Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation  (Read 20854 times)

GM

Re: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »
My driving isn't too bad, I see plenty of poor driving and even poor riding, its more they look like Jeremy Vine wannabes.

Not as bad as the weird people I see face time calling as they're walking along the pavements or in the countryside.

nbt

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
with the exclusion of those Go pro's stuck on the top types

why is that may I ask? do you think it says something about the cyclist or about your own driving?

Last year I started running cameras on the bike as frankly the standard of driving is becoming abominable and I was at time genuinely scared for my life while out on a gentle ride. Visible signs like a go-pro will often encourage drivers to reconsider how they drive
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

GM

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »
Without spending all day replying, whilst I don't mind the MAMIL, with the exclusion of those Go pro's stuck on the top types!.
Slowing traffic does nothing to improve or reduce pollution, I remember the great idea of a bus lane down the A6.
That definitely did not improve pollution for anyone and the traffic carnage it created.

Your dad is factually correct, the statistic has always been around 70% or more of all Defenders and Land rovers are still on the road today. You try buying any spare part for a Tesla vs a Landrover!, there is a reason why even 1948's land rovers are still working and its not necessarily just the engineering but its simplicity.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
As usual there are many issues at play that are expressed at different levels.

Climate change, this is happening and will have a profound impact on us all. Each of us has a duty to do what we can to reduce our environmental impact, some will chose not to eat meat, others cycle, others do nothing. If we make a choice to limit our impact it will have a knock on down supply chains, reducing emissions in developing/production countries.  We all equally live with the consequences whether we take action or not, just because we only pollute a little doesn't mean that our climate and weather won't change.

We then have the issue of speeding, there are many ways this can be resolved, traditional traffic calming measures, like chicanes and bumps or tech like GPS limiting. Reducing speed increased capacity, as vehicles can travel closer together.

We could shift to electric cars and renewable energy, this wouldn't solve the traffic congestion we suffer at peak hours, but would have a positive impact on global heating.

There is a intersection here, which is interesting to discuss. My Dad has an old Defender, he argues it is the most eco friendly car. This is because it was built 30+ years ago and has been in use ever since, the embedded carbon is tiny but the emissions are high. compare this to a Tesla, the embedded carbon is stratospheric but in use emissions negligible.

Which would you rather was sat in traffic on Lower Fold as you walk your 5 year old to school? Which is going to have a more significant overall impact on our climate?

Our town needs to change, physically and in mindset, thankfully many of us are involved in constructive discussions about positive change offline, so I'm confident that the change will happen.

My comments were made to highlight the fact that many pixels have been displaced to demonstrate how we have managed to reduce important topics to Farage-esq rhetoric, presenting tough choices as simple binary decisions. (remind you of anything!) a tiny fraction of the local population responding to a consultation exercise doesn't automatically mean exactly what you think or want to happen will happen regardless of how many hissy fits you have online. I'm happy to be Gretta, however I'm a late 30's BMW driving male who wants to do what I can to leave the world in a slightly better place for my Daughter.

At the moment this is through walking and cycling more and generally trying to reduce our consumption of and reliance on fossil fuels.

It's not hard.

wheels

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2021, 07:07:18 PM »
I don't think any of us can fail to realise and acknowledge your absolute and utter distain for any car usage.

Without any actual explanation of why you hate them.

I don't hate car drivers indeed like many other I am one but I am annoyed by drivers who think they should have priority on the roads when in fact most motorists are starting to realise that they must come bottom of the hierarchy on the road. As I said earlier something which is acknowledged by the latest edition of the Highway Code.

If I am inconvenienced by speed humps or 20mph restrictions in housing estates or town centres then that's all it is a slight inconvenience I don't behave as if I believe that the road are my private preserves and that I as a a motorists have greater rights than anyone else. Andys Fararge comment was an amusing but a accurate one.

GM

« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
So what's are the scores George doors!

jimblob

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
Now now!

[attachment deleted by admin]

GM

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2021, 04:32:48 PM »
I'm not a boomer, would that make you a gretta in this particular analogy?.

The world is not on fire, we as a country have done more than most to reduce our pollution, 1.1% according to the statistics.

Just remember your economic scooter is made in the words most polluting country on the planet.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2021, 03:46:07 PM »
Goodness me the boomers are angry today.

The world is on fire, change is necessary and inevitable, most people want a rational and informed discussion on how we manage a shift away from a reliance of fossil fuel and once again Marple gets Farage and Francois atop a speedhump 'taking back control'

How about GPS controlled speed limiting, I've been away recently and hired an electric scooter, it had GPS limiting on it and cost a few quid. Surely we can have them in cars / bikes etc. which w

GM

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »
I don't think any of us can fail to realise and acknowledge your absolute and utter distain for any car usage.

Without any actual explanation of why you hate them.

wheels

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
You seem to fail to understand that in the hierarchy of road users it is the motorist who comes bottome of the pile as the new edition of the Highway Code is about to make clear. Motorist have no greater rights over the roads than any other road users. Indeed they are at the bottom of the pyramid that's just something you are going to have to get used to.

GM

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2021, 11:53:31 AM »
Roads are not designed for pedestrians or children. They maybe designed to accommodate crossing for them, hence why we have paved areas along them.

You'll probably start to use your logic to slow down motorway traffic?

wheels

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2021, 11:45:42 AM »
You seem to think that roads are available for the use of motorists only. Pedestrians, horses riders, mobility scooters, children, cyclist,  buses all use the roads as well and have equal rights to do so as car users. Thus the more we can slow speeds down the better.

GM

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
Think you might need to remember all the humps in the middle of Marple regardless of the direction you want to go, there are humps.

Windlehurst = humps
Centre of Marple humps on all directions as you have to go via the lights at the old swimming pool
Hibbert lane = humps

All the side roads off Stockport Road have humps. So how is that a falsehood!.

Whilst Stockport might be trying to appease cyclists, surely I as a rate payer, car owner and government cash cow have slightly more right to a voice as I pay a lot for the privilege of getting the joys of using the humps ?

nbt

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
Personally, I have no intention of using my car less and I suspect that's the case for most people.

The council must know they cannot please everyone.

Maybe you're not the person the council is trying to please? perhaps they think that people shouldn't be driving cars so much

of course they also sem to think that people shouldn't be riding bikes eaither but that's a different issue
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist