Updates and Announcements > News and Announcements

ARCHIVING OF MARPLE COMMUNITY FORUM

<< < (2/3) > >>

Howard:
I'm also sad to see the forum wrapping up; it really has been useful on a number of key local topics over the years. Most traffic does seem to have moved to Facebook but I deleted my account years ago and I tend to rely on my wife to provide me with edited highlights from the couple of local groups. From what I've heard they seem to consist of people moaning about the usual, adverts for hair/nails, or yoof-spotting. There really doesn't seem to be any other option either; Nextdoor is even more toxic than Facebook and the other social media platforms aren't suited to local news.

Local newspapers were supposed to have morphed into "hyperlocal" sources but we've all seen that people would rather have "free" than pay for properly sourced local news. On that point, the MEN is now part of the Reach plc group and is identical to all the other former local newspapers...can I recommend people to subscribe to https://manchestermill.co.uk/ which is a quality long-form journalism project replacing much of what the MEN used to do.

Anyway, it has been and still is a pleasure to be involved in the forum. I've mentioned to Mark a couple of places where the content could go (e.g., archive.org and the Wayback Machine). Whatever happens, it's been a super-useful resource.

So long, and thanks for all the fish...

tonyjones:
Like the previous correspondents I have always found this forum very informative, even if they did wander off topic sometimes !
Facebook and the like are too full of rubbish to be taken seriously. From what I have seen they are frequented by people with nothing better to do than post garbage.
Over the years Mark (&co) have done a wonderful job managing the forum and it will be sadly missed.

Cyberman:
I'm very sorry to see it go too - many thanks to those who've kept it going. I intensely dislike Facebook - I occasionally look at the Marple Community Hub page but it's too full of ads for full body tans and doggy manicures for my liking. And if you're looking for something specific it's a hopeless task. I like the searchability of this old-fashioned website. I will miss the lively discussions like the College/Supermarket drama, and the thing that happened in 2016 - I forget what. Might even have to revert to IRL discussions at the pub.

Condate:
Like so many people, I don't use Facebook or the like. This forum has been an invaluable resource and its closure is a major blow to Marple. I am very sorry to see the end of it. Marple is a much poorer place without it. Like other people, I thank you for the work put in to keep it going for so long.

andy+kirsty:
This is a shame but inevitable.

I've lost many hours on here engaging in good humoured arguments about the local area - Miss Marple and Dan Bank, Duke Fame and traffic / the poor / Brexit, The Railway smoking shelter are more memorable highlights - I know there are many others that I have forgotten about.

I suppose I'll add this to the long list of pubs that we've lost over the past few years, all of which chronicle the changing nature of Marple and the community.

Thanks for all the work Mark and Howard.

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version