Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Climate Action Now (CAN) Fund  (Read 1993 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Climate Action Now (CAN) Fund
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
That's not how the linked article reads, especially as it mentions external funding a number of times!.

We're verging off topic now, but the piece refers to funding for the full scheme.  Note:

In the event that the Council is not able to take advantage of external funding opportunities in the near future, a ‘core scheme’ is also under development. Such a scheme would provide a replacement leisure facility (including pool, gym and studio facilities) and a replacement library with some flexible community space.

GM

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 01:57:23 PM »
That's not how the linked article reads, especially as it mentions external funding a number of times!.

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 01:25:22 PM »
We were unsuccessful with the bid we submitted- I think the council will be submitting another bid.

Doesn't mean there's no money.  Simply means the bid to get some money from one particular source was not successful. 

GM

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »
You were correct, they said they had failed to get money from government.
The usual why pay for it out of the council coffers if the government can pay instead.

There was a vague update, https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/marple-leisure-and-community-hub-update-march-2022

Which doesn't really clarify the financial situation, it just says in due course.

Razzle24

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 12:03:38 PM »
Who says there isn't money for a swimming pool?  Council haven't said that from what I have seen.

We were unsuccessful with the bid we submitted- I think the council will be submitting another bid.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 11:20:02 PM »
I am shocked by this amount being spent - and I feel it is very wasteful of Stockport Council to do this.

It also disappoints me that there is this amount of money available for seeds and plants etc but nothing available for the swimming pool that we desperately need!

Who says there isn't money for a swimming pool?  Council haven't said that from what I have seen. 

GM

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 05:16:39 PM »
If you want a real laugh, all the usual buzz words and look at us rhetoric. Whilst we are the ones paying for the fancy works.

https://labourlist.org/2022/04/come-visit-us-in-stockport-and-see-what-labour-in-government-can-achieve/

Razzle24

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 04:35:14 PM »
So, that's 21 wards in Stockport with up to £9000 each

So they are spending 189k on what I shall politely call green washing.

I am shocked by this amount being spent - and I feel it is very wasteful of Stockport Council to do this.

It also disappoints me that there is this amount of money available for seeds and plants etc but nothing available for the swimming pool that we desperately need!

GM

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »
Exactly, if you want to be even more scared about how much electricity they're using.

Those totals don't include the Power Factor, which all LEDs can be shockingly inefficient especially consumer ones 0.5 at best and you do get charged for this by the electric meter.

Still cheaper than incandescent I will add, but commercial Street lamps should be 0.9.

jimblob

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 03:43:25 PM »
helps reduce our use of energy too, given it's in such short supply at the moment and costs the earth (apparently, quite literally!), surely a no brainer! with the savings we could buy enough flower boxes for every resident of Stockport  :)

GM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 03:31:28 PM »
Using a little more Google.

Shropshire council say 35-150w depending on location!.

33000 x 35 = 1,155,000 (1.15 Megawatts)
33000 x 150 = 4,950,000 (4.95 Megawatts)

GM

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 03:13:22 PM »
I would be a bit more lenient if they weren't trying to green wash spending yet more money.

Surely if they wanted to cut energy usage they would ask us precisely that question instead of planting grass which does not sequester or reduce global co2.

Using Stockports own figures 33000 street lights, turning most of them off would say a absolute fortune as each must be over 150w.

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/led-streetlights

jimblob

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:04 PM »

Yeup...
whilst at the same time spending several million on things that will worsen air pollution but be disguised as "encourgaing us to cycle, walk, or use (woefully inadequate) public transport"

GM

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 12:57:17 PM »

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 06:24:51 PM »
Do we know what the overall budget is for this project?

Although it’s a good idea - it’s being done against a backdrop of council tax increasing and services being cut, plus wasted money on speed bumps that are not environmentally friendly. (Stockport Council sends out very mixed messages on it stance on reducing air quality!)

Steve - do you think at this moment in time it is a good use of taxpayers money?

The budget is up to £9000 per ward as per what we were told a couple of Months ago.

Yes I do think it is a good idea and I am glad you think so too. We have had a climate emergency declared recently so if our community are able to try and help in some way then I am fully supportive. Small steps maybe but every little could help so I feel it is worth the effort. I also feel it is good that schools and community groups are able to join in with the project, taking ownership of such an important matter and for some at a young age can only (in my view) be a good thing for the future.

Kind regards

Steve