A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Marple Hall consideration of Academy status  (Read 3604 times)

Victor M

Re: Marple Hall consideration of Academy status
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
One thing that seems to have been forgotten about this is that once a school becomes Academy Status then it becomes completely autonomous. They can do anything they want, including disposal of land, setting school entry criteria etc., without being responsible to any elected local representative, do we want another education body within Marple with all this power?

chicky

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
Apparently the vote was only 10 against 9 , but will only need a couple of yes people brought into the governing body for it to then to go ahead.

hollins

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
Marple Hall's Governors have apparently voted against going for Academy status.

Water Rat

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
Academy status has been successful for a number of schools - totally unconnected with any leading supermarkets - however, there needs to be serious consideration over the move out of LEA control.  Apart from curriculum matters this has included a number of issues for schools eg problems with buildings requiring renovation or emergency repairs (Cottingham High School as an example the weekend they gained Academy status having to seek County Council support).

Depending on the "new owners/sponsors" it remains to be seen how the ethos of the school will change.

As a bonus - linking into Lisa's school photo comments of the expense of school uniforms Academies often supply the first uniforms free!

... Bring back Reggie Hill and the Sixth Form?

Howard

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »
I feel that this needs moving into the Supermarket debate as the picture is becoming a little clearer why CAMSFC are doing what they are doing .

We can move it any time but currently it has nothing to do with supermarkets and everything to do with Marple Hall's roadmap for governance.
I beg to differ !

I'm sure that you will have your own opinion but sometimes there isn't a fight to fight.

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
I feel that this needs moving into the Supermarket debate as the picture is becoming a little clearer why CAMSFC are doing what they are doing .

We can move it any time but currently it has nothing to do with supermarkets and everything to do with Marple Hall's roadmap for governance.
I beg to differ !

Miss Marple

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »
I feel I am more possessed  than obsessed ! Thank you !   :D

Howard

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »

hollins

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »

It has nothing to do with sixth forms (Marple Hall has no room for any significant number of sixth formers). It is about the governance of an 11-16 high school.

The post was purely for information and has no bearing on supermarkets. Please don't be so obsessed!

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:36:44 PM »

hollins

Marple Hall consideration of Academy status
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
QUOTING MARPLE HALL GOVERNORS:

Academy Status
You will no doubt have seen news items over the last few months regarding Academy status which the Department of Education originally offered to schools graded as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted and is now being offered to all secondary schools. ‘Conversion Academies’ as these new academies are known are very different from the academies introduced by the previous government.
The Governing body at Marple Hall School met on Monday 17th October 2011 to discuss Academy status and I felt it important to let you know that, like many schools, we are holding further preliminary investigative meetings to see if we feel such a move may be in the best interests of our school and its stakeholders.
I should stress that at this stage the only decision we are working towards is whether to enter into a formal consultation period. If we did decide to move to consultation we would invite the views of parents and other stakeholders so they could also contribute to this important issue.
I will update this website with further information when this initial preliminary work has been undertaken.

Mark Bewes
Chair of Governors

It is from the Marple Hall website. It is supposed to be a letter to parents, but the likelihood of it making the transition from school bag to kitchen table is, on past experience, quite slim.

I'm entirely neutral on academies and, given the time frame involved, it probably won't affect my children. It has nothing to do with sixth forms(!) and lots to do with whether you believe Stockport MBC or the school itself should have control over its subsequent development.