Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193329 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
It's on rightmove. 6 million pounds.
Yes, in the meantime I've found it.

PhilB

« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:46 PM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
Goyt Mill is still for sale..

Who sez?

There was a link, which seems to have disappeared, to Right Move but it wouldn't work and now I can't find it.  There are plenty of units WITHIN the mill to let and for sale on Right Move but I can't find any reference to the mill itself being for sale apart from on the Marple website.

PhilB

« Reply #385 on: February 12, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
If the coop wasn't a coop and it was a decent supermarket, would Marple actually need a second supermarket?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
Knock down the Fire Station/redevelop the car park next to it and stick an Aldi on the site...

And to where would you relocate the fire station?

amazon

« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
And also detrimental to the businesses sited in the Goyt Mill!
Most likely be turned into apartments .same for Compstall mill if that's ever sorted .both mills are in a bad state of repair . Don't think they are listed buildings .A lot of Compstall mill is empty .....

Barbara

« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »
And also detrimental to the businesses sited in the Goyt Mill!

Dave

« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
Hollins sums up the position well, although I think this is stretching a point:
There are plenty of retail outlets outside it [the town centre boundary] anyway.

Actually, a close look at the map suggests that there is not a single shop outside the red line, apart from those which are not in the centre at all, such as Marple Bridge, Rose Hill and Hawk Green. 

A supermarket at Dooley Lane can almost be ruled out, because it is so far 'out of town' and therefore completely contrary to planning guidance.  However, if Hibbert Lane is sold for housing, and therefore no longer available for retail use, then it's possible that Goyt Mill could come in to the frame as a supermarket site by virtue of passing the sequential test. 

It would be ironic if the gang that stymied the college's development plans (MIA, MBF, councillors, MP) found that their actions had led to a supermarket being built further away from the town centre, and therefore, as hollins points out, potentially more detrimental to local shops than a Hibbert Lane Asda would have been.   ::)

hollins

« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
By the way, there's no 'debate..... as to what defines town centre/edge of centre/boundaries.'  It's all laid down in black and white in government planning guidelines. 

Towns develop. Their centres change and it is perfectly possible for a council with the will ... to redraw whatever boundaries it chooses. Marple's population has increased many times since somebody arbitrarily drew a boundary on that map. There are plenty of retail outlets outside it anyway.

A lot of the data in the marplepartnership website seems very out of date; for example, one of the "Groups represented" is Ridge Danyers College, whilst the last data for "Marple's Performance" is 2001 (12 or 13 years old). Either way, this is definitely not an elected (or representative) body.

The Chadwick Street development is not feasible or economic and probably isn't desirable (at least that is what the big supermarkets clearly think, or there would be a firmer tenant in the wings by now). It was an ill-thought-out (and wasteful and costly) attempt to block a Hibbert Lane development.

Simply redraw the "town centre/town edge" boundaries to include the Hibbert Lane site. Otherwise someone may eventually end up putting a large supermarket at the Goyt Mill or the Marple Garden Centre and that really would cripple the centre of Marple.

What was actually decided at the Stockport MBC Executive Meeting by the way?

Dave

« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
There is no 'inescapable conclusion' whatsoever to be had at this stage.

Sorry, I obviously failed to make my point clear.  I'll try again.

1.  A quick look at this map confirms that only possible site for a new 25,000 sq.ft. supermarket within the boundaries of the town centre is Chadwick Street.   http://www.marplepartnership.org.uk/map.htm
2.  Kirkland have tried and failed to persuade any supermarket chain to take the site.
3.  SMBC may have more success, but as amazon rightly points out, they are more likely to fail.  After all, why should they succeed after others have failed.  
4.  If they fail, the 'inescapable conclusion' is that the only place for a supermarket will be edge of centre.  

By the way, there's no 'debate..... as to what defines town centre/edge of centre/boundaries.'  It's all laid down in black and white in government planning guidelines. 

amazon

« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
Knock down the Fire Station/redevelop the car park next to it and stick an Aldi on the site...

It will not hapen were stuck with what we have . The councill will be fafing around for years .. ..

simonesaffron

« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Indeed - but the key word there is 'if'.  We can be sure that Kirkland will have tried very hard indeed to persuade one of the big supermarket chains to take the site, but without success.  So as things currently stand, there is no prospect of a supermarket being built on any town centre site.  For the planners' definition of 'town centre', see this map:  http://www.marplepartnership.org.uk/map.htm.  The boundary of the town centre is in red.  Anything outside that boundary but within 300 metres of it is officially designated 'edge of centre'.  

In which case, as I pointed out in a recent post, the inescapable conclusion is that the only way a new supermarket can be built in Marple will be on an edge-of-centre site.  Howard mentions the rec, and that is certainly edge-of-centre, but no-one could seriously imagine a supermarket being built there.   So where could it be built?  
Dave,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to prove here. You seem to be having some kind of debate with yourself as to what defines town centre/edge of centre/boundaries. The definitions themselves don't really matter that much.

As far as Kirkland are concerned we can't be 'sure' of anything. Maybe they just didn't try hard enough to bring a supermarket to  Chadwick St and the Council became disillusioned with their failure to do so. Or maybe they just did exactly what they were supposed to do and received whatever they received for a job done.

It seems to me now that the Council are genuinely looking at bringing a Supermarket to that site and that now having taken everything in -house they will have total control over such aspects as the final choice retailer.

There is no 'inescapable conclusion' whatsoever to be had at this stage.

We will as usual all have to wait and see.        

alstan

« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
An excerpt from the agenda for this evening's SMBC Executive meeting:-

17.   Chadwick Street, Marple (EDR22)  PDF 36 KB
    View the background to item 17.
To consider a joint report of the Executive Councillors (Economic Development & Regeneration) and (Corporate, Customer & Community Services)

The report seeks to inform the Executive of the submission of a revised offer from Kirkland Developments Ltd (attached as a Confidential Appendix 1) and review options for progressing the proposed retail development scheme in Marple District Centre

(Note: this report contains information ‘not for publication’ contained in its appendices that have been circulated to executive councillors only)

The Executive is recommended to:

•         Decline the revised offer from Kirkland Developments Ltd and approve their reimbursement for appropriate ‘planning’ costs for obtaining planning permission on Chadwick Street in return for the assignment of any outputs produced by these costs.

•         Give delegated authority to the Corporate Director for Corporate and Support Services and the Corporate Director for Place Management and Regeneration, in conjunction with the Executive Councillors (Corporate, Customer & Community Services) and (Economic Development & Regeneration), to bring forward the delivery of a retail scheme on Chadwick Street, Marple utilising the Stockport Strategic Property Partnership.

Officer contact: George Perrin, 0161 474 4510, George.perrin@stockport.gov.uk
Additional documents:
    Chadwick Street, Marple Main Report , item 17.  PDF 36 KB
    Restricted enclosure 33

gazwhite

« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2014, 05:40:19 PM »

Dave

« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
But that's even less likely to become a supermarket, because it's not in the town centre, and as it's more than 300 metres beyond the town centre boundary it's not edge of centre either.  

Looks like the link in my previous post isn't working, so I'll try it again:  http://www.marplepartnership.org.uk/map.htm