A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: River Goyt, sewage dumping approved by MP  (Read 2032 times)

amazon

Re: River Goyt, sewage dumping approved by MP
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »
Sewage and fresh water are separate, the sewage goes to the treatment works down Bongs road. I don't know if this treatment works covers any other area except Marple because I don't know of any other treatment works nearby.
They used to be one in Compstall in fields Behind  what was the George pub .it was only a small one it may have only been a pumping station .

the rover

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 06:41:59 AM »
The only long term solution would be to separate sewage and surface run off water.

Which regardless of privatisation will never happen as it literally require the replacement of all infrastructure.

Temporary storage would be a short term solution to act as a buffer, but you talking of monstrous tanks the size of Marple high Street
Sewage and fresh water are separate, the sewage goes to the treatment works down Bongs road. I don't know if this treatment works covers any other area except Marple because I don't know of any other treatment works nearby.

tonyjones

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 06:48:43 PM »
Years ago it was the case that surface water and sewage were separate but probably to cut costs they have been combined.
A few years ago the old surface water drain on Stockport Road was renewed between the Texaco garage and Rose Hill and ends up towards Dan Bank.

GM

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 12:46:15 PM »
The only long term solution would be to separate sewage and surface run off water.

Which regardless of privatisation will never happen as it literally require the replacement of all infrastructure.

Temporary storage would be a short term solution to act as a buffer, but you talking of monstrous tanks the size of Marple high Street

sgk

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 12:24:40 PM »
So what's your solution?.

All I can sense is plenty of rhetoric and environmental waffle but ZERO actual solutions from you.
I'm no expert, just a concerned constituent, but I did wonder if any of the £57bn made in profit since privatised could fund some infrastructure improvement.

Ref : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/01/england-privatised-water-firms-dividends-shareholders
Related thread : https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1456897005624741888

GM

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »
So what's your solution?.

All I can sense is plenty of rhetoric and environmental waffle but ZERO actual solutions from you.

sgk

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 10:25:36 AM »
I spotted, when following another link about something else, that @William Wragg MP has published a statement about this on his own web site yesterday:

https://www.williamwragg.org.uk/news/environment-bill-storm-overflows-statement
Thanks for the link with William's update on his stance.   I'm hopeful he will vote in favour of the House of Lords amendment tomorrow then (Monday 8th November), which will reduce the amount of sewage pumped into our River Goyt.

Whichever way he votes, it's going to send an abundantly clear message to his constituents on how he ranks this environmental issue.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 02:57:21 PM »
I spotted, when following another link about something else, that @William Wragg MP has published a statement about this on his own web site yesterday:

https://www.williamwragg.org.uk/news/environment-bill-storm-overflows-statement
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the interesting map, sgk.  Obviously the black circles (especially the big ones) are a cause for concern. However, we can ignore the orange squares - those are just ordinary treated sewage discharges. 

GM

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »
Excluding Sewage as that's a relatively fixed amount, where do you expect to put all the storm water and run off from roads?

sgk

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:49:33 AM »
Taking the Town Street, Marple Bridge as an example.  Using the latest stats (2020) the sewage flowed into the Goyt some 36 times that year, for a total of 171 hours.   That's equivalent of 24 hours a day for a whole week. 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/e834e261b53740eba2fe6736e37bbc7b?data_id=dataSource_4-1788e0d0481-layer-54%3A15044

GM

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 11:16:26 PM »
Without going a little overboard and highlighting the point.

1mm of rain is 10m3 to the hectare.
Marple is circa 35km3, so 1mm is 35,000m3 of rain water.

Whilst that's obviously not all on tarmac area, it's got to go somewhere.

GM

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:58:57 PM »
If you read more about the issue and not just the linked list of MP's, it's generally only dumped as a last resort in times of heavy rainfall when storage is almost overwhelmed.

That's one of the reasons they built a massive storage tank on the edge of morrisons Bredbury to stop the water being released into the brook.

sgk

River Goyt, sewage dumping approved by MP
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:31:36 PM »
I find it infuriating that our MP William Wragg has voted for the dumping of raw sewage into rivers throughout the country, including the Goyt.

United Utilities alone made £602m profit this year, so having to properly handle sewage is clearly a tough ask.  Times are hard etc.

Source : https://evolvepolitics.com/heres-a-list-of-every-mp-who-just-voted-to-allow-water-companies-to-continue-dumping-raw-sewage-in-our-rivers/

I have written to him about this, but I expect a standard copy+paste reply of something handed to him by central goverment.