Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Candidates' views on Clean Air Zone Charging  (Read 4866 times)

GM

Re: Candidates' views on Clean Air Zone Charging
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »
I'll have to have a look into that.
Seems a little weird but it might help break up the current three way tag team stagnation arrangement.

Obviously I don't hold much hope, especially if it means even more spending on local elections. And if the stalemate within the council doesn't change.

Will L

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2022, 05:02:41 PM »
Does that include the ones just elected ?.

Yes, the wards have been redrawn for the first time since 2004. Both North and South are the same, but new wards means all sitting councillors stand for election once again throughout the entire council.

Whomever gets the most votes get a four year term, second a 3 year term and third a 1 year term off the top of my head for each ward.

GM

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »
Does that include the ones just elected ?.

Will L

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2022, 04:21:59 PM »
Well to beat Shan we would need 2299 from the 2021 results, so that's another 2297 or 2296 if you atleast voted for yourself!.

Its an all out next year.

All councillors in Stockport are up and its three votes for every elector.

GM

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »
Well to beat Shan we would need 2299 from the 2021 results, so that's another 2297 or 2296 if you atleast voted for yourself!.

jimblob

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 08:25:52 AM »
Well, as far as I am concerned, to get my vote a candidate would need to

Reject the clean air zone
Reject all new schemes for changes to roads; e.g. one way systems or any form of "traffic calming" or restrictions.
Reject most if not all schemes for house building
Support the removal of all speed humps; especially those on Windlehurst road.

I don't think any will.

Regrettably, we will get a party candidate elected, which I continue to maintain is fundamentally undemocratic.
Can I vote for you @Condate

Condate

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2022, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, as far as I am concerned, to get my vote a candidate would need to

Reject the clean air zone
Reject all new schemes for changes to roads; e.g. one way systems or any form of "traffic calming" or restrictions.
Reject most if not all schemes for house building
Support the removal of all speed humps; especially those on Windlehurst road.

I don't think any will.

Regrettably, we will get a party candidate elected, which I continue to maintain is fundamentally undemocratic.

GM

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
Must be all those tail backs at milking time!.

And on that note, I'm here all week try the veal.

Dave

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
If you think the Clean Air Zone is unnecsssary, can I suggest you check your addresss here

https://www.addresspollution.org/

I've done that - it's a joke! We live on an unadopted road some way from any significant traffic, and surrounded by fields, and yet it says we have 'significant air pollution'!  Maybe it's the cows at the bottom of the garden? 

As we know, this is the reality:  https://mappinggm.org.uk/clean-air-plan/#os_maps_light/10/53.4770/-2.2723

It shows that there are pollution 'hotspots' in GM, marked on the map in red for serious excess pollution and orange for moderate excess pollution.  As you see, the only marks within Marple, which are orange, are on the short stretch of road between the bottom of Dan Bank and Seventeen Windows, and on a bit of the A6 at High Lane.  Otherwise there is no problem in or around Marple.

There are clean air zones being introduced in towns and cities across the UK, but in other places they are being set up in a targeted way, focusing on city centres where the pollution is most serious. But here in GM, for some weird reason, the decision has been taken to introduce a scheme covering the entire 500 square miles of Greater Manchester!  It's crazy and its unnecessary. 

GM

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2022, 11:26:37 AM »
Would that atleast save humanity from the scourge of unflattering and sweaty lycra ?.

Howard

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2022, 11:12:18 AM »
On the plus side if it’s Amish, doesn’t that mean no bicycles?.

It depends https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-ride-bicycles/

GM

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
On the plus side if it’s Amish, doesn’t that mean no bicycles?.

jimblob

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 10:05:25 AM »
So in your idealised world we are all forced to return to the 1900s, just because of a few traffic jams.
Next you’ll be suggesting we run around destroying all technologies in some modern era Luddite rebellion!.
Marple, the new home of the Amish! although...
I blame the invention of the wheel @wheels / @GM  ... it's been downhill ever since!

GM

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 09:58:35 PM »
So in your idealised world we are all forced to return to the 1900s, just because of a few traffic jams.
Next you’ll be suggesting we run around destroying all technologies in some modern era Luddite rebellion!.

wheels

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 09:08:24 PM »
In all honesty is that really what you want our world to look like wheels?.

Well it's certainly better than how our roads look so yes. Surely that's better than what we have now.