Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: New housing development at Rose Hill station?  (Read 4821 times)

Dave

Re: New housing development at Rose Hill station?
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 06:11:33 PM »
Thanks to Malcolm for posting those links to committee papers.

If you click on either of those links and scroll down, you'll reach a supporting committee paper called Stockport Stations Alliance. 

There are no maps, unfortunately, so it's still not possible to work out the site or scale of the proposed development.  However, here are a couple of key excerpts: 'Part of the development option with partners is to assume no parking loss at these stations'   And 'a degree of third party land will be needed.'

So that does throw a very small amount of light on the scheme: that the development won't be on the Rose Hill station car park (or if it is, alternative parking will be provided).  And it may partly be on land which is not currently publicly owned by the council, the government or Network Rail.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 03:32:59 PM »

This is to be expected now that the Lib Con groups took Stockport out of the GMSF - Stockport has to find a greater number of housing plots from within borough, these will fall in the areas where there is more green space and where developers can make extra cash.  It'll be nice to see some councillors acknowledge that this is what they voted for but I fully expect them to start blaming everyone apart from themselves.

The 4k houses in high lane may become a self fulfilling prophecy, but only after a long and costly legal battle where the council will spend thousands trying to stop the inevitable.

We can expect this going on for a long, long time.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
I'm also at the meeting that Steve is at on Tuesday. Both are "scrutiny" meetings where papers are considered for comment in advance of further progress. The paper is the same for both committees and is publicly available on the Council web site via the committee agenda. One is "Corporate Resource, Management and Governance" http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/g27168/Public%20reports%20pack%2013th-Apr-2021%2018.00%20Corporate%20Resource%20Management%20Governance%20Scrutiny%20Commi.pdf?T=10
and the other is "Economy and Regeneration".
http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/g27186/Public%20reports%20pack%2015th-Apr-2021%2018.00%20Economy%20Regeneration%20Scrutiny%20Committee.pdf?T=10

The paper indicates four stations have been looked at in principle so far and two preferred for further investigation, neither of those being Rose Hill.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
Many thanks Steve. We’ll look forward to your report. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
Maybe one of our councillors might be able to throw some light on it?

Good morning

I have 2 meetings this week where this will be discussed, CRMG tomorrow evening where I am guesting and Economy and Regeneration which is a scrutiny panel I chair. Both meetings can be viewed live via the Stockport.Gov website and I will report back on here accordingly after the 2 meetings. I will also catch up with my Councillor colleagues Becky Senior and Malcolm Allan regarding this matter.

Kind regards and stay safe

Steve

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:11:01 AM »
As the government still owns a lot of railway land I would initially be looking at old railway land around Rose Hill to get some idea of where might be being considered.

You are right Wheels - I've not been able to find any maps of railway owned land but it looks like you can find out via FOI requests (others have done this). However, the council do have maps showing their assets. Looking at this, the railways obviously own the car park and station land and may own the land used by Josh Robinson and Pearson Fuels (or they may own it themselves). It certainly doesn't amount to much without the council owned land.

The council own the Jewson's site, the tip, the access road with parking (all in yellow), the allotments and the Middlewood Way (in green) - see attached.

Personally I would not like to loose the tip and have to go to Bredbury and definitely wouldn't like to see the allotments built on either.

I've added a satellite view too. If Jewson's, the tip, the allotments and woodlands were used it would provide a significant area to build on. Is that what they are thinking?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 07:38:50 PM »
The most important thing about the withdrawal from the Spacial Framework is that Stockport now needs to build thousands more homes than it was going to in the framework.  Part of our quota - defined by government - was going to other boroughs.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
My understanding of the situation given the withdrawal of Stockport from GMSF was that the government is now looking at land it itself owns to provide land for housebuilding to satisfy the the towns future housing needs. As the government still owns a lot of railway land I would initially be looking at old railway land around Rose Hill to get some idea of where might be being considered.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »
The sites I was thinking of were hidden in different layers on that map you found @Cyberman 

This capture includes the Josh Robinson site that I recalled.
As @Dave says, it doesn't really stack-up with what is described in the article.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the link Cyberman.   I suppose it could possibly be the site south of Marple Brook. On the other hand, the article in my first link refers to ‘a total of six underused railway sites across the boroughs of Trafford and Stockport.’  You’d hardly call that bit of land an underused railway site!

Cyberman

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
I've found a map here - yes it shows the land S of Marple Brook, but nothing nearer to Rose Hill Station. Couldn't help noticing that land near Lower Watermeetings Farm, Compstall, is identified.  I suggest whoever builds there supplies free wellies!

https://mappinggm.org.uk/call-for-sites/#os_maps_outdoor/15/53.4005/-2.0677 - go to the "View The Map" link.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »
Maybe one of our councillors might be able to throw some light on it?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
First I've heard of this @Dave

I recall that when sites were being nominated for the GMSF (which Stockport has now opted out of I think) Josh Robinson's plot was tagged for potential development but that is hardly an estate, more like a couple of houses. Do you know if those Spatial Framework maps are still accessible online? They may give some clues to this.

I can't find them atm and can't remember but I think the fields to the south of Marple Brook were tagged on those too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

New housing development at Rose Hill station?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this:  https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/stockport-prepares-to-advance-lcr-station-plan/

It appears to be the latest development in a scheme set out in this glossy brochure:  https://lcrproperty.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Greater-Manchester-Alliance-Prospects-2021.pdf

It's not obvious where a new housing estate at Rose Hill could be located. The allotments? The tip?? Maybe on the nearby farm land west of the Middlewood Way.