not being in.

It is a real shame that the Rose Hill shop does not have Amazon Lockers, as if it did, I would be shopping there more often.

Thought the rose hill shop had closed .

ringi

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Is the collection point for CO-OP goods or the on-line retailer AMAZON?

I note that the Co-op is already (or, at least, was) a nominated collection point for Amazon deliveries ... which is faintly ironic: a local retailer providing a service for an on-line one; indeed, a service that the Royal Mail sorting office ought to be able to provide anyway.

I guess we will find out in November. The Co-op's prices are truly atrocious at the moment.

Whenever I pick something up from the Amazon lockers at the CO-OP, I land up buying something from the CO-OP that I would not have make the effort to go there to buy otherwise.

Getting an item shipped to the Amazon Lockers is at least 1 day quicker the having it shipped to my home address and there are no issues with me not being in.

It is a real shame that the Rose Hill shop does not have Amazon Lockers, as if it did, I would be shopping there more often.

Dave

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 07:39:53 AM »
I think this arrangement (and the Amazon collection boxes which have been at the Coop for some time now) is mainly for people who are out at work all day, and who can't (or don't want to) go to the sorting office during their very limited opening hours to collect undelivered parcels.  And even if you are at home, in my experience the postperson sometimes puts a 'sorry you were out' card through the door without even trying to ring the bell!   >:(

If the Internet retailer uses a courier it's even worse, as the courier's office is usually much further away.   

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »
I was told by one of the staff that you will be able to order over the internet and call in and collect your order from the new collection point.  This is always supposing that the things you want are in stock, of course!  I will believe it works properly when I see it.   ;)
Doesn't it somewhat defeat the object of internet shopping if you have to go out and collect it?

Presumably "in stock" won't be a problem as you'll order before X o'clock today and collect after Y o'clock tomorrow, by which time it will have been sent to the branch from a central depot. A lot of fuss for a rather pointless exercise.

gazwhite

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
It would cost stockportmbc 2 million pounds to relocate the sorting office due to royal mail having a 99 year lease at cornfields. The council are not prepared to pay this amount as they know they cannot justify it to the tax payers of stockport during these times of austerity.

That's assuming the RM want to stay there - they may want out and or have plans for operational change, so SMBC wouldn't need to pay them, probably quite the opposite.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Where do you get a story like that from. - Honestly.

The figure of £2M was mentioned to me during an informal discussion with a local councillor, so there would appear to be some basis for it despite it seeming a ridiculous amount. Just speculating but perhaps there is a touch of being held to ransom? With your connections Wheels surely you should be able to find out more?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
It would cost stockportmbc 2 million pounds to relocate the sorting office due to royal mail having a 99 year lease at cornfields. The council are not prepared to pay this amount as they know they cannot justify it to the tax payers of stockport during these times of austerity.

Where do you get a story like that from. - Honestly.

I am always to polite to give a try response to that comment.  :)

amazon

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

were do you get that silly price from .if the incentives are right they will move .

amazon

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
Chapel fields. Sorry predictive text.

Maybe but the sorting office won't be there that long the way the post office is changing .
Now it's private .

red666bear

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
Is the collection point for CO-OP goods or the on-line retailer AMAZON?

I note that the Co-op is already (or, at least, was) a nominated collection point for Amazon deliveries ... which is faintly ironic: a local retailer providing a service for an on-line one; indeed, a service that the Royal Mail sorting office ought to be able to provide anyway.

I guess we will find out in November. The Co-op's prices are truly atrocious at the moment.
Amazon use several companies to deliver their goods. If your parcel is with the royal mail and you are out then you will be able to collect from the sorting office.

red666bear

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »

Chapel fields. Sorry predictive text.