Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Council Reports for Marple Area Committee  (Read 44377 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Council Reports for Marple Area Committee
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
Wheels has a point Dave. The Councillors I am sure are only doing what they believe is best for Marple and they don't think that putting a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane is.

I'm no fan of politicians national or local. With few exceptions they all have self -seeking agendas and I know it sounds childish but why do they all seem to be SLY. It must be something to do with the political intrigue that they become involved with. I've never been able to work it out but even if they don't start off SLY they very quickly assume it.  However, I wasn't at the meeting last night but I've had reports and by all accounts the majority of the people in that hall were supportive of what the Councillors were saying. Apparently a couple of the Councillors were even applauded. So it would seem that last night anyway, Councillors were representing the views of the people of Marple - which is exactly what they are supposed to do. The people in that hall last night didn't want a supermarket on Hibbert Lane it was just too high a price to pay even for a new college.   

Dave

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
As far as I'm concerned (and I don't think I'm alone) more than enough has already gone wrong.  Thanks to our wonderful councillors, we have had the prospect of an excellent new college building, only to see it disappearing before our very eyes!  ::)

wheels

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Dave that sounds a little like "Oh lets blame the Council before anythings gone wrong because I don't like them and want to attribute blame as soon as possible."

Hopefully we will soon see movement on the Kirkland Development

Dave

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
Kirkland is a scheme to prevent ASDA. The scheme in itself is enough - it doesn't have to be realised, not in the short - term anyway. Which could easily be five years. 

I think that was the case when the Chadwick Street scheme first came along - it was self-evidently a spoiling tactic by our wonderful councillors, designed simply to stop the Hibbert Lane scheme.

However, we have now moved on.  The Council's own independent Consultants, Hollissvincent, have now advised them that 'there is a qualitative need for at least one medium sized foodstore, in Marple,'  ( see  http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s25234/FINAL%20Marple%20Foodstores%20Report%20-%2022%2001.pdf)  This conclusion is based on the out-of-Marple shopping data which I copied and pasted in an earlier post on this thread - here it is again:
the Sainsbury's store in Hazel Grove (£6.8m);
the out-of-centre Morrisons at Bredbury (£5.5m);
the Tesco store at Whaley Bridge (£5.2m);
the Tesco store at Wren Nest Road in Glossop (£2.6m);
the out-of-centre Tesco store at Tivot Way (£2.4m);
the ASDA store in Stockport (£1.7m);
the ASDA store in Hyde (£1.6m); and
the Sainsbury's store in Stockport (£1.1m).

That adds up to nearly £27 million which we spend every year at these supermarkets.  Compare that with the *'convenience goods' turnover of the two existing Marple supermarkets and the local shops, which is put at £21.8 million.

Having commissioned this independent report, and presumably accepted its findings, the council can now reasonably be expected to take whatever steps are necessary to act upon it - i.e. to ensure that  the said 'medium sized foodstore' is actually built.   Otherwise the council, which is now officially aware of the unnecessary traffic congestion and environmental damage being caused by the lack of a proper supermarket in Marple, could in the end be under some pressure from voters and from government to explain  why they have not done anything about it. 

So they need to approve one of these applications, but the real prospect now is that the one which would undoubtedly happen, if approved, is likely to be rejected in favour of a highly speculative scheme which could very well never happen.  So in a few years time, we could find that the council will have failed to do anything about the need for a new supermarket in Marple despite having been told that they ought to.  And that could become quite an embarrassment, I guess. 

amazon

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »
Lots of people - 160+ with many more of us locked out!  :'(

Yes brigade did well then getting that many there  :D

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
Lots of people - 160+ with many more of us locked out!  :'(
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

amazon

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
Just got back from the meeting.

Asda: Councillors Candler,Alexander and Wright declared an interest in the matter in view of their various public involvements in the Asda Campaign and said that the would not take part in the discussion and left the room for the duration of the discussion on the application.

However the officer from the council stated that much more information was required concerning Asda application, upon hearing this, Madam Chairman (Councillor Ingham) said that it would not be fair to both Applicant and objectors if the full information concerning the application were not disclosed. She did say that it was very disappointing that the information was not available. Further discussion was adjourned until a date and venue to be confirmed for next month when hopefully that information will be available

Chadwick St: All voting councillors present  spoke on and  supported the application with a recommendation that it be granted.

We had the police present at the meeting but all went well without any disorder.

So it looks to me that Chadwick St, will go ahead, if Asda is eventually refused, but I suppose that will only happen once it was established whether Asda would appeal a refusal.

I shudder to think how much this lot is going to cost the council tax payers if they need to appeal againt a refusal .

Send the bill to Mia if it does .

amazon

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »

Asda: Councillors Candler,Alexander and Wright declared an interest in the matter in view of their various public involvements in the Asda Campaign and said that the would not take part in the discussion and left the room for the duration of the discussion on the application.

However the officer from the council stated that much more information was required concerning Asda application, upon hearing this, Madam Chairman (Councillor Ingham) said that it would not be fair to both Applicant and objectors if the full information concerning the application were not disclosed. She did say that it was very disappointing that the information was not available. Further discussion was adjourned until a date and venue to be confirmed for next month when hopefully that information will be available

Chadwick St: All voting councillors present  spoke on and  supported the application with a recommendation that it be granted.

We had the police present at the meeting but all went well without any disorder.

So it looks to me that Chadwick St, will go ahead, if Asda is eventually refused, but I suppose that will only happen once it was established whether Asda would appeal a refusal.

I shudder to think how much this lot is going to cost the council tax payers if they need to appeal againt a refusal .

Thanks for info alan how many people there about .

alan@marple

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »

amazon

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
I think that's fair comment Simone
Could Sada go on trinity street if they are refused at appeal .

Can anyone afford to, is perhaps the most pertinent question.

Probably right will cost a fortune to develop that site .

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
I think thats fair comment Simone
Could Asda go on trinity street if they are refused at appeal .

Can anyone afford to, is perhaps the most pertinent question.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

amazon

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
Could Asda go on trinity street if they are refused at appeal .

wheels

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
Simone, Kirkland are not putting in this application as some sort of favour to the council to stop ASDA. They will have realistic hopes of proceeding there will certainly have been informal discussions with a partner otherwise Kirkland would not be doing this.

Let us hope we see their plans coming to realisation as soon as possible.

Absolutely agree Wheels.

Nevertheless, the Council's prime motivation for Trinity Street and Kirkland's are not one and the same. The main reason Kirkland is here is because they want to build a Supermarket, as you quite rightly point out, but the main reason they have been brought here ( let's not forget at the Council's invite) is because the Council wants to stop one being built. If ASDA hadn't rode into town there would not be any Kirkland scheme to debate. Kirkland is here because of ASDA and for no other reason. 

wheels

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
Simone, Kirkland are not putting in this application as some sort of favour to the council to stop ASDA. They will have realistic hopes of proceeding there will certainly have been informal discussions with a partner otherwise Kirkland would not be doing this.

Let us hope we see their plans coming to realisation as soon as possible.