Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Etherow Country Park  (Read 2254 times)

CTCREP

Re: Etherow Country Park
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »
My previous post appears to have been corrupted, so I sshall try again.

Etherow Country Park

This Post started about Etherow Country Park, but appears to have changed into a discussion about the law and Rollins Lane, so in order to keep this post about Etherow Country Park, I shall start a Rollins Lane post shortly.

So back to Etherow Country Park The road in Etherow Country Park from the Toilets near the Weir and leading up to Hurst Cottage is being re-surfaced.  See all pictures at the end of the post.

The steps leading down to Keg Pool from the far end of that road have been refurbished.  So it is good to see the Council taking some care of the Park.

The bridge over the outlet sluice of Keg Pool is still where it goes after every flooding of the river,   but as the small bridge on the footpath leading back to weir has been inspected, let us hope the Sluice bridge will be replaced by a permanent one, and some of the immediate paths in the area given some attention

[attachment deleted by admin]

CTCREP

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:35:28 PM »
This post was started as information about Etherow Country Park but has morphed int a discussion about Rollins Lane which I shall continue in a new Post.
So for those intested in Etherow Country Park, her what is going on.

I am sure we are all pleased to see that Etherow Country Park is getting some attention.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »
"Rollins Lane is a public right of way. It is a bridleway, which horse riders, cyclists and walkers are permitted to use.  SMBC are legally responsible for maintaining it to a standard appropriate for horse riders”.

This is what I have always been told by the Council, and the Council always caters for horse riders ignoring the fact that the Rollins Lane and other Bridleways is also used by Cyclists and Walkers. 

Indeed, but that is not because the council chooses to cater for horse riders and ignores cyclists and walkers - it is simply what the law dictates.   The relevant law is section 30 of the Countryside Act (1928):  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41.

"Riding of pedal bicycles on bridleways.
Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, [F107not being a mechanically propelled vehicle], on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.   The rights conferred by this section shall not affect the obligations of the highway authority, or of any other person, as respects the maintenance of the bridleway, and this section shall not create any obligation to do anything to facilitate the use of the bridleway by cyclists."

CTCREP

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 09:34:57 AM »
"Rollins Lane is a public right of way. It is a bridleway, which horse riders, cyclists and walkers are permitted to use.  SMBC are legally responsible for maintaining it to a standard appropriate for horse riders”.

This is what I have always been told by the Council, and the Council always caters for horse riders ignoring the fact that the Rollins Lane and other Bridleways aes also used by Cyclists and Walkers. 

The usage of Rollins Lane and the track through Brabyns Park by cyclists and walkers is probably a hundred times greater than the track in Etherow Country Park, and if brought up to the standard of several Bridleways in the Mellor Strines area, specifically designed for horses,  would allow even more to use it for travelling to work and school etc. which is in line with the Government’s desire to encourage more people to cycle or walk.

It would be interesting to hear who made the complaint about the road surface in Etherow Country Park and for what reason.   Can anyone shine any light on the subject?

Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
Rollins Lane is a public right of way. It is a bridleway, which horse riders, cyclists and walkers are permitted to use.  SMBC are legally responsible for maintaining it to a standard appropriate for horse riders

amazon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
I have just been told that the Council is proposing to close the trackin order to resurface it from the Weir Toilets in Etherow Country Park  up to and possibly beyond the Council’s equipment storage area which was once a mini zoo . 

The track is rough but has been like this for 20 years or more and is primarily used by  walkers equipped for such a surface.   The people I have spoken to, apart from the Council Workman who told me about it, can see no reason for this work to be undertaken when so many other tracks, such as Rollins Lane and the path through Brabyns Park,   need proper attention.

It is possible the workman misunderstood the area that was to be resurfaced as he was working for Stockport’s Highways Department, not the Parks Department, so why was he working in the Park?

Can anyone shine any light on this subject before more of our Council Tax Money, of which the Council claims not to have sufficient,   is spent on another unnecessary project while ignoring more urgent projects such as Rollins Lane etc..

If you think the resurfacing within the Park  is not a priority measure compared to other projects, please complain to the Council and our local Councilors.
More use Etherow than Rollins lane How many more times do you have to be reminded that Rollins lane is Private .

CTCREP

Etherow Country Park
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
I have just been told that the Council is proposing to close the trackin order to resurface it from the Weir Toilets in Etherow Country Park  up to and possibly beyond the Council’s equipment storage area which was once a mini zoo . 

The track is rough but has been like this for 20 years or more and is primarily used by  walkers equipped for such a surface.   The people I have spoken to, apart from the Council Workman who told me about it, can see no reason for this work to be undertaken when so many other tracks, such as Rollins Lane and the path through Brabyns Park,   need proper attention.

It is possible the workman misunderstood the area that was to be resurfaced as he was working for Stockport’s Highways Department, not the Parks Department, so why was he working in the Park?

Can anyone shine any light on this subject before more of our Council Tax Money, of which the Council claims not to have sufficient,   is spent on another unnecessary project while ignoring more urgent projects such as Rollins Lane etc..

If you think the resurfacing within the Park  is not a priority measure compared to other projects, please complain to the Council and our local Councilors.