Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Rose Hill/Marple train tickets  (Read 825 times)

Howard

Re: Rose Hill/Marple train tickets
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:13:09 AM »
Just for laughs I measured the distance from Romiley to Marple (2.64km) and Romiley to Rose Hill (3.24km). You could always offer to pay for the extra 600 metres if you get off at Rose Hill!

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:55:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  This is reassuring although it would be just my luck to come across some jobsworth on trying it  :-\

Given the practice on the ground, it does feel like this should just be made a proper arrangement though.

hollins

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 10:11:53 PM »
I go in to Manchester from Marple (as it's slightly quicker) but I come back at various times and just take whichever of the Marple/Rose Hill trains comes first. It has never been queried, even by the occasional ticket inspectors at the stations. They do all pass through Romiley, after all.

But, sadly, I have fallen asleep on the Marple train and ended up in New Mills. (Could have been worse: some of the trains go to Sheffield!). Too embarassed to ring my wife, so ended up with an hour's walk back along the canal.

The new trains are much more comfortable (and the WiFi is great!), but they are beginning to get crowded so it will be nice to have the remaining services reinstated.

Cyberman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »
I commute into Manchester regularly - from Marple early in the morning, but back to Rose Hill because the trains are less busy. Also if I fall asleep I don't end up in New Mills. Never had a problem, although staff often check that I know what train I'm on.

Howard

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 03:41:37 PM »
I've lived in Marple for pretty much all my live and in 40+ years of traveling into Manchester and back I've never had anyone question whether my ticket is for Marple or Rose Hill. Perhaps, technically, it may not be allowed but I can't imagine anyone cares in the slightest. There would have to be a jobsworth of the highest order to enforce it.

andrewbowden

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 11:53:33 AM »
Actually I see from May the Marple evening peak service that's currently missing does get restored.  But Rose Hill is still screwed.

andrewbowden

Rose Hill/Marple train tickets
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:40:14 AM »
Just wondering something.  I've seen it said that tickets tend to be interchangeable for Marple and Rose Hill - which makes sense given they're close by, serving the same time. But there's no easement in the train fare manual meaning it's not officially allowed.

So I'm wondering whether people do this in practise and if so, if the train staff generally allow it.

Pre-Covid cuts I always would get a train to/from the same station, but realised today that the evening rush hour train I wanted to get back to Marple no longer exists(!) - trains run every half hour until 5pm then it skips one.  But there is one to Rose Hill.  And if that's going to be a long term thing (which seems pretty guaranteed right now), then that's a right pain in backside.