Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation  (Read 21159 times)

Rebel_in_retirement

Re: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:17 AM »
Stockport Highways seem unable to acknowledge receipt of this request, their latest stance on this to me being direct from the Traffic Manager, stating;
                     "this is due to be discussed with the Marple North and South Ward Councillors in mid-June and I will update you on the outcome of those discussions."

Presumably this discussion took place. Does anyone have any view of progress?
Highways were quick to install the 'temporary measures' but unsurprisingly, the anti-car forces are clearly at work now, leading to the usual dragging of heels.

jimblob

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
And when will the ridiculous speed cushions in Marple and Romiley be removed, given that the justification, last year, was claimed to be to "assist social distancing"?  Local government is beyond parody.
Stockport Highways team have already had instruction from our local councillors on 25th March to remove the temporary measures based on public response gathered by said councillors showing 18% for, 68% against, 14% alternative measures  (ref below from my local councillor reporting this instruction to me)
                   "I have contacted the highways department today and asked for the Stockport Road speed bumps to be removed as soon as possible"
Stockport Highways seem unable to aknowledge receipt of this request, their latest stance on this to me being direct from the Traffic Manager, stating;
                     "this is due to be discussed with the Marple North and South Ward Councillors in mid-June and I will update you on the outcome of those discussions."
Seems selective deafness has taken over and any need for further discussion is entirely arbitrary. Needless to say, I have a stage 2 complaint raised against Stockport Highways on this matter dating back to November 2020 when the cushions were installed and their continued failure to repond to a direct question from me regarding the safety of the measures and their compliance with The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999. Somewhat frustratingly, Stockport Council's complaints procedure seems very good at stalling when it suits in order to protect their own. It's about time Stockport Highways were held to account, Windlehurst, the so called "roundabout" at the new builds on Hibbert Lane/Eddwards way, cycle lanes that are wider than the roadspace left for vehicles that cyclist will likely never use, speed humps galore at the behest of handfuls of "concerned" residents, it's been going on for years and there seems no stopping them.
As to Poynton's relief road, we'll always be the poor relation to Poynton until we stop seeing rescuing a cat from a tree as a triumph and talk less but act more on the big stuff. (or have our political allegiances swing a little further to the right)

Rebel_in_retirement

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
From jimblob
"...when Stockport Highways get a sniff of a new "Improvement scheme" ... (ahh the irony) to get their interfering little mits into with our money. Come on local councillors, can we just simply have them "removed in their entirety"; the exact question posed in the recent consultation run by the Highways Team and responded to with an overwhelming YES!"

Indeed, Local Authorities love a road project, and then enjoy restricting its use. After all the nonsense of Poynton's 'shared space', I see that the village is now to have a 'relief road', costing the astronomic sum of £52million, and for just 3,000 metres of road!
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/construction-starts-on-cheshire-relief-road/

And when will the ridiculous speed cushions in Marple and Romiley be removed, given that the justification, last year, was claimed to be to "assist social distancing"?  Local government is beyond parody.

GM

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Yeah "Ownership", until they force you to pay for permits to park outside, like on the one way church lane!.

I'm not exactly surprised our newly elected councillor who practically lives on Windlehurst Road has remained quiet on any solution to the outcome of the survey.

jimblob

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 09:52:33 AM »
The results of the consultation highlight the perversity of those who live on the roads.  In 2010, when I questioned the rationale for the traffic calming measures, Stockport Traffic Services stated that local residents had called for their installation and the Authority had acceded to the residents' demands.  It seems as if the residents may have grown to regret their folly.
Interesting thoughts, particularly when in other cases, (parking for example), local residents are told that they have no greater "ownership" of the road outside their house than any other tax paying road user or resident. Seemingly not the case when Stockport Highyways get a sniff of a new "Improvement scheme" ... (ahh the irony) to get their interferring little mits into with our money.
The problem now is that it's harder to have them removed than installed in the first place and an alternative MUST be sought according to Stockport Highways team. Come on local councillors, can we just simply have them "removed in their entirety"; the exact question posed in the recent consultation run by the Highways Team and responded to with an ovewhelming YES!

Rebel_in_retirement

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »
Consultation results are in for the Windlehurst and Hibbert Lane traffic calming. 945 responses, of which around 50% are from those who live on the roads themselves; a resounding result in my opinion. Of the two sections in question, an average of 81% think they should be removed. Well done to our local councillors who brought about this consultation, let's now make sure we follow this through and act on this overwhelming tide of public opinion.

The results of the consultation highlight the perversity of those who live on the roads.  In 2010, when I questioned the rationale for the traffic calming measures, Stockport Traffic Services stated that local residents had called for their installation and the Authority had acceded to the residents' demands.  It seems as if the residents may have grown to regret their folly.

CTCREP

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
Quite obviously Road Humps are an Outdated interference with Transportation, and if my recollections are correct, one of the reasons given for the recent introduction of humps in Marple and Romiley was that it would help Social Distancing. If true I can think of no more ridiculous reason for introducing them, particularly in the centre of Marple, where the pavement space has been reduced by bollards for years.

Another reason was that it would slow traffic.  This is true, but it only aggravates motorists and does nothing for pedestrians in the shopping area where they really want priority in order to cross the road at any point.

I think the Shopping area humps are simply bolted down and could be removed overnight.  I hope our Councillors will take up the issue.

As for an alternative there are simple things like Speed Cameras and Number Plate Recognition when Mobile Phone users could discover they had been fined before they had even left the area.

However with a Government that gives way to Motorists when they object to being caught for Law Breaking, and a Local Council that fails to cater for pedestrians and cyclists  when the Government is trying to reduce car use, little of benefit to the residents will be felt in the Stockport area.

jimblob

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
Who do we need to lobby to find out when the humps are going to be removed ?
It would be timely to do it asap if all the Marple to/from New Mills traffic is going to be forced along Windlehurst.
apparently, they have to do a further study to find an alternative!... not sure why as this was not the outcome or the objective of the consultation. Stockport Highways calling the shots as always with our money and against our wishes!
They've been asked to remove the temporary speed humps in Marple district centre too but are dragging their heels on that one despite again an overwhelming majority of residents asking their local councillors to have them removed!

andrewbowden

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »
It would be timely to do it asap if all the Marple to/from New Mills traffic is going to be forced along Windlehurst.

Don't know how much effort it is to remove a speed bump, but given it would mean roadworks, this probably isn't the time to do it as it would make things worse!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »

It would probably be best to contact our Marple South and High Lane Councillors @ColinMac  @Aron Thornley  or Shan Alexander.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ROTHERS

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »

jimblob

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 07:58:26 AM »
Consultation results are in for the Windlehurst and Hibbert Lane traffic calming. 945 responses, of which around 50% are from those who live on the roads themselves; a resounding result in my opinion. Of the two sections in question, an average of 81% think they should be removed. Well done to our local councillors who brought about this consultation, let's now make sure we follow this through and act on this overwhelming tide of public opinion.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jimblob

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
I would have thought a scheme  as well designed and presented as the Poynton scheme is exactly what Marple wants and would benefit from.
the small matter that Poynton is now getting a bypass perhaps helps your argument and will finally turn Poynton centre into a safe space rather than a confusing free-for-all
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/construction-starts-on-cheshire-relief-road/

this thread however is about Windlehurst as a primary route in and out of Marple, not Marple centre itself.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
I would have thought a scheme  as well designed and presented as the Poynton scheme is exactly what Marple wants and would benefit from. A scheme which makes it clear that road space is available equally to us all, pedestrians,  cyclists,  horse riders,  mobile scooter users, buses and car users. Such a scheme would help all road users and be a help to local traders as it would make it easier for shoppers to move about.

The current temporary installations are already successfully starting to positively alter drivers behaviour so let's see what the proposals brought forward are before condemning them and hopefully the area covered will be increased from the current rather limited one

I think there is no doubt local people would come to love a scheme similar to the Poynton scheme just as Poynton people love theirs.