Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Francis Brindley and the Brindleys of Marple  (Read 3194 times)

Brindley

Re: Francis Brindley and the Brindleys of Marple
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
I forgot to mention in the main article that when Steam Mills on the Macclesfield canal exploded in 1881, that fortunately it was at night and the mill was not full of workers and so only one man was killed. Still a tragedy but not what may have been.
The explosion was front page news in the milling press of the day, according to Tony Bonson (The Midland Wind and Water Mills Group). The mill was also said to be one of the best organised in the United Kingdom, hopefully a legacy of the Swanwicks of Macclesfield and the Brindley's of Marple.

My login is Henrietta

Re: Francis Brindley and the Brindleys of Marple
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
Very interesting article. I had always thought that Brindley Avenue was named for the canal builder Brindley but obviously I was mistaken. We have our own Brindleys

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Francis Brindley and the Brindleys of Marple
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
I'm delighted to have added to the main web site a family history article written by Noel Brindley about his descendant Francis Brindley and the Marple Brindleys. Noel has also created a brilliant image of how the Mineral Mill and Bleak House must have looked when Francis Brindley ran the Mineral Mill. I found it a very interesting tale and I hope others will too.

It is currently featured as the latest link on the home page at: www.marple-uk.com/Marple.htm

It can also be found using the heritage stories link: www.marple-uk.com/heritage

I would welcome more contributions like this and if you have an interesting story to tell please get in touch.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website