Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?  (Read 27266 times)

Duke Fame

Re: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
I'm talking real world experience here. It is staggering the cost difference between stores for my own shopping needs. 20% is a conservative estimate. It's often due to the co-op being out of stock of various items, so you have to buy the next most expensive. They are also infuriatingly out of stock on special offers on many occasions. Asda and Tesco both have much better supply chains from what I've seen. This makes a big difference.
My real experience is to look at my coop purchases from 1/2 hr ago & looked up on tesco website for comparison. I'd look up bran flakes at £1.29 but I forgot to look.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
Try this if you want see how much you can save: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

Why not do a real comparison instead of speculating and using guesses as facts?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Henry_

How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Inflammatory post overwritten. Admin.

Not sure about that?

I will put it another way £17 a day to feed 5 seems excessive

To feed? To feed, wash, nappy etc . . .

Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Inflammatory post overwritten. Admin.

Not sure about that?

I will put it another way £17 a day to feed 5 seems excessive

Henry_

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
Duke Fame / Captain Smithy,

have either of you done a weekly shop for a family of 5 recently? I have many, many times and from that experience can predict that you could easily shave 20% or more off the cost of a co-op shop by going to Asda. If you spend £100 a week in the co-op . . . well (as they say in America) you do the math. That's not even accounting for the lack of availability at the co-op or the savings in fuel.

A 2 min online comparison. Beef mince, spagetti, tin toms = tesco & coop within 5p of each other
Bread - same price
Butter - coop 10p cheaper
Chicken breast - coop 50p cheaper
Bag salad - same
Tomatoes- 10p kg cheaper tesco

I'm struggling to see 20pc diff. I wonder if you make up the "math" and work back from your claimed figure

I'm talking real world experience here. It is staggering the cost difference between stores for my own shopping needs. 20% is a conservative estimate. It's often due to the co-op being out of stock of various items, so you have to buy the next most expensive. They are also infuriatingly out of stock on special offers on many occasions. Asda and Tesco both have much better supply chains from what I've seen. This makes a big difference.

Henry_

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
I will point out that your not forced to shop at the Co-op, As, obviously, you have the internet, so you can shop online. Theres also the various greengrocers and butchers around marple, which gives you more choice, better quality 9/10 times cheaper prices.

Yes but you need a lot of time to do that Smithy. If you have several kids you simply don't have that luxury. Just speaking from experience.

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »

have either of you done a weekly shop for a family of 5 recently? I have many, many times and from that experience can predict that you could easily shave 20% or more off the cost of a co-op shop by going to Asda. If you spend £100 a week in the co-op . . . well (as they say in America) you do the math. That's not even accounting for the lack of availability at the co-op or the savings in fuel.

A 2 min online comparison. Beef mince, spagetti, tin toms = tesco & coop within 5p of each other
Bread - same price
Butter - coop 10p cheaper
Chicken breast - coop 50p cheaper
Bag salad - same
Tomatoes- 10p kg cheaper tesco

I'm struggling to see 20pc diff. I wonder if you make up the "math" and work back from your claimed figure

Smithy166

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
I will point out that your not forced to shop at the Co-op, As, obviously, you have the internet, so you can shop online. Theres also the various greengrocers and butchers around marple, which gives you more choice, better quality 9/10 times cheaper prices.

Henry_

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
So if that sounds like a politician's answer, so be it. I nearly didn't write £1000s but then I thought about the comparison between the co-op and Asda and it does stack up.

Henry_

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

Marplenewbie

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Well over £1000? Were in gods name did you pull that number from? After all, you did word it as if it were FACT.
It is my personal opinion that no family could save "well over £1000" from shopping at a store on the hibbert lane site. Infact i'll be supprised if anyone saves over £200.

I don't believe that shopping at Tesco or Asda does save any money because these places use so called supermarket psychology, ensuring that people almost invariably end up spending more than they had originally intended.

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
Well over £1000? Were in gods name did you pull that number from? After all, you did word it as if it were FACT.
It is my personal opinion that no family could save "well over £1000" from shopping at a store on the hibbert lane site. Infact i'll be supprised if anyone saves over £200.

Sounds like the maths Ed Miliband used to say the average family would be £5000 pa worse off due to the VAT increase. This were only true is an average family bought a new Maybach every year, makes us wonder how the country ended up in a mess.

Smithy166

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »
I can indeed envisage a large family in Marple saving well over £1000 a year compared to using the co-op. Net traffic effects should also account for the parents of large families being forced to drive out and back again currently, and this would happen a lot less with an adequately sized store in our town.

On what basis? Co-op prices must be on par with say Tesco & Sainsbury, 2-3% higher than Moggy's 5% higher than Nettos. So, to mak £1000 saving a family would have to spend £20,000 on groceries a year. I'd suggest only the richest of families could afford to do that and they'd have to be catholics.

jethroh65

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »

How many people are going to save thousands of pounds a year by having a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane ?

People who walk & do all their weekly shopping at the Co-op would make a big saving I agree.

Also how many dedicate Tesco Club Card or Sainsbury’s Nectar Card Holders would suddenly switch their
weekly shop to Asda ?

I personally would happily forego the £2 a week saving, rather than have the increased traffic and to
stop the detrimental effect it would have on the centre of Marple.

But I suppose it all depends what your priorities are in Life !!!!

I feel that those that would save money are the ones who need the money the most ie.low income. Perhaps lone parents in particular. I shop at one of the 'big 4' online (not Asda) but I would change to Asda if it was local, I only use the one I do as it's online delivery is better in my experience. I also would love to be able to buy Asda clothes locally. I do use local shops alot too and that wouldn't change. We would probably use the Co-op less but that is about it. I know it is more ethical but we do plenty of other ethical things.

I would be interested in whether the traffic would be hugely increased or if the reduced people going out of marple and large number of Tesco/asda delivery vans always about would make it the same as it is now.

I also worry about this being a 'class war' as someone mentioned on another post. It's abit uncomfortable in many ways reading some posts and wondering what was deleted! I would be probably more on the against side (I'm not actually on either 'side' as such) if they were more sympathetic to those on a low income such as they realise it would be great for young families etc and not just get the bus, move out of Marple etc. I myself am on the fence because although it is alright for me, having the choice to do shopping elsewhere, I can still empaphise with those who have less choice and on low income, i feel alot of people cannot or will not do that.

JMC
Not sure how my comments relate to 'class' ?

In my previous post I asked how many people would save thousands of pounds, but stated that some people would save money. How does this relate to class ?

I have a tight budget for shopping at present and at the moment I have a car, but in the past I have not had the use of  car to do my weekly shopping.
Yes the Co-op was and still is a nightmare for prices, but I have managed and adjusted to suit my shopping situation at the time, in my opinion a new supermarket is not a necessity but a convenience.

A new supermarket would be more convenient and help some people save money how many and how much is questionable!
But for the detrimental effect it would cause in my opinion, it's not worth it.

I have posted a comment and the main Tesco/ASDA thread about my opinion of how the traffic would be altered!