A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Journal of Charles Bellairs  (Read 4349 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Charles Bellairs Journal
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
Further to the photographs added to the Tour yesterday, the page on the main web site featuring the article in "The Listener" has now been updated with details about the full Journal of Charles Bellairs. Some of you may remember discussing this back in 2003 and I've tagged the old posts to the bottom of this thread.

The Journal has now been published by Charles's great great grandson, Marmaduke Alderson, and copies can be purchased from him for £5 to cover the printing costs and postage.

There are details on how to obtain a copy from him on the page. It really is a fascinating read and will be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in the history of Marple Hall.

Use this link to go straight to the Marple Hall content on the main site: www.marple-uk.com/marplehall
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Journal of Charles Bellairs
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 11:38:49 PM »
Hi Water Rat,

Many thanks for the information you've provided here and also in your emails today. These could be very helpful in trying to track down the journal and I'm grateful that you've taken time out to do a little digging into this matter using the resources you have available - especially when you should have been working!

I'll try and follow up the leads you've given and will let you know if I have any success.

Thanks again  ;D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Water Rat

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 04:53:05 PM »
Hi

The article mentions that the author saw the diary at a Dr Alderson's house in Yorkshire.  There has been a book published recently by Marmaduke Alderson - the former Mayor of Bristol - showing the history of the family including the Bradshaw-Isherwood link.  It may be possible that he has some indication of the location of the journal.

The article appeared originally in the BBC Publication 'The Listener' on 25th Nov 1954 Vol L11 No 1343 pg 908 to 913. We have an original copy at this end of the wire although it is difficult to copy as it is in a bound volume.

As it says at the end of the article Charles married Anna Maria and ended up in Bolton Abbey with a large selection of children.

I really enjoyed the article as well.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 01:10:10 PM »
I'm pleased you enjoyed the new addition Denise. I agree, it's well written and brings the characters to life. There are some tantalising snippets too, like "the Squire leads Bellairs round, describing each room with terrifying accuracy" and "After further descriptions of various rooms in the Hall, and covert references to the vice of gambling" that lead me to believe we've only scratched the surface of what's in the journal. I do hope I can get my hands on it one day!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Deniseamb

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 01:01:28 PM »
Brilliant!  Hope you can find some more of this journal.  Really felt that the squire was brought to life by the writings of Bellairs.  Loved his comments about his wife.