Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Marple Childrens Orthopaedic Hospital  (Read 26928 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Childrens Orthopaedic Hospital
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »
Mary Dovey (nee Wallace) - seen 2nd right in this photo receiving a donation of sweets on behalf of MCOH - spent 7 months in 1957 as a Pre-Nursing Student at Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital (Treetops) before moving to Cardiff and SRN training. Mary has shared several images of herself with patients and other staff at the hospital and on a trip to Blackpool during her stay, which have been uploaded to the Marple Children's Orthopaedic Hospital album on the Marple Website Virtual History Tour this morning:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-56

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Rusty

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »
I was a patient in Marple Dale hospital in 1968, my name then was Mary Hyde, I had t.b. in my knee, looking at all the pictures in brought back some memories, both happy and sad.  

I remember mr. Wheble who was the surgeon I was under and and also went to see him in Ashton hospital when I was discharged from Marple, I was in Marple six months and then was in Ashton for another six months and was under the care of mr. Wheble until he retired.

I would love to hear from anybody who was there at the same time either patients or staff.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »
Dear Henrietta, There was a Celia in Marrple whhen I went in. I think it may have been her. I think she had TB hip but she was only in for 3 months for awhile she was in the next bed to me. I was a bit upset whwn she was discharged because I had to stay in so much longer. It's all water under the bridge now but well done for the visiting that you did. Liz
She had polio and when she came back to school she had a caliper for a while
Lz, I heard today that Celia died 3 years ago after a period of illness. She would have been about 59

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Thank you - just about to light the BBQ!

I can't see your personal messages, or anyone else's. I can tell you that George last logged in to the site on March 10th and if you're message was sent before that he should have seen it. If in doubt I would send again.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

liz appleby

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Dear Mark, If you look on my messages, you will see thatGeorgeWm is amember. Lives in Pensyllvania and has contacted me through the Web Site.I have tried to message back to him but not sure if it went. He was trying to find someone who had been in the Marple Sanitorium, when he first contactedme. We have become friends since.Itried to send amessage back but not sure if it went. Best wishes to you enjoy the sunshine Liz

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Dear Mark, Did GeorgeWm get my email. I,m not sure. Can,t get right punctuayion on comp. Please let me know because it took me so long to do it. Someone left the cake out in the rain

Sorry Liz, I'm not sure I understand your message - who is George Wm? And why would I know if he'd got you email? I've had a look through the other topics and can't see anything that relates to this.

Mark
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

liz appleby

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
Dear Mark, Did GeorgeWm get my email. I,m not sure. Can,t get right punctuayion on comp. Please let me know because it took me so long to do it. Someone left the cake out in the rain

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
Welcome Sue!

You have probably found it already but just in case you haven't, here's a link to the Treetops album on the Virtual Tour: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=56
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sue149

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
i was in marple hospital in the early 60s i remember a nurse moon i think she was called i was under a doctor called dr weeble or something like that not sure if he was the doctor i saw at ashton hospital it would be great to hear old stories.i remember doing a show and we did a poem about a naughty girl i was the girl i remember having to throw a teddy at some one i was on a frame so never came out of bed for a long time

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
Dear Henrietta, There was a Celia in Marrple whhen I went in. I think it may have been her. I think she had TB hip but she was only in for 3 months for awhile she was in the next bed to me. I was a bit upset whwn she was discharged because I had to stay in so much longer. It's all water under the bridge now but well done for the visiting that you did. Liz
She had polio and when she came back to school she had a caliper for a while

liz appleby

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
Dear Mark, I rememember Miss Swinfinn. She was an auxiliary nurse and we called her Swinny. This was in the mid 50s. Also Matron Howie used to be asister on the boys ward. Thanks for all the tireless work and memories. Liz

liz appleby

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
For those of you who monitor this topic form changes, just to let you know that we have a couple of new pictures of staff at the hospital: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-56
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
I am trying to find anyone who had contacts or knows anything about the Marple Childrens Orthopaedic Hospital in Dale Road Marple, also anyone who would know a Jackie who was in Nab Top Sanitorium
Don't know whether this is interesting to anyone but here goes.

In the late 1950s the Childrens Orthopaedic took on the treatment of children affected by the Thalidomide debacle.

My grandmother was friendly with the then Matron (I can't remember her name but it wasn't Matron Parkinson. She may have been Welsh as IIRC she later retired to somewhere near Denbigh in N. Wales.) and I used to be roped in to visit children who didn't have visitors. I would have been about 9 or 10 when I used to visit a toddler (again, I can't remember his name) who had hands and feet but no arms and legs. He was lovely little boy with a shock of strawberry blonde hair and fat rosy cheeks. His Mother had apparently abandoned him - couldn't cope with the situation I suppose. I've often wondered what became of him. He'd be in his 50s now.

The Orthopaedic also took on rehab for children who had contracted polio in the epidemic in the mid 1950s and I remember visiting a class mate, Celia Fenton (?) there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
I've now obtained permission from Ken Chaisty to add his letter to Hilary Atkinson, Chair of Marple Local History Society, to the main web site. It is now part of the Heritage articles page and at the moment is the new main feature on the home page: www.marple-uk.com/Marple.htm
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website