Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: New bid for rail link between Marple and Stockport  (Read 7200 times)

marplerambler

Re: New bid for rail link between Marple and Stockport
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 11:31:45 PM »
A 4 mile bus-only lane would cost over £100bn?  ???
Not bad for four buses per hour in each direction ie 383/384 every 20 minutes, one 358 per hour down to two or three in the evening though the money would be better spent on a tram from Rose Hill with a 90 degree turn and descent onto the Buxton line rather like that in Salford on the Eccles tram or a tram along existing line from Rose Hill to the M60 descending to the old railway line at the back of Essex Rd/Brindale Rd, Brinnington, under the Brinnington Rd tunnel by the old Jack & Jill pub, descend to Tiviot Way, across the almost derelict fields below Lancashire Hill flats to the bottom of Lancashire Hill, left across motorway then right along Princes St to Mersey Square/Bus station. We are no longer digging for Britain so the Rose Hill allotments would be suitable for a car park to take the cars that would no longer need to queue in the long jams to/from Stockport.

royal_marple

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »
For get it it wont happen .just something to comment about it would cost more than HS2

A 4 mile bus-only lane would cost over £100bn?  ???

amazon

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:36 PM »
Would a dedicated bus-only road from Marple to Stockport be a good compromise? They exist elsewhere but not sure what they're called.
For get it it wont happen .just something to comment about it would cost more than HS2 

royal_marple

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2021, 05:49:58 PM »
Would a dedicated bus-only road from Marple to Stockport be a good compromise? They exist elsewhere but not sure what they're called.

Dave

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
the fact that you might have a problem getting to Stockport isn't because there isn't a train route to it, a train route is therefore not the fix!

On the contrary, as I showed in a previous post, a train route is the fix, because it provides a 20-minute journey 24/7.  As opposed to how it is now, and will be for the foreseeable future:

Can regularly take 40 minutes on the bus to Stockport during rush hour.  All you need is one of those mornings where the traffic's backed up from Otterspool Road all the way up to the Co-op and you're screwed.

jimblob

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 09:27:19 AM »
Can regularly take 40 minutes on the bus to Stockport during rush hour.  All you need is one of those mornings where the traffic's backed up from Otterspool Road all the way up to the Co-op and you're screwed. 

I sometimes get the 0723 train from Stockport to London.  If I am, I get the bus from Marple at 0643.  Loads of time.
I sometimes get the 0823 train.  I get the bus around quarter past seven and it's touch and go as to whether I'll have time to relaxedly walk to the railway station, maybe grab a coffee, or whether I have to run.

The trouble is, the traffic tends to be heading to the M60, clogging everything up.  Once you're passed Otterspool Road, the bus tends to be fine.
Oh for a bypass to the M60 from Hazel grove.... (oh, but we're not allowed that are we!).

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
I'm happy for you if that's the case.  But I can't believe it's possible never to have had a problem travelling to Stockport from Marple!

I sometimes get the 0723 train from Stockport to London.  If I am, I get the bus from Marple at 0643.  Loads of time.
I sometimes get the 0823 train.  I get the bus around quarter past seven and it's touch and go as to whether I'll have time to relaxedly walk to the railway station, maybe grab a coffee, or whether I have to run.

The trouble is, the traffic tends to be heading to the M60, clogging everything up.  Once you're passed Otterspool Road, the bus tends to be fine.

jimblob

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 08:25:50 AM »
I'm happy for you if that's the case.  But I can't believe it's possible never to have had a problem travelling to Stockport from Marple!
the fact that you might have a problem getting to Stockport isn't because there isn't a train route to it, a train route is therefore not the fix!

jimblob

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:00 AM »
What is the route that you support being reinstated? Can we have a map or diagram please? Or at least a clear description.
Through Maple grove of course... doesn't everyone know where that is?

Melancholyflower

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 08:23:15 AM »
I live in Marple and work near Manchester airport. I have never had a problem travelling to Stockport and then a 15 min bus to the airport, and vice versa.

jimblob

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 08:21:56 AM »
A ludicrous and financially wasteful idea. Trains cannot go everywhere. There is a perfectly good bus service to Stockport which only takes 20 mins. If more people actually got the bus, there would be fewer cars on the road meaning quicker buses.

I live in Marple and work near Manchester airport. I have never had a problem travelling to Stockport and then a 15 min bus to the airport, and vice versa.
I often have cause to get to the airport for an early flight and am with @royal_marple on this, although sadly, the times I have to get to the airport are typically pre-6am and bus services are a little light at that time. I have often used the train but to get to the airport via Manchester, I might as well go via Carlisle! Let's Just have a few more buses, maybe some greener ones too! I fly to and work in Aberdeen and the buses there to/from the airport are frequent, 24/7, clean and cheap! I certainly don't need a car there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 06:14:30 AM »
Steve Gribbon writes ‘ Rather than confusing matters and calling it something else it seems best practise to use the name provided by the DoT,’ but actually, Steve, re-using a reference to a place which, as far as we can tell, is non-existent, really has ‘confused matters!’

Steve, can you enlighten us: what is the actual route of the railway line that you and Clllr Smart wrote to the DfT about?

I would reiterate this request @Steve Gribbon - What is the route that you support being reinstated? Can we have a map or diagram please? Or at least a clear description.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

royal_marple

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 04:30:40 AM »
A ludicrous and financially wasteful idea. Trains cannot go everywhere. There is a perfectly good bus service to Stockport which only takes 20 mins. If more people actually got the bus, thete would be fewer cars on the road meaning quicker buses.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »
Steve Gribbon writes ‘ Rather than confusing matters and calling it something else it seems best practise to use the name provided by the DoT,’ but actually, Steve, re-using a reference to a place which, as far as we can tell, is non-existent, really has ‘confused matters!’

Steve, can you enlighten us: what is the actual route of the railway line that you and Clllr Smart wrote to the DfT about?

amazon

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 05:41:49 PM »

Missed you last night ,Commitee meeting online  ;)