A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: New shop at Rose Hill  (Read 93838 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: New shop at Rose Hill
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
still VERY uncomfortable with ALL this HEARSAY..
but..
1. tarmac.. if you replace tarmac its always different than the stuff next to it.. I was told he'd paid for it so?? if i had a shared drive and neighbour didn't share cost i'd just do my own bit!
2. questions outside... what questions?  did anyone hear specifically what was being asked?  was it more than one customer? if he was asking "uncomfortable" questions what exactly were they...
3. obstructing?  Xmas day?  wasn't doing much shopping as it was Christmas day! odd time to decide to obstruct ..not tremendously effective!!

i just dont think this is the place to be talking about issues relating to individuals.. it will be damaging to BOTH businesses.

Duke Fame

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »
I do however live a 10 min walk away and if it is raining that is the nearest place to drive to.  I did have the misfortune to drive one day and park outside Spar and use Premier when Mel was around and I wont tell you what he said to me but it was not nice and as you can guess I have never used Spar since.

If the land is his he may very well have a legal right to stop people crossing or parking on it unless there is some sort of covenant.

Of course, under the Public Order Act 1986 it is an offence "for a person to use threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour..... within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby". This covers, I think, the use of language that might be flippantly described as "anglo-saxon".

• display any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting.

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

No, if the propeties share an access, there will certainly be a right of both properties to be allowed access to their property.

Let's be realistoc, it's also a matter of coutesy.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
I do however live a 10 min walk away and if it is raining that is the nearest place to drive to.  I did have the misfortune to drive one day and park outside Spar and use Premier when Mel was around and I wont tell you what he said to me but it was not nice and as you can guess I have never used Spar since.

If the land is his he may very well have a legal right to stop people crossing or parking on it unless there is some sort of covenant.

Of course, under the Public Order Act 1986 it is an offence "for a person to use threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour..... within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby". This covers, I think, the use of language that might be flippantly described as "anglo-saxon".

• display any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting.

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Duke Fame

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
I can assure you that I don't own or work at Premier! I do however live a 10 min walk away and if it is raining that is the nearest place to drive to.  I did have the misfortune to drive one day and park outside Spar and use Premier when Mel was around and I wont tell you what he said to me but it was not nice and as you can guess I have never used Spar since.

I am sure I was not the only person who saw Mel block the access to Premier on Christmas Day, I went into Premier to buy something and asked them what was going on and all they said was "We could complain but we don't want any trouble" which seems to be their approach.  And if you don't believe me then try parking on Spar land and use Premier yourself while Mel is around and see what happens.  It seems to me that Spar gets the most business and many more people park outside Premier and use Spar but you don't hear Premier complaining about that.
Fair enough, I've not seen it myself.

I have heard some conversations in Spar from customers about Premier which haven't been nice but never really heard the Spar staff join in with what was a little racist talk. I must say, I put that down to small town mentality.

Premier have clearly been aggressive in their competition, the fact they turned up on the doorstep of the Spar and the loss leaders is aimed at winning the battle to get rid of the Spar. They have done the same in Adswood for instance managing to close the California wines and left the lad who’s run the newsagent there at the end of his tether. That said, is it any worse than what Tesco’s do to it’s competition?

Cripes

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »
It seems to me that Spar gets the most business and many more people park outside Premier and use Spar but you don't hear Premier complaining about that.

If its true that he blocked access, that is fair comment.

marplex

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
I can assure you that I don't own or work at Premier! I do however live a 10 min walk away and if it is raining that is the nearest place to drive to.  I did have the misfortune to drive one day and park outside Spar and use Premier when Mel was around and I wont tell you what he said to me but it was not nice and as you can guess I have never used Spar since.

I am sure I was not the only person who saw Mel block the access to Premier on Christmas Day, I went into Premier to buy something and asked them what was going on and all they said was "We could complain but we don't want any trouble" which seems to be their approach.  And if you don't believe me then try parking on Spar land and use Premier yourself while Mel is around and see what happens.  It seems to me that Spar gets the most business and many more people park outside Premier and use Spar but you don't hear Premier complaining about that.

Duke Fame

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
That approach is too confrontational, there are more subtle ways to find out what his customer wants. He's hardly going to get an honest answer face to face, there are less obvious way to be rude, unsolicited questions being one of them.

Has anyone seen this in action, no offence to Marplex but there is a suspicion of an undisclosed interest in the issue.

IF the entrance was blocked, there is a legal issue as the Premier premises must be allowed access.

I've popped in a few times to the Spar, supporting it on hte basis of being there first.

Cripes

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
That approach is too confrontational, there are more subtle ways to find out what his customer wants. He's hardly going to get an honest answer face to face, there are less obvious way to be rude, unsolicited questions being one of them.

Rachael

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
I don't agree that he is bullying people .

He wants his business to succeed , unless he knows why people would rather  go in the other shop , then how can how can he improve in giving his customers what they want . ... has he actually been rude to people  when they have gone next door .. I have not heard a single thing to say he has ?

It would be so easy for him to come and give his opinion on this website, but I think a dignified silence is probably working wonders , because Marple x , if what you say is FACT , is it  because you run the premier shop,  or work there ..... maybe ?

Chinese whispers are a terrible thing :(

Cripes

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
That may become his undoing then, I shop there too, it's one thing offering support but quite another when you are bullied/shamed into it.

tina

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
yes I went down the other night and he was questioning people outside... I shop in the spar and like the couple but do feel uncomfortable when I see him do that. It's about peoples freedom of Choice at the end of the day.

Cripes

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
Does he still do that? I've not seen him for ages?

tina

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »
I have never heard of  a problem before with the car parking with these 2 shops, when it was the post office and Threshers nothing was ever said who's land it was etc... I do feel uncomfortable some days when the owner of the spar is stood outside questioning people as to why they shop in the premier.
The new tarmac looks like  'this is my land keep off if your going in there'

marplex

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »
I am only stating the facts. It most certainly is not a unsubstantiated accusation, Fact, Mel did block off access to Premier by parking his car and van between the two on Christmas Day. Fact Mel is very angry and is having rants at Premier staff and their customers saying they are not allowed access to Premier car park. 

I think this is a big issue for Premier customers who will not be allowed parking access and certainly a bigger issue that wanting to know what my views are on other aspects of Marple life!

I don't know what the legal issues are because it is Mel's private land that they have to cross. But then the council have built the crossing in front of Premier which is a bit like the council putting a crossing in front of your drive.  Perhaps all is fair in love and war, but then again the Premier car park is far bigger and I have seen many people park there and go into Spar so perhaps Mel could be shooting himself in the foot!!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 11:45:20 AM »
And I am still interested in finding out if you have a view on anything else that is happening in Marple? Now 4 posts on Marple forum all in this topic!!

I really don't care about any real, imagined or claimed pettiness that is going on or not going on between the 2 businesses but this is NOT the place to publicise unsubstantiated accusations!