Updates and Announcements > News and Announcements

ARCHIVING OF MARPLE COMMUNITY FORUM

<< < (3/3)

ROTHERS:
There is nothing stopping anyone from starting a new one ? ProBoards seems to be an easy one to setup.
Personally, i have never used Facewipe, and have no intentions to do so.

wheels:
I'm with Andrew and not. For so long this was the quick and easy go to place to find out what was going on and for a bit of local controversy.  There is nothing quick and easy about Facebook as it tries to take over our lives.

Who can direct me to the best Facebook group to get my morning  Marple news fix.

Many many thanks Mark. This is a sad day.

nbt:
Like Andrewm I avoid Facebook wherever possible and it seems s shame that it's so prevalent. I've no intention of goign back there so any businesses who exclusively use it to advertise or promote are missing a potential market - how big that market is, well that's another question

Thanks for everything Mark, this place has been useful over the years but I've definitely seen a change in recent years

andrewbowden:
This is shame but it's been obvious something wasn't right. At its best this has been a great place to get information, recommendations and more.  As someone who moved to the area six years ago and knew nothing locally, that was invaluable.  It was good whilst it was there

As someone who avoids Facebook like the plague for privacy (and sanity) concerns and who deleted his Facebook account a long time ago, I personally find it rather sad that most local groups end up there, with no facility or even thought for those that don't use it.  It's not a Marple issue - it's everywhere.  I am genuinely amazed at how many businesses will put information about their services on Facebook on pages that can't be seen without an account!  Even when they have their own website!  But what can we do?  Sadly a critical mass of people are over there. 

And on that note, farewell then!  And thanks for the forum!

admin:
Archiving of Marple Community Forum has begun

This message is to let the few people who still visit know that the process of archiving the Marple Website Community Forum has begun.

I'm not sure how long this will take, I'll do it as and when I have a bit of time, and I'm not completely sure how it will look when it's finished. I may continue to use the Calendar for events and certain sections for announcements about the main web site and the Virtual History Tour. It is clear that the forum in its present form has reached the end of its useful life, loosing its place as the focal point of on-line activity to Facebook Groups and other social media platforms. There is a lot of interesting stuff here, and a lot of dross too. I will be keeping as much of the former as possible but getting rid of the latter.

I will also be progressively deleting most of the registered user accounts on here in order to ensure compliance with GDPR. This process has started with the removal of accounts that haven't been used for the longest and those who have never posted.

Those of you who do still log-in from time-to-time are welcome to reply to this thread with your thoughts and suggestions about this process, or to reminisce if you wish.

Anyone eager to retain their account here, please reply or send me a PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version