RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Mystery Photograph (Cross Gates Farmhouse)  (Read 7738 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Mystery Photograph (Cross Gates Farmhouse)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 07:08:29 AM »
Ray went to Cross Gates Farmhouse this week to take some better photos (the earlier one was by his son using a mobile phone) and was lucky enough to be invited inside by the owner to see some old pictures of the house before it was renovated. These are now on the tour with the others:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-29
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Mystery Photograph
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »
I've merged the two mystery photo topics because amazingly they were the same house photographed from different angles!

Determined detective Ray Noble is the man who resolved this case and his present day photogragh of Cross Gates Farmhouse is attached to this post.

Well done Ray! Case closed  :)

The above image is the house viewed from the right of this picture. And compare Ray's photo to the one in the very first post of this merged thread.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

Re: Another Mystery Photograph
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
How about Strines Road with Longhurst Lane in the background?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
I can see what you mean Sooty2 but with the advantage of being able to zoom in on the larger version I scanned I can see that it's a large lintel, not a canopy. The original window has been replaced and bricked up above the lintel. What looks like it might be ironmongery is just the edge of the brickwork. Looks like there are loads of plants in the window. I'll see if I can wring any more detail out of it later at even higher res.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
Don't know where it is, but it looks like a shop. It looks like it has a canopy over the window. there seems to be some iron work on the right hand side that probably supported the canopy.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Another Mystery Photograph
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
One of the photos recently uploaded to the Tour from Marple Local History Society's Archives was labelled on the back "Marsland Fold, off Dale Road". Marsland Fold was where Marsland Road is today, off Walton Drive / Dale Road.

It has been pointed out to me that the hills in the background are far too steep for that area and I'm inclined to agree, which means the photo must be wrongly labelled.

Does anyone recognise this building? The hills suggest it might be up on Cobden Edge or similar:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-4522
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
Back to the drawing board - it isn't Brydges Farm, although certain aspects do look very similar. Perhaps that's why I thought I recognised it. Anymore thoughts?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
I think you might be right Andy. It's been bugging me that it looks so familiar. I live at the opposite end of Brydges Road so pass the front of it every day. I'll have a peek on the way home this evening unless someone local beats me to it!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andy+kirsty

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
It seems to have a plastic soil stack so the picture cant be all that old.

For some reason it is making me think of the Brydges farm building on Buxton Lane/ Brydges Rd. But I dont think it is. 

A

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Mystery Photograph (Cross Gates Farmhouse)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
The attached photograph has been sent by Marple Local History Society with a request for help in identifying the location. It has been suggested that it's in Hawk Green but so far unconfirmed. It does look like the back of a house, so perhaps it is quite well known but not from this side. Can you help?

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website